Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:24 PM   #1
zoonose
macrumors newbie

Argh! :mad: Desktop icons keep moving out of place!

Can anyone help with this??

My desktop icons keep moving after reboot to the right hand side and arranged by name.

Now: I have tried resetting the the views options, changing the grid size, changing the icon size, repairing permissions in the disk utility. I have tried all these, with reboots in between and in differing orders... And I am about to cry.

I am running 10.6.2
zoonose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:35 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I could be wrong but I am fairly certain desktop items will always land on the right because that's how OS X rolls. The rest seems rather odd. My desktop mess is pretty much kept in place after numerous reboots. then again I'm not forcing them to the left side of the desktop.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:45 PM   #3
zoonose
macrumors newbie

cheers for your input jessica, but i mean that i like to place files & folders in locations on the desktop, along the top, down the left and in the midde (i.e. current projectS)

this works on my macbook, and used to work on my imac. but nowadays my imac just keeps moving them to the right.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:52 PM   #4
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Perhaps the hidden .DS_Store file in your Desktop is corrupted, which will cause this issue for sure. To fix this, you can use the Terminal method, the Dashboard method, or any number of other methods. Suffice to say, though - you need a way of showing hidden files. The method I use involves a Dashboard widget for showing and hiding hidden files, and I recommend it.

Anyway, once you have the hidden stuff no longer hidden, delete that .DS_Store file. Turn hidden files display back off, then log out and back in. Try setting your view options for the Desktop. Reboot. Do they stick now?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:41 AM   #5
martynmc7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
Perhaps the hidden .DS_Store file in your Desktop is corrupted (snip!) Anyway, once you have the hidden stuff no longer hidden, delete that .DS_Store file. Turn hidden files display back off, then log out and back in. Try setting your view options for the Desktop. Reboot. Do they stick now?
If you want to sort this out using Terminal then do this:

Once Terminal is open type:

Code:
$ cd Desktop
(without the $ obviously)

then

Code:
$ ls -a -F
If your desktop files show up then you're in the right place. This is also a good time to check that the .DS_Store file is there also.

Then

Code:
$ rm -i .DS_Store
When you're prompted hit 'y'

Close Terminal, logout then log back in. OS X will rebuild the .DS_Store file and hopefully if that is the issue then the icons should stop moving about.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:07 PM   #6
zoonose
macrumors newbie

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
Perhaps the hidden .DS_Store file in your Desktop is corrupted, which will cause this issue for sure. To fix this, you can use the Terminal method, the Dashboard method, or any number of other methods. Suffice to say, though - you need a way of showing hidden files. The method I use involves a Dashboard widget for showing and hiding hidden files, and I recommend it.

Anyway, once you have the hidden stuff no longer hidden, delete that .DS_Store file. Turn hidden files display back off, then log out and back in. Try setting your view options for the Desktop. Reboot. Do they stick now?
OMG !!! Woot - it worked!!

It was real easy, and now i am not quite sure why I never tried it. Deleting the file was easy as I deleted it through filezilla. It has the handy knack of displaying hidden folders, so this was fixed in about 3 secs.

< in love with it again.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:09 PM   #7
zoonose
macrumors newbie

thanks martynmc7

Thanks for your efforts in explaining how to delete the hidden file. Although it was real easy as i did it through Filezilla (ftp program) which displays hidden files and folders by default.

i am happy. i thought my mac was broken.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:26 PM   #8
martynmc7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoonose View Post
Thanks for your efforts in explaining how to delete the hidden file. Although it was real easy as i did it through Filezilla (ftp program) which displays hidden files and folders by default.

i am happy. i thought my mac was broken.
No problem, I'm glad you have it sorted!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:02 PM   #9
riklar
macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am facing the same problem.
I have tried the Terminal solution, but the third command told me it can't find it.
I have opened FileZilla and it displayed all hidden files including the .DS_Store file, but I can't find the way how to delete it from there.
I looked at the help files of the software, but couldn't find the answer.
Looking forward for help as how to delete the file out of FileZilla.

TIA
riklar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:20 AM   #10
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I could be wrong but I am fairly certain desktop items will always land on the right because that's how OS X rolls. ... My desktop mess is pretty much kept in place after numerous reboots. then again I'm not forcing them to the left side of the desktop.
If Arrange By is set to Name, or any other mode listed below Name, then the icons go to the right. Yours must be set to None. Mine is set to Snap to Grid, and I keep most of my chosen Desktop icons on the left side. They stay put, always.

Last edited by Gregg2; Jul 26, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:21 AM   #11
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by riklar View Post
Hello,

I have tried the Terminal solution, but the third command told me it can't find it.
I have opened FileZilla and it displayed all hidden files including the .DS_Store file, but I can't find the way how to delete it from there.

TIA
Remember, Terminal commands are case-sensitive.

Also, you should be able to hit the Delete key in Filezilla after selecting the offending file to get rid of it.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:54 AM   #12
myuserid08
macrumors 6502

I've got the same problem:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=887002

Will give that terminal command a go.

EDIT: It works, my icons now stay put!

Last edited by myuserid08; Apr 2, 2010 at 03:57 AM.
myuserid08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 06:31 PM   #13
martynmc7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by riklar View Post
Hello,

TIA
When you run the second command:

Code:
$ ls -a -F
Does it list the .DS_Store file?

If so then you must be entering the final command wrong. If you're not then there's something wrong as there's no reason terminal wont remove something when you ask it to and it can see it.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 02:44 AM   #14
riklar
macrumors newbie

Yes, the second terminal command gave the list of all the files.
But, the third one, even though, I copy and and paste it from your instructions, and as I did with the other terminal commands you offered.

Why it didn't work I can't imagine.
riklar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:53 PM   #15
spurzem
macrumors newbie

desktop icons moving on restart

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoonose View Post
Can anyone help with this??

My desktop icons keep moving after reboot to the right hand side and arranged by name.

Now: I have tried resetting the the views options, changing the grid size, changing the icon size, repairing permissions in the disk utility. I have tried all these, with reboots in between and in differing orders... And I am about to cry.

I am running 10.6.2

This is what worked for me...I noticed that the only icons moving were the ones labeled www.wherever....all I did was rename them leaving out the url and that was that...everything is staying put now
spurzem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:14 AM   #16
FrenchDamien
macrumors newbie

mad icon positions

Hi,

I've been facing the same problem in my MacBook Air (10.6.5), in which I imported folder and files from my MacBook Pro (10.6.5).

But it does not affect only icons on the deskboard : it may affect, randomly, any icons of any folder's level or sub-level. Sometimes nothing changes for weeks and sometimes some sub-folders or deskboards folders go crazy.

I tried everything including erasing the .DS files but the problem keeps happening.

This is very annoying. I use DIM for the deskboard folders but it doesn't work on sub-folders of course.

So I now have to take screen pictures of particularly loaded sub-folders, in order to be able to rearrange them the way I want when this happens. This is crazy and really getting on my nerves.

If anybody has a tip about this I'd be happy to know !

Thanks
FrenchDamien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:41 PM   #17
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchDamien View Post
I tried everything including erasing the .DS files but the problem keeps happening.
That's not really useful information. Without re-reading from the top....
Does "everything" include replacing the Finder and Desktop plist files?

that's really odd behavior, and something I've never experienced on a Mac.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:55 AM   #18
FrenchDamien
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Does "everything" include replacing the Finder and Desktop plist files?
No... What does that consists in ?
FrenchDamien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:26 PM   #19
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchDamien View Post
No... What does that consists in ?
In your Home Folder (Users/UserName)

Library/Preferences (make sure it's the Library in your Home folder!)

find
com.apple.finder.plist
com.apple.desktop.plist

Drag one to the Desktop, restart the computer.
Test it. If the problem is still present, try the other file, same steps.
Doing the separately will tell you which one was corrupt.

If neither one was, you should try logging in under a different user account.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:40 AM   #20
eedoo
macrumors newbie

There is a discussion going on about the problem on the Apple Support Forums at
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

It seems that people there have tried just about everything, but the problem refuses to go away.
eedoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:42 AM   #21
professortiki
macrumors newbie

I did that, but...

I did just that, but after restart the icons on the desktop were all back to the right side again. Is there anything else I have to perform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynmc7 View Post
If you want to sort this out using Terminal then do this:

Once Terminal is open type:

Code:
$ cd Desktop
(without the $ obviously)

then

Code:
$ ls -a -F
If your desktop files show up then you're in the right place. This is also a good time to check that the .DS_Store file is there also.

Then

Code:
$ rm -i .DS_Store
When you're prompted hit 'y'

Close Terminal, logout then log back in. OS X will rebuild the .DS_Store file and hopefully if that is the issue then the icons should stop moving about.
professortiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:24 AM   #22
nottooshabby
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by professortiki View Post
I did just that, but after restart the icons on the desktop were all back to the right side again. Is there anything else I have to perform?
Did anybody find a solution to this? I just migrated from a macbook running snow leopard to macbook air with lion and I am now having this issue. Every 2-3 restarts all my desktop icons get moved to the right or disappear completely. Adjusting the grid size gets them back if they disappear completely.
nottooshabby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:47 PM   #23
Gregg2
macrumors 601

This is not normal behavior. I set my icons where I want them and they never shift around unless I move them. You are doing or have done something that is causing this, such as changing a setting or adding OS "enhancement" software.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:09 PM   #24
nottooshabby
macrumors regular

There are quite a few threads on this on the apple support forums. A few methods are suggested to fix. Works for some but not others.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=30&tstart=0

Hoping somebody that has resolved this has a magic bullet.
nottooshabby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:49 AM   #25
toastosx
macrumors newbie

DS Store issue resolved

Mac Pro2012 - OS 10.8.4 -

I used the same terminal commands from above (Martynmc7 )and the problem was fixed in about 15 seconds, thanks .....
toastosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X