Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
I was wondering if anyone could post experiences. I am about to pull the trigger on an iMac for my wife, and i was going to save 300$ and get the core2duo processor. Anyone use it for Team fortress 2, half life 2, etc. on bootcamp? I am trying to gauge performance for when they release steam for mac in April, and figure out if I really need to spend extra for the i5 and 4850 graphics.
Thank you for all input/opinions.

thrustinj

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2007
I've tried it using my 24" inch with XP on bootcamp. Steam works great. The games do not. I tried demos for Little Ninjas and Dirt2. Neither would launch. I've also had issues with Need For Speed: World beta 4 not working either. Not sure if that one is a beta issue (the first beta worked) or XP/Bootcamp.

I'm waiting for the Mac Steam client to come out now.

rageguy

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
OP, your computer will be overkill. i just bought a 21.5" imac with the ati card that is weaker than your's. l4d2, tf2, mw2 all max resolution, max settings, entirely smooth.

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
I play Counter-Strike Source on XP Bootcamp on max settings and get about 120fps on average. Yours should be just fine. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.