Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:20 PM   #1
zichau
macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro, glossy, hi-res glossy or hi-res antiglare?

The title pretty much sums it up. Which one can you recommend. I've heard a lot of good stuff about both.

Glossy, good: more vivid colours, cheaper, deeper black. Bad: reflections not so clear white.

antiglare, good: no reflections, no eyestrain clear white. Bad: expensive, not so deep black level, not so vivid colours.

The hi-res: well its hi-res what more needs to be said , its just a bit expensive

Sorry if my english poor, I'm Danish.
zichau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Angra-mainju
macrumors regular

get the anti-glare cos you are gonna get mad on the glossy. It just reflects everything...
Angra-mainju is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:44 PM   #3
chaosbunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra-mainju View Post
get the anti-glare cos you are gonna get mad on the glossy. It just reflects everything...
+1

What's the point of that deep black if you constantly see your face in it?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:14 PM   #4
zichau
macrumors newbie

What about those layers of film or plastic that also dims down the glossiness? Are they any good? Cus I kinda like the black outline :P
zichau is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Stepint0sh
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zichau View Post
What about those layers of film or plastic that also dims down the glossiness? Are they any good? Cus I kinda like the black outline :P
I've had experience with multiple of them and they are not any good. Hard to place and make the screen not so fine anymore! (blurry). I went for matte and I'm a very happy user!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:33 PM   #6
TheBritishBloke
macrumors 68030

End of the day, it's personal preference.

I love the glossy for it's vivid colours, and the hi-res would definitely be an added bonus.

my 2 cents..
TheBritishBloke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Jamo12
macrumors regular

Go with the high-res. You're already spending about $1700 on a computer and the higher res is totally worth the 100 dollars. As for matte vs. glossy I personally would go with the matte. The colors are not really that different and the matte screen looks amazing. I don't care much about the reflections, but the fingerprints are evil and very hard to clean off of a glossy (Somehow they get there even if nobody touches your screen). I would have gone matte if that option didn't come out 4 days after I bought my computer (mid 2009 15"). Returning my computer would have made me pay about $350 for a matte screen....
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:01 PM   #8
Guiguiga
macrumors regular

High res anti-glare is the best option. I never tried the anti-glare film, so I can't give you input on that one.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:23 PM   #9
J&JPolangin
macrumors 68030

...go look at them side by side in an store and see what you'd like better... my older Sony Viao has a glossy screen that's not too bad long term, same as my whitebook but a few of my friends have MBP/MBA's and they are too glossy for my taste with the glass overlay on the screen...(I'd have to go with anti-glare if I wanted to get a newer model MB/MBP)...
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:57 PM   #10
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Lots of threads all ready on this topic.

Everyone has different opinions on the subject. There is no right answer and you need to check them out in an apple store to find the one best for you.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:15 AM   #11
Kingcodez
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to Kingcodez
One for the Glossy camp:
If you are indoors, you won't notice the glossy.
When I watch a show before bed with my girl I turn the keyboard off because there's a little faint reflection.

I do my work in my house, I like keeping things dark. But the screen is always cranked up.

I'm going to go with the matte now though, because I'm moving to florida, plan to work out side, and go to school.

But for mainly house work it dosen't matter. I prefer the black bezel.
Kingcodez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011, 03:32 PM   #12
hargreavesimage
macrumors newbie

matt screen is the only way to go if you are a professional

I work as a professional photographer and designer in a large and very hectic design company. Personally I'm amazed that apple ever brought out the gloss screens as macs have always been made with the professional image maker in mind. You can't work as a professional with the glossy screen on either the macbook or imac. The colour is way too bright which also causes problems with colour calibrating the screen. The colours are too saturated so when you take your image that looks stunning to print the colours are completly different. The whole point of getting a professional machine is that you hope the image you are working on will loo the same when printed.
But the main problem with the glossy screen is the shine and reflections, its just unworkable if your a photographer. I worked on an image on an imac last week that had some black glass in the design, I photoshopped the image and it looked great. I later opened the image on a professional eizo monitor and there were reflections all over the black glass that weren't even viewable when working on the imac. If I'd sent this to the magazine to be printed my boss would have killed me. GLOSS SCREENS AREN'T GOOD FOR PROFESSIONALS, ONLY GOOD FOR PEOPLE THAT WANT TO LOOK COOL AND DON'T KNOW WHAT YHEY ARE DOING!!!
hargreavesimage is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 04:13 AM   #13
gpat
macrumors 6502a

I know what I'm doing, and I'm on a glossy. Photographers aren't gods, you know.
If you *need* color fidelity or you are going to use your Mac outdoors at least 60% of the time, go Matte. If not, go Glossy, because the Matte will look washed out in comparison.
Old May 7, 2011, 07:37 AM   #14
Vantage Point
macrumors 65816

I know what I'm doing, and I'm on a glossy. Photographers aren't gods, you know.

We are not gods but we know a lot about color. There can be a big difference between making colors look good on a glossy monitor vs the colors being good. A serious photographer needs to see the actual colors, not enhanced. The difference is in printing - are you printing what you see.

I had a iMac and now use a glossy MBP and a high end wide-gamut non-glossy monitor for serious work. The difference is there and my prints match what I see. If you are not a serious photographer then it doesn't matter so much. Just make sure there are no bright lights in back of you else there will be glare. I do hate the glossy but I hate high resolution more as it causes eye strain and Apple will not offer anti-glare anymore without the high resolution - they used to but...
Old May 7, 2011, 08:41 AM   #15
The Red Wolf
macrumors regular

I have the anti-glare on my MacBook Pro 17". There is no way I would get a glossy display. I wear glasses so I have enough reflections to deal with despite "Anti-reflective lenses". I find the colour to far surpass my 15" MacBook Pro 15" ATI 1600 version. While the black bezel for the glossy is nice looking, I prefer the aluminum as it harkens back to the scheme of my 15". Looking back to my TiBook, the black keys bring everything full circle. But seriously, the glare/reflections on a glossy display aren't worth it and the cost is $50 american which isn't much. You'll get much more play out of the high resolution cost benefit as more real-estate on a 15" is priceless and worth the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zichau View Post
The title pretty much sums it up. Which one can you recommend. I've heard a lot of good stuff about both.

Glossy, good: more vivid colours, cheaper, deeper black. Bad: reflections not so clear white.

antiglare, good: no reflections, no eyestrain clear white. Bad: expensive, not so deep black level, not so vivid colours.

The hi-res: well its hi-res what more needs to be said , its just a bit expensive

Sorry if my english poor, I'm Danish.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:04 PM   #16
fannar
macrumors newbie

Solid

Thanks alot guys, I just purchased my new mbp with ag (after debating whether to get ag or glossy for the past 2 weeks).

Will comment on whether it was worth it or not in about a week when precious arrives
fannar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 02:16 PM   #17
DolemiteJackson
macrumors member

+1 on the antiglare. Your eyes will thank you.
DolemiteJackson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 08:58 AM   #18
Big D 51
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiguiga View Post
High res anti-glare is the best option. I never tried the anti-glare film, so I can't give you input on that one.
+1

I sold my glossy computer within a month. I loss my butt on it but it drove me crazy.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice