Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

153233-iphone_4_orientation_lock_ipod.png

9 to 5 Mac reports that the latest iPhone OS 4 beta, released earlier today, includes several new features as part of its multitasking capabilities, including quick access to iPod controls, as well as an option for locking the screen orientation in either portrait or landscape mode.

The new features are accessed via a left-swipe from the multitasking "dock" manager in much the same way that the Spotlight search screen is accessed from the first home screen in iPhone OS 3. The iPod option include the traditional iPod icon to allow quick access to the iPod player functionality, as well as play/pause and track navigation buttons.

The screen orientation lock is a much-requested feature that is particularly handy for users attempting to use their devices while lying down or reclining. The feature receives prominent attention on the iPad, with the device's originally-planned "mute" switch being replaced before launch by a dedicated hardware button to enable screen rotation lock.

Article Link: Latest iPhone OS 4 Beta Gains Orientation Lock and iPod Controls in Multitasking Interface

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
If I have to swipe the dock portion of the screen to tap the ipod icon, why wouldn't I just as quickly swipe the app portion of the screen to tap the ipod icon?

Weird.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of going from a simple, clean, side-to-side scrolling UI to one that vertically splits apart revealing hidden panels and crap.

Seems to me they could have just left the dock on the search screen, and used that for the multitasking app list. ...would have been simpler.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Oh fairly excited about orientation lock, more exciting on iPhone than iPad IMO, no more *sighs* every time I browse the 'net or look at email lying down! I just hope it remembers the setting per app.

iGod 2.0

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Yes!!!!

It's simple, but it just makes you say "Yes, gotdammit yes" This new multitasking function is genius!! (José Cuervo voice):)

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I know it's in beta but it looks very Jailbreak-y. I wish they'd just implement something like SB settings like they have on Android instead of making the orientation lock look like an app icon.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
If I have to swipe the dock portion of the screen to tap the ipod icon, why wouldn't I just as quickly swipe the app portion of the screen to tap the ipod icon?

Weird.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of going from a simple, clean, transparent, UI to one that splits apart revealing hidden panels and crap.

Seems to me they could have just left the dock on the search screen, and used that for the multitasking app list. ...would have been simpler.

Did you not see the iPod controls? The icon is only there if you wish to actually go into the iPod app. I'm interested in how this works considering that the screenshot also shows playlist, artists, etc tabs as well.

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
Wrong... it ONLY locks in Portrait mode. What's up with that, Apple?

aardoff is DAMN right. It's a must have feature, but we MUST have the ability to lock in landscape mode as well. Landscape mode is far more important to me than Portrait, given how many web pages are simply not readable to me (with my sorry eyes) until I go landscape.

I'm really hoping that it does exactly that, and that the article is just misstating the behavior of the feature.

Pete

Vashthewicked

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
This is the only reason I jailbreak. SBSettings and swiping the clock at the top to turn rotation on and off. It's literally the feature I use most everyday. The only thing missing is that I can also turn wifi, Bluetooth, and 3g off and on. But best off all is adjusting the brightness. I guess you "could" leave settings "on" and use the multitasking to just switch to it, but it's definetly not the best way Apple could/could have handled it.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
The iPod controls are already available in the current iPhone OS 3, it just looks different. Try it: play music, press Home button to go to the home screen, double press the home button, and it brings up the iPod controls, with a button to go straight to the iPod app. This functionality would have been lost if the Double Press of the Home button opens the multi-tasking interface instead. So like this, they preserved both functions.

The only thing they really added was the screen orientation lock, which is quite cool. However, I find this whole multi-tasking interface to be quite strange and awkward. Pressing the home button twice is a bit annoying, and I'm a bit getting bored of the Home button having so many functions. Press it once to go to the Home screen, once more to search, then twice for the iPod controls, then they should make it so that you can type morse code instead of sending proper SMS-es with the Home button! It's like what they did on the iPod Shuffle, you have to press it 3 times to do certain functions, hold it, press it twice, etc... I know it only has 3 buttons but come on!

Not Steve Jobs

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2009
Do you think this feature will be available for 1st and 2nd gen iPod Touches even though they can't do multitasking?

innominato5090

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
I don't like the icons for those features, neither I'm totally convinced of the way they implemented it...but,hey! It's only the 3rd beta! there's time to improve them listening to devs opinions!

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
I don't understand this. Why would they have added the "Previous Track, Pause Track, and Next Track" in the multitasking drawer if "Double tap-hold Home button" still works to pop the iPod quick change panel up? Is this redundant? Or is it indicating that they got rid of that former feature?

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
The article states it can be locked in either Portrait or Landscape - have you tested this already on your own iPhone?

From the Article:

The orientation lock is just like on the iPad, but instead is controlled via this new menu. Tap once to lock in portrait, and again to unlock.

I'm definitely hoping they meant "Tap once to lock in portrait or landscape (whichever you're in at the time)"

Anyone tested this?

Pete

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
I don't understand this. Why would they have added the "Previous Track, Pause Track, and Next Track" in the multitasking drawer if "Double tap-hold Home button" still works to pop the iPod quick change panel up? Is this redundant? Or is it indicating that they got rid of that former feature?

The former feature has been gone since beta 1.

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
oh thank goodness! i get so frustrated when im trying to send a text or mail and it keeps flipping about! i can see why people wanting it but when 3.0 came I didn't like this feature, but now its sorted i'm :D can we get back the old text box now? have the text box staying the same size and not getting bigger the more i type? i usually send long texts and too see the text i've been sent i need to select all, cut, read text, paste. pleeease :apple: ????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.