Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Mar 30, 2010, 08:06 AM   #1
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502

Gold digging - is sale of account doable?

Hey there. Question for you all.

I have one of the earliest mobileme accounts, and therefore one of the easiest email addresses. That said, I am thinking of letting MobileMe go at the end of my current subscription. I find the only thing I use it for can be got elsewhere for far cheaper.

What I was wondering is if there's a market for people selling their enviable MobileMe accounts, and if it's even legal to do so?
AppleInLVX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Macsterguy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInLVX View Post
Hey there. Question for you all.

I have one of the earliest mobileme accounts, and therefore one of the easiest email addresses. That said, I am thinking of letting MobileMe go at the end of my current subscription. I find the only thing I use it for can be got elsewhere for far cheaper.

What I was wondering is if there's a market for people selling their enviable MobileMe accounts, and if it's even legal to do so?
I have a number of mac.com email addresses but I certainty wouldn't pay for the letters "mac"...
Our passion: www.matamoroschildrenshome.org
Macsterguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:02 AM   #3
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsterguy View Post
I have a number of mac.com email addresses but I certainty wouldn't pay for the letters "mac"...
The letters are my initials. I know that when I originally signed up, there were a number of people vying for that name. I wondered if, assuming for the moment that anyone would even want it, there was a way to profit. If not, I assume it just lapses and someone else picks it up, which is fine.

I just wanted to seize an opportunity if it does indeed exist.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:26 AM   #4
JNB
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
Usernames, once used, aren't recycled like phone numbers. Once taken, they're not made available again by pretty much any provider I'm aware of.

JNB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:30 AM   #5
slpdLoad
macrumors 6502a

It won't lapse and be available at any point in the future. It's yours.

I'm sure somebody would be willing to buy it, but it wouldn't be through any official channels.

I would never trust anyone enough to buy or sell something like that. It's not like a phone number where you can officially get it changed over. You're giving someone else your email password. Friends, family, bills, etc that send to that email address are now fair game to the person you sell to. Just something to think about.
slpdLoad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:31 AM   #6
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB View Post
Usernames, once used, aren't recycled like phone numbers. Once taken, they're not made available again by pretty much any provider I'm aware of.
Agreed, Apple doesn't reuse email addresses. They're tied to too many things that could really cause headaches. Apple's support forum, itunes, are just two examples.

Given the the fact that you can register your own domain, a short email address isn't in too much demand at this stage.

I also have been an .mac user since day one (back when it was called iTools), though I will renew as the work to change my email addresses eclipses the cost savings.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:46 PM   #7
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502

Well, none of my 'important' mail comes to the mobileme email, so it wouldn't be an issue. However, I had no idea that Apple didn't reuse emails. It does make sense, now that I think about it.

I wonder if they'd give me my account back if I left for 3 years?

Thank you all for your feedback. That was really helpful.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services