Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Hey there. Question for you all.

I have one of the earliest mobileme accounts, and therefore one of the easiest email addresses. That said, I am thinking of letting MobileMe go at the end of my current subscription. I find the only thing I use it for can be got elsewhere for far cheaper.

What I was wondering is if there's a market for people selling their enviable MobileMe accounts, and if it's even legal to do so?

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Hey there. Question for you all.

I have one of the earliest mobileme accounts, and therefore one of the easiest email addresses. That said, I am thinking of letting MobileMe go at the end of my current subscription. I find the only thing I use it for can be got elsewhere for far cheaper.

What I was wondering is if there's a market for people selling their enviable MobileMe accounts, and if it's even legal to do so?

I have a number of mac.com email addresses but I certainty wouldn't pay for the letters "mac"...

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
I have a number of mac.com email addresses but I certainty wouldn't pay for the letters "mac"...

The letters are my initials. I know that when I originally signed up, there were a number of people vying for that name. I wondered if, assuming for the moment that anyone would even want it, there was a way to profit. If not, I assume it just lapses and someone else picks it up, which is fine.

I just wanted to seize an opportunity if it does indeed exist.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
It won't lapse and be available at any point in the future. It's yours.

I'm sure somebody would be willing to buy it, but it wouldn't be through any official channels.

I would never trust anyone enough to buy or sell something like that. It's not like a phone number where you can officially get it changed over. You're giving someone else your email password. Friends, family, bills, etc that send to that email address are now fair game to the person you sell to. Just something to think about.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Usernames, once used, aren't recycled like phone numbers. Once taken, they're not made available again by pretty much any provider I'm aware of.

Agreed, Apple doesn't reuse email addresses. They're tied to too many things that could really cause headaches. Apple's support forum, itunes, are just two examples.

Given the the fact that you can register your own domain, a short email address isn't in too much demand at this stage.

I also have been an .mac user since day one (back when it was called iTools), though I will renew as the work to change my email addresses eclipses the cost savings.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Well, none of my 'important' mail comes to the mobileme email, so it wouldn't be an issue. However, I had no idea that Apple didn't reuse emails. It does make sense, now that I think about it.

I wonder if they'd give me my account back if I left for 3 years? ;)

Thank you all for your feedback. That was really helpful. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.