Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I recently saw a tv show on the science channel about a company that makes player piano music. In the factory that creates the music for the player piano, that have an Apple II with a 5.25 floppy :eek:

This was a relatively new show, i.e., 2009

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
and everyone said the iMac would flop with out this :)

Actually, when the first iMac came out, it was still necessary for many people, and it was a pain in the ass for those who did. It may not seem necessary today, but even in 1998, it was still relevant and Apple omitted it too early. They sold a lot of those first iMacs, but that doesn't mean people weren't troubled by its omission. Some people weren't computer-savvy enough to even ask about it while they were purchasing it. Of course, those who needed one had a large number of 3rd party options available if they wanted a floppy disk drive, since demand for them was fairly high.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Actually, when the first iMac came out, it was still necessary for many people, and it was a pain in the ass for those who did. It may not seem necessary today, but even in 1998, it was still relevant and Apple omitted it too early. They sold a lot of those first iMacs, but that doesn't mean people weren't troubled by its omission. Some people weren't computer-savvy enough to even ask about it while they were purchasing it. Of course, those who needed one had a large number of 3rd party options available if they wanted a floppy disk drive, since demand for them was fairly high.

And for those people, they could have purchased a $99 external to read floppies. I never used another floppy after I bought my iMac in '99.

To be fair though, I did have a ZIP drive for back-up purposes...but I saw no need for a 3.5" floppy. :cool:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Farewell Floppy

Sony says its shutting down the last floppy disk plant on the face of the earth next spring. Frankly, I didn't even know anyone still made them.

A professor back in 2002 assigned a take home exam to be submitted on floppy. I had a Mac so asked if a CD was OK since obviously no floppy drive. Was told no so I had to go buy an ext. floppy drive. I wonder what this prof does now. Probably CDs and if you ask if you can submit on a USB drive will give a scowl.

Funny to think one floppy couldn't even hold one decently encoded MP3.

R.I.P. Floppy. R.I.P.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
I recently saw a tv show on the science channel about a company that makes player piano music. In the factory that creates the music for the player piano, that have an Apple II with a 5.25 floppy :eek:

I saw that too but wasn't sure what to think about it.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

I saw that too but wasn't sure what to think about it.

Most likely someone working for them or some company built a proprietary program back in the 70's or 80's for some part of their manufacturing. If the program worked then there is no reason it would not work now. So why bother spending tens of thousands or possibly a great deal more for a new program to be made that will perform the same function that the IIe must be performing quite well. Then again maybe they just like playing Oregon Trail:rolleyes:.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
They're still popular in some US High Schools. My High School would ban you from the computer lab if you were caught using anything other than a school issued floppy disk. USB Thumb Drives were not allowed cuz they thought students could transfer viruses from the USB drive to the school mainframe. What a vivid imagination my school had. :rolleyes:

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
USB Thumb Drives were not allowed cuz they thought students could transfer viruses from the USB drive to the school mainframe. What a vivid imagination my school had. :rolleyes:

They are mystical things thumb drives! Run by magic wouldn't you believe.

I've definitely used a floppy disc in the last 6/7 years. I remember because they used to fit perfectly in the inside pocket of my school blazer :p

CaptMurdock

Suspended
Jan 2, 2009
The Evildrome Boozerama
I can't believe they've stayed in production this long!

Even in '98, my buddies and I were swapping files on 100 MB Zip disks. Floppies were just too small. I had long since ported everything on floppies over to Zips. (Later, the Zips were archived onto CDs, the CDs onto DVDs... I have files from 1990 that have been on four different formats!)

That's progress, baby.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
And for those people, they could have purchased a $99 external to read floppies. I never used another floppy after I bought my iMac in '99.

To be fair though, I did have a ZIP drive for back-up purposes...but I saw no need for a 3.5" floppy. :cool:

you were the expection. But the $99 external was very costly. It is about $130-150 in modern terms.

At the time apple dump the floppy there was no good cost effect solution for moving small files around. Remember at the time free Email attachments did not exist and even if they did our internet speeds were dail up. That means download speed were about 10 mins per meg. So 1.4 meg file would take 15 mins to download.

The iMac did not have a CD burner and at the time CD burners were a few $100 bucks and it was near impossible to find blanks.
USB flash drives were not really out yet and they cost a pretty penny. I remember a 64 meg flash drive being HUGE and a big deal to have. 16 meg flash drives were very costly if you could find them and no widely supported yet.

Yes we could all see the end of the days of floppies were numbered but the replacement of floppies had not really hit yet. Floppies were replaced by flash drives and broad band email.

As for me last time I used a floppy was in 2007. I had a professor who required a project to be turn in on one. I had to go out to the store and buy a pack of floppies to turn in my project. It was worth a few good laughs.

When I built my computer in 2004 I pad 10 bucks for a floppy drive and I called it my $10 insurance plan and it was well worth it. I used my floppy a fair number of times over the years.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
you were the expection. But the $99 external was very costly. It is about $130-150 in modern terms.

$99 costly?!?!? Compared to the cost of the $1500 computer??

As I said, I never found the need, since I already had a ZIP drive, but $99 is nothing compared to the cost of other peripherals at the time, like $2-300 for a printer, $150-200 for a scanner...etc. Heck, I think my ZIP drive was $199 at least.

Sounds reasonable that you paid $10 for a floppy drive a few years back. I can buy a combo printer/scanner for $50 too. :cool:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
$99 costly?!?!? Compared to the cost of the $1500 computer??

As I said, I never found the need, since I already had a ZIP drive, but $99 is nothing compared to the cost of other peripherals at the time, like $2-300 for a printer, $150-200 for a scanner...etc. Heck, I think my ZIP drive was $199 at least.

Sounds reasonable that you paid $10 for a floppy drive a few years back. I can buy a combo printer/scanner for $50 too. :cool:

Well $99 bucks is very costly given even back then floppy drives for PC you could get for around $20-30. It was a huge apple premium for a basic floppy drive. The drives never got that high in cost as the technology to read and write floppy drives was pretty old tech even by then.

The $99 is an example of an Apple Tax.

You numbers for the cost an ink jet printer are pretty far off as well because lets see my parents bought a color ink jet in 1996-97 for about 70 bucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.