Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Post them here, I will do the best I can to add them all here.

Let's see if we can find these apparent 100 new features.

photok.png

My phone is now more secure!

You can make the passcode VERY long.

If you have a badge notification in an app inside a folder you get this:

skitched-20100409-042150.jpg

Every default app got its icon revised.

IPhonehomescreen.PNG
img0408124555_uz2uo9.jpg

There are more features that are coming out that haven't been mentioned. Another feature:

iPhone OS 4.0 spotlight lets you directly search web, Wikipedia

os-4-spotlight-search.jpg

via 9to5mac:
IMG_0223.PNG

Playlist Creation in 4.0

IMG_0238.PNG

Gift App Store Apps

IMG_0236.PNG

Larger Text in Messages, Mail, and Alert Popups (push notifications)

IMG_0233.PNG

Live Safari Web search Suggestions

IMG_0240_0.PNG

Threaded E-Mails

IMG_0237.PNG

Connect External Braille Devices

IMG_0222.PNG

Make calendar events out of Mail message info

Pretty sure this is new:

qnzRZ.jpg
JuCSh.jpg

Character count, finally!

photocg.png

New iPod layout:

r1j6o4.png

Double space for a period has been modified. It only creates a period now if you double tap fast, and not if you simply create two spaces.

52e05d63.jpg

When sending a photo as email

Another thing I noticed in 4.0 is that when using the camera, the shutter is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY faster. You can shoot picture after picture after picture.

Tap + Tap/Hold gets you your previous double tap settings. i.e., that's where the 2nd tap is held down instead of released.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think that's been there since 2.0. You can get it by using the iPhone Configuration Utility and make a profile that includes the use of a letter password or a passcode with more then 4 numbers.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Sorry, I didn't know.

And it's there without modifying anything.. so I thought I would share.

AppleHack23

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
New Jersey
Like others said, you can do this with the iPhone Configuration Utility. Pretty good application in my opinion. I wonder when they are going to use Bing as their default search engine.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Like others said, you can do this with the iPhone Configuration Utility. Pretty good application in my opinion. I wonder when they are going to use Bing as their default search engine.

okay yes i understand, but not everyone is tech savvy, you'll learn that after a few hours on MR :rolleyes:

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
The only people that need a passcode for their iPhone are the people with something to hide. :rolleyes:

AppleHack23

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
New Jersey
I used to have one because my ex-friend used to screw with my iPhone all the time. Then I just told myself this is annoying and there's really no point.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
The only people that need a passcode for their iPhone are the people with something to hide. :rolleyes:

what if you have mysophobia (germaphobia in layman's terms) and you don't know how clean your friends' hands are?
what if you don't want someone to use ur phone or texts without your permission?
what if you just don't like people messing with your stuff?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Or those of us that leave passwords on in apps like Amazon or paypal, not mention someone could make free calls on our stolen iPhone.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
If you have a badge notification in an app inside a folder you get this:

skitched-20100409-042150.jpg

OP, how about changing the title to "Cool, new undocumented features?"

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Serious? Privacy? Amazon? Banking information? If you're dumb enough to leave your phone lying around thieves then you deserve to get stolen from. My iPhone never leaves my sight/pocket. Not to be rude but come on, guys. Who leaves their iPhone just lying out around people they don't trust?! :rolleyes:

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Serious? Privacy? Amazon? Banking information? If you're dumb enough to leave your phone lying around thieves then you deserve to get stolen from. My iPhone never leaves my sight/pocket. Not to be rude but come on, guys. Who leaves their iPhone just lying out around people they don't trust?! :rolleyes:

It's about being better safe than sorry. Things happen, your phone falls out of your pocket when getting out of a taxi or bus. No one is leaving their phones around strangers. But they might leave it around their family, or friends.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
It's about being better safe than sorry. Things happen, your phone falls out of your pocket when getting out of a taxi or bus. No one is leaving their phones around.

I've had an iPhone since they were released in 2007 and that has NEVER happened to me. Ever. I guess some people are just careless. Same people that drop their iPhone and expect Apple to replace are the same people that need a passcode I guess.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I've had an iPhone since they were released in 2007 and that has NEVER happened to me. Ever. I guess some people are just careless. Same people that drop their iPhone and expect Apple to replace are the same people that need a passcode I guess.

Just because it never happened it doesn't mean it can't happen. What if someone robs you on the street?

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Another feature I saw added was a character counter for SMS. It's in Settings.app and only turns on when you begin to exceed 70 chars or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.