Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I think they're thinking the icons got tweaked because of the background. The background is making the shades of the icons look slightly different. Otherwise I see no differences.

Look a bit closer, the icons have definitely been changed.

I (sloppily) edited the OS 3 screenshot to put the OS 4 wallpaper under it, and the changes are clearer.

Or in this even more sloppily made GIF:

Sorry about the quality. I couldn't figure out how to export it without losing detail. :confused:

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
WHY, oh why do they keep changing these? It wouldn't be an issue if they improved the icons, but they look horrible! The notes, voice memos, and calculator icons are the worst offenders. It makes sense that Apple probably wanted them to look better on a wallpaper, but to be honest the OS 2 icons were perfectly fine. If anything they just needed a bit of a drop shadow. Not to mention that droplet wallpaper might be one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to advertise my product with something so awful looking. Not to mention, the dock is way too transparent. More OS X, less iPad, please.

Actually, the UI in OS 4 is just bad in general. Why don't the folders look like folders? Why does the multitasking tray pop up from the bottom like that? Why does the folder text box look different from the system ones?

Sorry for that rant. :eek: Apple just made some... questionable design choices.

I don't understand the problem in redesigning the icons.. Or do the icons have a union that hasn't been consulted before the redesign or something?

You can disagree with design choices, but ranting about a drop shadow and a bit less blur? :rolleyes:

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I don't understand the problem in redesigning the icons.. Or do the icons have a union that hasn't been consulted before the redesign or something?

You can disagree with design choices, but ranting about a drop shadow and a bit less blur? :rolleyes:

The problem is that they look worse. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
They made the icons clearer with more detail. My guess is so they'll look good on the iPhone HD's screen?

themiracle

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
Pretty sure this is new:

qnzRZ.jpg
JuCSh.jpg

michaelfields

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
am I missing something?

I can't figure out how to change the homescreen wallpaper.... can you not do it on the 3G?

and also I can't do anything with the albums/faces/events in photos. and when I open a picture it won't let me tap the symbol in the left corner that you use to set a wallpaper/mms/email photo/etc

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
I can't figure out how to change the homescreen wallpaper.... can you not do it on the 3G?

and also I can't do anything with the albums/faces/events in photos. and when I open a picture it won't let me tap the symbol in the left corner that you use to set a wallpaper/mms/email photo/etc

To change the home screen you have to into settings, yet some 3G users haven't been able and some have.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Serious? Privacy? Amazon? Banking information? If you're dumb enough to leave your phone lying around thieves then you deserve to get stolen from. My iPhone never leaves my sight/pocket. Not to be rude but come on, guys. Who leaves their iPhone just lying out around people they don't trust?! :rolleyes:

You cant be serious?
The password is there to protect you. If you dont want to use it then dont.
People tend to lose their cellphones or sometimes they get stolen. You want anyone to be able to get inside your personal stuff or do you want to setup a password where when someone tries to guess it after 10 failed attempts the phone resets.
Do you also think keys and locks are useless and for those who need to hide something?
Do you leave your house wide open or your car unlocked? What type of logic is that?

Mr dj mo

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
Near my iPhone.
You cant be serious?
The password is there to protect you. If you dont want to use it then dont.
People tend to lose their cellphones or sometimes they get stolen. You want anyone to be able to get inside your personal stuff or do you want to setup a password where when someone tries to guess it after 10 failed attempts the phone resets.
Do you also think keys and locks are useless and for those who need to hide something?
Do you leave your house wide open or your car unlocked? What type of logic is that?

I agree with this, nothing worse than losing you're phone with auto logins for Ebay,Facebook,Gmail etc.

Also i access my bank through my phone so details of that would be in the history and cache.

Password protection on phones is a must these days, just due to the amount of personal info held on a device that is easily lost or stolen.

everlast77

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Sweden
Hello,

why is there no change to the lockscreen. I mean so that you can see missed cals, mails and SMS, etc

That was one of the big things that I thought was in the new OS 4.0

//E

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the iPhone OS4 update. I will tell you why. When I had my old Sony Ericsson phone, I avoided the 2G iPhone as I was locked into a LONG contract. I was sooo excited when the 3G was released and couldn't wait to get my hands on it!! When I got it I was so excited, and loved the phone, I couldn't put it down.

I was hoping this time around, that when the new iPhone OS4 is released with a new phone, I would have got that same buzz getting the latest Apple toy, however, I feel slightly let down by Apple, and I'm not excited to get the new release, or new phone. I'm still debating going for the HTC Evo, but a part of me is saying to wait to see the hardware that is released too, with a hope that some more of that magic is put into the iPhone, however, I think my waiting will be without payoff.

Anyway, I'm still hoping some of the other 100 'hidden' things, and hope they include:

- Save documents from email/internet to the phone. And then again ability to upload to iDisk or send in another email

- Document editing ability, I often get sent documents by email, but have to wait till I'm home to open them on my iMac to edit and send back.

- Picture editiing (crop etc)

- Ability to accept iCal events through my phone, and send calendar invites (this is a must for business use IMO). I find it crazy that I have to be in the office/home to accept my calendar invites.

- Name search on the 'keypad' within phone book. So I type the name on the numbers and it searches the contacts (like smart dial).

- Ability to change the number of icons on home screen, currently 4x4 with 4 on the dock. Would like to see customisation to add/reduce the numbers. However, I'm sure I will still clear my homescreen of any icons and have a cool wallpaper, and leave the apps for page two :D

- The folder option would have been AMAZING if you could hold on a folder, and the apps within fan out on the page, and you just drag your finger and select to open (like you do with selecting characters in text). This would have been awesome, but I guess too flashy for Apple.

Will add more later :)

amammad

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
I've had an iPhone since they were released in 2007 and that has NEVER happened to me. Ever. I guess some people are just careless. Same people that drop their iPhone and expect Apple to replace are the same people that need a passcode I guess.

Well even though there are millions of people with an iPhone or iPod Touch out there, all over the world, I think it's really significant that YOU have never had this experience and therefore recommend that Apple remove the feature as it's obviously not needed. :rolleyes:

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Too much bickering and not enough new features.

You can rotate Safari while in the bookmarks view.

Text input has been greatly improved (No autocapping replacement letter in the middle of words)

Screen rotation animation is smoother like on the iPad.

There's a Rotate Photo option in the camara roll.

You can watch Youtube videos in portrait.

Character count in SMS.

Some kind of accelerated scrolling in Safari at least. If you scroll a long page it'll speed up the longer you scroll. It's not as annoying or weird as I would have thought.

Also, my battery life is better. I'm using a dev phone that I rarely use so maybe the battery is just healthier.

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
Looks like spell check.

Holy crap, so that's how you do it! Boy do I love these beta's, reminds me of last year but this year there is more heat!

I don't know if this is a bug or not but on the second page, you can place the icons of folders/apps in any way you want without them being placed into a grid, as shown here:

photolz.png

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Holy crap, so that's how you do it! Boy do I love these beta's, reminds me of last year but this year there is more heat!

I don't know if this is a bug or not but on the second page, you can place the icons of folders/apps in any way you want without them being placed into a grid, as shown here:

photolz.png

That's certainly a bug :D

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I can't post screenshots right now but playlist folders now sync correctly from iTunes (instead of just syncing all the playlists in the folder at the top level) and the stills camera as crapy digital zoom.

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2008
- Document editing ability, I often get sent documents by email, but have to wait till I'm home to open them on my iMac to edit and send back.

- Picture editiing (crop etc)

- we will be able to open attachments in 3rd part apps. hopefully these apps will then let us send them via email?

- to quote apple... "theres an app for that". PS Mobile is free and has basic picture editing allowing you to save the edited image right back in to your photo album.

i hope this helps :) PS Mobile is a great little app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.