Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheels524

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
St. Louis
I am going to get one of the current generation iMacs and am deciding between the upgraded 21.5" model or the base 27" model. What is everyone's thoughts purchasing a refurbed model through Apple versus a brand new model?

I realize that I won't get the original packaging, but I can still get Applecare for a refurb so am leaning towards doing that and saving $100-$200 bucks in the process. Thanks for your help in advance!

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
I prefer new, but only because I can get a new one for close to the cost of a refurb.

I have bought several refurbs because the cost couldnt be beat, they were OK, but didnt look new.

Others will claim otherwise, thats probably true as well.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I'm a fan of refurb if you can get one the way you want. you'll save a little extra money, why not.

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
A referb IS new. Given two identical machines in front of you, the ONLY way to tell the referb from new is the serial number.

wessew

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
There are reports of some refurbs having minor scratches on them. That is not new. They are used machines which have been returned for some reason. Some may have had problems which may or may not have been repaired by an Apple tech who may or may not have seen the yellow screen, noisy hard drive, etc. Need I go on?

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Refurb

I'd definitely go for the refurb, the one i'm using looked like it was new when it arrived.

Would you be able to return it if you weren't happy with the condition of it when it arrived? That would be fine in the UK, but i'm not sure of the rules in the US.

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
Oh. My. God. Scratches!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! The world has ended!

Seriously, you're getting a big discount. Unless people will be inspecting your machine scratches are a non-issue. Go to any new car lot, I challenge you to find a single brand new car with absolutely no blemishes.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
I received the base model 27" Imac about 10 days ago. It is perfect and everything looks brand new. Great deal and would do it again without hestitation

mystikjoe

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
refurb allll the way.

i love my new imac. with that being said i really don't believe that apple is doing anything to the refurbs just a quick diagnostic test and then reship them. if there is a screen problem when it's returned there is a screen problem when it's shipped to you. why would you want someone else's problem. my first two screens were horrible. my new one is great. for 100-200 dollars more i'll take a better screen and smile. just my 2 cents.

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
my first two screens were horrible. my new one is great. for 100-200 dollars more i'll take a better screen and smile. just my 2 cents.

Were your first two screens refurbs?

It has a year of AppleCare for an option of 2 more. If I can get the same screen problems with a new one, why wouldn't I try and save 2-300 bucks?

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Refurb, you save money and it actually will decrease the chances of problems.

You wont get the fancy box though. :cool:

redshift1

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
i love my new imac. with that being said i really don't believe that apple is doing anything to the refurbs just a quick diagnostic test and then reship them. if there is a screen problem when it's returned there is a screen problem when it's shipped to you. why would you want someone else's problem. my first two screens were horrible. my new one is great. for 100-200 dollars more i'll take a better screen and smile. just my 2 cents.

Doesn't make sense, many are returned because of valid reasons and need repair why purposely resell a broken computer when you still need to repair it.

If Apple was selling defective refurbs this forum would be aflame with screaming posts about defective refurbs. Apple might be pushing the limits on quality control but they are not dumb.

mystikjoe

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Doesn't make sense, many are returned because of valid reasons and need repair why purposely resell a broken computer when you still need to repair it.

If Apple was selling defective refurbs this forum would be aflame with screaming posts about defective refurbs. Apple might be pushing the limits on quality control but they are not dumb.

I spend more time reading these forums than most and there a lot of posts about yellow refurbs! Hopefuuly those issues will be fixed as well!

redshift1

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
I spend more time reading these forums than most and there a lot of posts about yellow refurbs! Hopefuuly those issues will be fixed as well!

Yes, if it's returned because of the yellow cast issue it may not be repaired as the problem while real has a subjective component.

easepease

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
Colorado
Refurb, I have only bought one of my macs new and the only difference was the box and the cost... But I am 4/4 with perfect refurbs!

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
A referb IS new. Given two identical machines in front of you, the ONLY way to tell the referb from new is the serial number.

The two G5 towers I bought as refurbs were no where near "new".

Dusty film on the inside of the cases, broken tab on the fan cage and some other stuff. No returns.

Again, for me, an Apple refurb price + tax = macconnection/amazon new price - rebate and no tax. YMMV.

Mrccartel

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
columbia SC
I save EVERY box and when i got a refurb imac like 2 years ago it came in a brown box and i shipped it back before i even opened it and purchased it new. i LOVE boxes!

jaycee520

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
There are reports of some refurbs having minor scratches on them. That is not new. They are used machines which have been returned for some reason. Some may have had problems which may or may not have been repaired by an Apple tech who may or may not have seen the yellow screen, noisy hard drive, etc. Need I go on?

..mine had the hardrive noise..called Tech Support and acknowledge the problem but theres no fix to it so it went back...

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Funny you should post this as today I just received my iMac 27 in I5 refurb and so far I got to tell you it's gorgeous and no way can you tell that it's a refurb.

I see none of the flaws that others experienced especially the screen issues. So, so far IM a real happy camper.

This is the 2 nd refurb I picked up from Apple and Both have been just like brand spanking new. I can not tell whatsoever. Plus I saved $300 and put that towards my iPad.--))))

I would get a refurb again and not hesitate. Best of luck in whatever decision you make! ;)

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
try refurb all the way , JUST IN CASE if some thing is wrong .. just return it ... you still have the same return policy and warranty with refurb as new , the ONLY thing different would be the box which you get your imac in ... new one's have a prettier box that's it ! thats the only thing you will miss out on

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Buying a refurb is like playing Russian Roulette. You never know if you're gonna get a good or bad one. Better off buying new.

Not true. If you ask any veteran member here, they will all tell you that refurb is definitely worth it. You can get a bad one no matter is it new or refurb. Refurb should have been tested by a human as well. Same return and warranty policy too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.