Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
After reading the review on Anandale I decided to cancel my order. It's not good to hear that the thing is even hotter on the lap than the last model. The article stated that cooler Arrandales are coming later this year. I think I'll wait until then, or until there are enough real world reports that these things are not burning hot.

jmdMac

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Alaska
I also read that article and am now considering waiting...I plan to be using this machine for a good part of most days, and part of that time will be on my lap. I don't want a hot macbook.

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
*shrug* After 2 hours of gaming the thing was WAY cooler than my 13" C2D unibody. Maybe the 15's are different?

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
After reading the review on Anandale I decided to cancel my order. It's not good to hear that the thing is even hotter on the lap than the last model. The article stated that cooler Arrandales are coming later this year. I think I'll wait until then, or until there are enough real world reports that these things are not burning hot.

Do not know about the i5 but my i7 runs WAY cooler than my older C2D. Just slightly warm after hours of use.;)

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Of course we don't _know_ that Apple will use these - the "Waiting for a cooler Arrendale" thread could be another long one. So I reckon I've waited long enough.

Anyway, at least you can put a cushion under a MBP - my current Dell gets uncomfortably hot, especially near the air outlet, but since the inlets are on the underside that's not an option.

Quetsche

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010

Could you link the article?
ty

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
my i5 MBP is way way cooler then my old c2d

I'm running now a 2008 Penryn. Was was your old one? His hot was relative to the last unibody I suppose. Compared to what I have no, maybe it is cooler.

What are your temps when doing more than surfing?

Slappi

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
20100416132411_4bc8c76b1b51a.jpg

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
What are you going to be doing with this laptop? From the reviews I've read it says it can get hot, but only when stressed, and that for 90% of normal usage it was cooler than previous models.

qwerty2k

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
Might be the effects of dust accumulating inside.

could be, though its been pretty damn hot ever since ive had it, top elft hand corner underneath the laptop is where it gets boiling, assuming thats where the cpu is?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
What are you going to be doing with this laptop? From the reviews I've read it says it can get hot, but only when stressed, and that for 90% of normal usage it was cooler than previous models.

This is my take on it too. I just spent an hour playing with a core i7 machine at the Apple store. It was a 15" hi-res antiglare model. As a test I watched 10 mins of Youtube and then a 720p trailer and the bottom casing was warm, but not uncomfortable.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This is my take on it too. I just spent an hour playing with a core i7 machine at the Apple store. It was a 15" hi-res antiglare model. I watched 10 mins of Youtube and then a 720p trailer and the bottom casing was warm, but not uncomfortable.
If we are going to continue the anecdotal evidence, my last gen 13" MBP has NEVER been uncomfortably hot on my lap. Again though, it all comes down to what you are doing.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
My 17" i7 is, no lie, 10 c cooler on avg Then my old 2.66 c2d while doing the same tasks. I love it. I got the matte too!

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
could be, though its been pretty damn hot ever since ive had it, top elft hand corner underneath the laptop is where it gets boiling, assuming thats where the cpu is?

All recent Apple laptops get hot there. It's normal, and it's a good sign it is very hot. Hot=more dissipation. If it was cold, where would the heat be going?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Mine becomes pretty warm there too, but only when charging. The temp drops drastically once fully charged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.