Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:39 PM   #1
shagey36
macrumors newbie

Cost to repair audio jack at apple store?

Does anybody have an estimate as to how much it would cost to replace the audio jack on a 1st gen ipod touch at an apple store?

I called but they wouldnt give me an estimate so I was hoping somebody out there could give me some sort of estimate
shagey36 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:14 PM   #2
carlosbutler
macrumors 6502a

Enough to make you consider buy a new iPod Touch...
easy-bills.co.uk
carlosbutler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:16 PM   #3
BraveArts
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagey36 View Post
Does anybody have an estimate as to how much it would cost to replace the audio jack on a 1st gen ipod touch at an apple store?

I called but they wouldnt give me an estimate so I was hoping somebody out there could give me some sort of estimate
I take it you mean the jack socket on the iPod and not the jack plug on the headphones?

That being the case, what's the problem? It may be that you can fix it yourself quite easily.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:37 PM   #4
shagey36
macrumors newbie

It's not the headphones. I've tried them in other devices and they are totally fine. I've also tried other headphones in the iPod and they don't work either so it has to be something wrong with the iPod.

The problem is that I only get audio out of one ear...if I push the plug in really tight I can hear both ears but as soon as I release the pressure I lose the ear.
shagey36 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:50 PM   #5
mrbrown
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to mrbrown Send a message via AIM to mrbrown Send a message via MSN to mrbrown Send a message via Yahoo to mrbrown
Have you checked the inside of the jack? Sometimes debris gets pushed down to the bottom of the jack and can prevent you from plugging your headphones in all the way, which would cause the symptoms your iPod touch is exhibiting.

I've had it happen before with my iPhone, and I've usually been able to clean it out using a really thin screwdriver (i.e. a jeweler's screw driver).
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:21 PM   #6
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Bring lube.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch