Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Apr 3, 2010, 01:09 PM   #1
sesnir
macrumors 6502

iPad VGA Accessory Limitations

I was hoping I could use the VGA cable accessory with the Netflix and ABC apps... but you can't :\ You're limited to the "Videos" app and the YouTube app it seems.

I wonder if third party developers can take advantage of this accessory or if it'll just be the first missed opportunity on the iPad I've encountered.

So just a heads up for other people who thought the cable would be a bit more useful.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 01:13 PM   #2
BmoreDrumGuy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesnir View Post
I was hoping I could use the VGA cable accessory with the Netflix and ABC apps... but you can't :\ You're limited to the "Videos" app and the YouTube app it seems.

I wonder if third party developers can take advantage of this accessory or if it'll just be the first missed opportunity on the iPad I've encountered.

So just a heads up for other people who thought the cable would be a bit more useful.
Thanks for the info. I was a bit curious to what limitations the thing had. Videos is good, and so is youtube, but the netflix one is a downer indeed. Have you tried it with pages, keynote, or numbers? curious about those too...
BmoreDrumGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 01:13 PM   #3
boss1
macrumors 6502a

Keynote works also. Apple shows this on their iPad video demo

I'm looking for an answer to this also.

Can 3rd party devs take advantage of the video out? or no?
boss1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 01:19 PM   #4
BmoreDrumGuy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss1 View Post
Keynote works also. Apple shows this on their iPad video demo
Aces! Thanks! Guess we'll learn more soon....photos would be good, too!
BmoreDrumGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 03:53 PM   #5
sesnir
macrumors 6502

I tried Pages and Numbers and it didn't make use of the VGA cable... didn't buy Keynote.

I'm hoping Netflix just didn't have access to a physical iPad + VGA cable so they couldn't code/test it before today. Hopefully Apple lets them use it... in fact, I'm going to go check the dev documentation.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:06 PM   #6
sesnir
macrumors 6502

Fail... so I bought a Lost season 6 episode in HD and tried playing it on my monitor at home. It worked.

So I come to work, lunch time comes, I hook it up to the LCD we have here and got this error: "The connected display is not authorized to play protected movies"

So we had to watch it off of the iPad screen instead.

Also, none of the "digital copies" (that some bluray movies include) worked either.

So...

1) What's the point of preventing me from hooking the iPad up to *some* monitors but not others? Especially when I don't *need* the monitor to view videos?

2) Doesn't this kind of thing push people to piracy?

I'm going to try a Lost S6 episode in standard def and see if it works. If not, the VGA cable is going back to the store.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:10 PM   #7
Ikyo
macrumors 6502

Sounds like to me it has something to do with the HDCP compliances and it not working over the VGA adapter.
Ikyo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:11 PM   #8
TraceyS/FL
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikyo View Post
Sounds like to me it has something to do with the HDCP compliances and it not working over the VGA adapter.
The dock connector cable probably will work.

I don't have anything protected to try or I would for you.
TraceyS/FL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:21 PM   #9
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Fail... so I bought a Lost season 6 episode in HD and tried playing it on my monitor at home. It worked.

So I come to work, lunch time comes, I hook it up to the LCD we have here and got this error: "The connected display is not authorized to play protected movies"

So we had to watch it off of the iPad screen instead.

Also, none of the "digital copies" (that some bluray movies include) worked either.

So...

1) What's the point of preventing me from hooking the iPad up to *some* monitors but not others? Especially when I don't *need* the monitor to view videos?

2) Doesn't this kind of thing push people to piracy?

I'm going to try a Lost S6 episode in standard def and see if it works. If not, the VGA cable is going back to the store.
The digital copies that come with dvds and blu-rays weren't encoded for playback on the iPad as it wasn't in the wild yet.

No doubt they will in the future
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:22 PM   #10
sesnir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
The digital copies that come with dvds and blu-rays weren't encoded for playback on the iPad as it wasn't in the wild yet.

No doubt they will in the future
They work when played off of the iPad screen directly - not sure if that's what you meant.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:24 PM   #11
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
They work when played off of the iPad screen directly - not sure if that's what you meant.
misread your post. My bad.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:26 PM   #12
detz
macrumors 65816

Wow, that sucks. I was hoping to use it with an external display for email and web.
detz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:43 PM   #13
sesnir
macrumors 6502

Update: The Lost SD episode works fine with the VGA cable. It's definitely the HDCP compliance issue but still, it's just a pointless limitation.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:58 PM   #14
ryanv
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Doesn't seem to work with an iPhone, either.
ryanv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:18 PM   #15
spiderguy84
Banned

Everything I have read as a developer is that video out CAN work on any third party app as long as the developer has built in that functionality. So, hopefully that means in future that people can make some good third party apps for it.
spiderguy84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:33 PM   #16
jejagua
macrumors member

Web demos via VGA?

So, I take it that it's not possible to display a web page from Safari on the iPad via the VGA connector? Major dealbreaker if a sales presentations involves a web demo.
jejagua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:44 PM   #17
iSee
macrumors 68040

Man, there should be a mode to simply mirror the screen.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 06:12 PM   #18
sesnir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSee View Post
Man, there should be a mode to simply mirror the screen.
Agreed... for some reason they put the power of the VGA cable in the hands of developers rather than have some global guaranteed functionality.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 06:51 PM   #19
iPadFan
macrumors newbie

Have you tried on Photo? Could you view Slide Show from Photo app?

Thanks.
iPadFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 06:55 PM   #20
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Update: The Lost SD episode works fine with the VGA cable. It's definitely the HDCP compliance issue but still, it's just a pointless limitation.

Same thing with pc. HD media can only be played over encrypted connections
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 07:35 PM   #21
kmt
macrumors newbie

Any thoughts on why Safari can't use the VGA? Is it technical or does Apple have some business motivation, perhaps to not compete with Macbooks.
kmt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 07:37 PM   #22
jeremyblevins
macrumors member

Quote:
They do the hdcp so you can't hook up a product down stream that can record the HD content. Honestly I think it's stupid, but it's the media companies.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 09:01 PM   #23
spiderguy84
Banned

I talked with CSR and they said that all HD movies should play perfectly fine over any monitor that is hooked up with VGA Cable.
spiderguy84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 08:34 AM   #24
sesnir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyblevins View Post
They do the hdcp so you can't hook up a product down stream that can record the HD content. Honestly I think it's stupid, but it's the media companies.
Thanks for the explanation. If people want to copy HD content, they'll find a way :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderguy84 View Post
I talked with CSR and they said that all HD movies should play perfectly fine over any monitor that is hooked up with VGA Cable.
I tried four fairly new monitors at work. Both Dell and HP. Google says it's also an issue that affects Apple TV and even other macs too. Maybe I'll contact Apple too and see what they say.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 02:21 PM   #25
jazz1
macrumors 6502a

No Safari Over VGA?

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/09/real-...nec/#continued

Tuaw has a nice article on making presentation via VGA. What I find disappointing is that Safari won't display. I've been planning to use Keynote and Safari for an orientation program. Looks like I'll stick with my MBP for that purpose and hope I can at least run my Mac via the iPad. Maybe that will be better as I won't be tethered to the A/V kiosk.
jazz1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories