Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanfacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Hi all

I have just got a new DSLR and started playing around with iphoto and doing some basic photography. I would like to know if their are any good free editors available for a beginner. I have been using iphoto for a while now and love it but I would like to take it one step further. The main function I would like is the ability to to lay one photo on-top of another one ( if you get what I mean ? ) I would be grateful for any help/ideas.

Cheers

AndyGordon

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire, UK
You could do a lot worse than using the GIMP

http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

This is free, does most of what Photoshop does (from a photographers perspective), including laying one photo on top of another (Layers). You need to invest a bit of time learning, but my 9 year old has started playing with it (with a bit of help from Dad) and YouTube examples

Cheers

ps, you can also incorporate the GIM into iPhoto workflow as you can select it as your external editor

Andy

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
What brand DSLR did you buy?

With Canon you get DPP, a free, but professional quality RAW editor.

You can do decent work with a RAW editor only.

For advanced editing:

I wouldn't waste my time with free software. Get at least Photoshop elements.

AndyGordon

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire, UK
I would disagree with Nostromo - I use a Mac with Apple's Aperture and occasionally Adobe's Lightroom, as well as iPhoto.

Given the power of Aperture/Lightroom the few things that can't be done there can be done in GIMP (Free), Adobe elements (Not Free) or the full-on Photoshop if money is no object.

Don't dismiss Open software just cause it aint Adobe - you may be surprised at the quality of this free ware - I certainly was to the point that I have not (and will not) upgrade my version of CS3 any further

But, hey, take a look first - my 9yr old can use it :)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Don't forget GraphicConverter. It is a wonderful application, but it is not free. However, if you don't pay the fee, then it is fully-functional nagware.

AndyGordon

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire, UK
Just a small point, assuming the OP is reading this thread still, his/her interest was in putting one photo on top of another - which is beyond all (as far as I am aware) software that comes with camera's, and certainly beyond iPhoto, Aperture and Lightroom products.

This leaves products such as Photoshop (elements and full version) GIMP etc.

GIMP, and I am sure a few others will enable this through things like Layers, selective copying and pasting from one image to another etc, so to the OP you will need an imaging editing program that goes beyond Raw conversion and image adjustments (i.e. corrections)

The original requirement was for Free software - and GIMP fits all their criteria

And again for the OP - have a play with the suggestions I and others have made.

Cheer

Andy

ryanfacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to give GIMP a go today and have a play.

Cheers

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
I have to quickly mention www.pixlr.com - it's an online photo editor (no downloading or whatever) and it does the overlay thing and a ton of other things, like adobe photoshop etc....give it a shot! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.