Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davebquinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2002
london
I would be very thankful for any help on this

My late 2004 G5 dual 2.5 is misbehaving. It was working fine, I left it in the box before selling a couple of months ago and have decided to keep it now, but when I switch it on it powers up but the display screen is completely blank, black.

I've tested the hard drive, the ram and the screen, all no change. I have tried to use it as a target drive using firewire to a macpro with no success. I have taken out and refitted the graphics card

ATI RADEON 9600 XT with 128MB DDR SDRAM,

same story.

It starts up and then the fans go a bit mental and I have to switch off.

I'm stuck, could anyone give me a hand, do I need to replace the graphics card, if so what is an inexpensive option.

Thanks in advance

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I might sound like a broken record, but...

Check for coolant leaks. Thats what I thought was wrong with mine, because it sounded to start up just fine, beeps and buzzes, HD's spinning, I just wouldn't get any video. I was just about to go on eBay and buy a new graphics card when I noticed some yellow fuzz underneath the processors.

Panic ensued.
Google'd.
Apple repairs free of charge.
Excitement.
Called Apple.
Repairs didn't fix it, or they couldn't get all the parts they needed.
Got a free Mac Pro

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Its the graphics card or the driver for the card. Lots of times it just needs to be reseated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.