Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Apr 1, 2010, 07:36 AM   #1
jamundj
macrumors newbie

All iPhone music greyed out in iTunes on new computer

I recently lost my computer to a harddisk failure. Now when I plug my iPhone to my new computer, all the songs are greyed out in iTunes and i'm not allowed to play them. As all my music was on my now broken computer I no longer have the music, so I can't just add it again. The music is still on my iPhone so is there some way I can get around this issue and let iTunes play my music again or maybe a way of transfering the music from my iPhone to my computer without using iTunes?

Really hope someone can help me!!
Jonas
jamundj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 07:42 AM   #2
AdamA9
macrumors 6502a

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0110161..._qdr=all&meta=

Good luck
AdamA9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 07:56 AM   #3
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

You don't say if you have a Mac or PC. For a PC get Sharepod (free). For a Mac get expod (Free).

BTW, you can't use your iPhone like an iPod. In other words, you can't play anything from the iPhone when plugged into a computer. The stuff has to be on the computer and you play it from there. Sucks, but that's the way it is.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:10 AM   #4
jamundj
macrumors newbie

Thanks alot!!

Sharepod is the answer! Works perfect!
Guess i'll just have to make a new playlist to play it in iTunes but now it's on my PC.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:38 AM   #5
pixelated
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamundj View Post
Now when I plug my iPhone to my new computer, all the songs are greyed out in iTunes and i'm not allowed to play them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
BTW, you can't use your iPhone like an iPod. In other words, you can't play anything from the iPhone when plugged into a computer. The stuff has to be on the computer and you play it from there. Sucks, but that's the way it is.
The songs are greyed out because you have 'Automatically sync when iPhone is connected' selected.
If you chose to 'manually manage music and videos' the media is no longer greyed out and you can play it directly.
pixelated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:51 AM   #6
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelated View Post
The songs are greyed out because you have 'Automatically sync when iPhone is connected' selected.
If you chose to 'manually manage music and videos' the media is no longer greyed out and you can play it directly.
I don't remember that, since it's been so long since I had "manual" selected. However, I thought this was a gripe about the iPhone....that you couldn't use it that way (i.e., to play music like an iPod). If so, great.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:00 AM   #7
jamundj
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Just tried this but it saids that it will erase my library as it is synced with another iTunes library. Won't this delete all my music instead of allowing me to play it?

Another problem is that now I can't add any songs at all to iTunes!! When I try to drag and drop into iTunes the files just get a red cross and it won't let me drop it...

What to do?!!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:09 AM   #8
pixelated
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamundj View Post
Just tried this but it saids that it will erase my library as it is synced with another iTunes library. Won't this delete all my music instead of allowing me to play it?

Another problem is that now I can't add any songs at all to iTunes!! When I try to drag and drop into iTunes the files just get a red cross and it won't let me drop it...

What to do?!!
You can't drag and drop songs off the iphone.

Make sure your itunes is authorised with the account used to buy songs/apps:
iTunes>Store>authorise computer

Then to Transfer apps :
iTunes>File>Transfer Purchases from iphone

And did you not transfer the music across with SharePod?
If the data in my phone is in the library, even when it says it will erase and re-sync, it doesn't. Hope its the same for you
pixelated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:17 AM   #9
jamundj
macrumors newbie

Quote:
You can't drag and drop songs off the iphone.

Make sure your itunes is authorised with the account used to buy songs/apps:
iTunes>Store>authorise computer

Then to Transfer apps :
iTunes>File>Transfer Purchases from iphone

And did you not transfer the music across with SharePod?
If the data in my phone is in the library, even when it says it will erase and re-sync, it doesn't. Hope its the same for you
I've transfered all my music from my iPhone to my PC using SharePod, now when I try to drag and drop this music into a new iTunes playlist the files get a red cross and they won't be added.
These are not songs i've puchased from iTunes. These are all the mp3's i've recieved over the years from cd's and downloads.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting