Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Tap-Tap is now reserved for bringing up the multitasking pane. It no longer brings up favorites or iPod controls. I have yet to find a workaround to bring up favorites quickly.

Wasn't it tap tap-and-hold?

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
i believe one button with multiple functions is preferable to adding buttons.

surely nobody has any difficulty remembering a couple of click-hold combination for one button?

A couple? This is quickly getting out of hand.

Another button will also add a little bit of wiggle room for future features as well.

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
DUDE, I'M USING IT.

If you double-home in landscape, the multitasking panel slides up from right above the home button... in a portrait orientation.

When you click the lock button, it rotates the phone to Portrait and then locks it.

let's hope this is fixed in GM.
lock in one orientation only --> defeats the purpose

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
You all forgetting that it's a beta. Apple might have dropped those icons in as a placeholders. They just want the code and function to work properly. UI will be fixed the last moment, because they don't want to show too much to developers.

ALXKRFT

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
anybody able to tell me if i keep my data updating from beta2 to beta3? because beta 2 lacks of a backup option?

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004

How does it defeat the purpose? Isn't the idea to stop rotation?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was "fixed" in the future, but not until Apple completely redesigns all their apps to fully support landscape, at the earliest.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Yay, orientation lock, albeit about 3 generations of iPhones overdue. Reading in bed shall henceforth be less portrait/landscape/portrait/landscape/WTF/portrait/didureallymeanlandscape?/portrait/FAIL/okIGiveupnightnight/ spastic.

When you click the lock button, it rotates the phone to Portrait and then locks it.

Eek. Fail. Hopefully this is fixed before release!

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
UK
oh thank goodness! i get so frustrated when im trying to send a text or mail and it keeps flipping about! i can see why people wanting it but when 3.0 came I didn't like this feature, but now its sorted i'm :D can we get back the old text box now? have the text box staying the same size and not getting bigger the more i type? i usually send long texts and too see the text i've been sent i need to select all, cut, read text, paste. pleeease :apple: ????

To make this easier you can just click on the edit button at the top of the page. It makes it easier for you :) I have the same problem. This is only a work around though, this shouldn't be like this!

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009

I actually can't think of a single time that I've wanted to lock something in landscape mode. I can think of many occasions where I would have liked a portrait mode lock. I think portrait mode would cover the vast majority of the situations on the iPhone, but obviously locking in landscape should be an option.

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Preferable how? :confused:

i prefer fewer mechanical inputs, multiple commands on each mechanical input through click-hold combinations.
less things to break, less places for crud to collect.

same goes for the controls on the iphone earbuds, squeeze once, squeeze twice, squeeze trice. much better than the clunky controls that came with headsets a few years ago with three or four buttons

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
If you're sideways and you want to lock in Landscape, this is what you do.

Turn the phone so it switches to landscape mode... Now flip it TOTALLY UPSIDE DOWN. So the home-button is towards the sky.

Now your screen will be in landscape mode but the phone will be vertical.

Enjoy. :)

lloydh

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2007
London, England
So there's no longer a GUI to see Artist / Track info without switching to the iPod app?

IMHO it seems like valuable space in the multitasking pane has now been diverted to (reduced) functionality that was previously available. Could there not have been an additional interface element above the multitasking pane when iTunes is playing?

The orientation lock is great, however.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Swiping left on the app switching bar is so stupid!

Just like spotlight, it feels like a patch-job. Instead of changing the UI so it fits in, they just slap it on the app switching bar.

You have a home screen full of app icons, except for the leftmost screen, where it's a completely different interface and function!

Now you also have the app switching bar, full of your most recently used app icons, except to the left, where instead of apps, there are controls for the iPod - even though you might be playing music with a third-party app thanks to our new multitasking.

While they are at it, why don't they just make the app switching bar two icons tall and put the controls on the top row? It might not look very pretty, but what about this UI does anymore?

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
How does it defeat the purpose? Isn't the idea to stop rotation?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was "fixed" in the future, but not until Apple completely redesigns all their apps to fully support landscape, at the earliest.

true that! thanks for half a feature, Apple.

BTW, I get a bit upset when people post comments without reading all the prior comments....so many comments out of context in this thread.(not that swarmster did that, but other random posters cheering on the lock, which is half functional at best.)

Yay, orientation lock, albeit about 3 generations of iPhones overdue. Reading in bed shall henceforth be less portrait/landscape/portrait/landscape/WTF/portrait/didureallymeanlandscape?/portrait/FAIL/okIGiveupnightnight/ spastic.

right, instead it will be all portrait, all the time...not much of a feature if you ask me.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
i believe one button with multiple functions is preferable to adding buttons.

surely nobody has any difficulty remembering a couple of click-hold combination for one button?

Haha... yes. Like shortTap-shortTap-longTap-shortTap-longTap to bring up Safari... :)

(No, that doesn't work)

funrush

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
anybody able to tell me if i keep my data updating from beta2 to beta3? because beta 2 lacks of a backup option?

You need the beta SDK to backup from a 4.0 iPhone. If you don't have it installed, than yes, you will lose all your data.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
You need the beta SDK to backup from a 4.0 iPhone. If you don't have it installed, than yes, you will lose all your data.

Partly true. You need the beta SDK to backup from 4.0 beta 1. After you've erase-installed beta 2 or newer, iTunes will backup properly.

Note: If you reinstall iTunes, it won't backup properly until you reinstall the beta SDK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.