Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SmartPhoneMedic has posted a video of the outer shell of the next generation iPhone along with the front screen LCD. SmartPhoneMedic is a repair outfit for iPhones and other smartphones, so has supplier sources that can provide them parts for these devices.

The iPhone parts clearly resemble the leaked iPhone photos posted in April. Apple has since acknowledged that that iPhone was a prototype design, and is widely expected to represent the next generation iPhone. It seems they aren't the only ones who have been able to obtain early parts of the next generation iPhone. Late last week, iSpazio posted photos of the LCD portion of the next generation iPhone.

Apple is expected to announce the new iPhone at WWDC in June. Rumors have suggested that device availability will also be in June. If so, then Apple likely needs to start ramping up production which make make these part leaks far more likely.

Article Link: Next Generation iPhone Approaching Production? Case + LCD Parts Circulating

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
What is with those random seams in the case? Please tell me they just got a hold of another prototype case, and not the production case.....

Bonch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2005
Lithuania
What is with those random seams in the case? Please tell me they just got a hold of another prototype case, and not the production case.....

Not to worry. They just got a hold of another prototype case, and not the production case.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Bonch said:

Not to worry. They just got a hold of another prototype case, and not the production case.

For some reason that made me chuckle (which woke the wife).

G58

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008
random seams??

What do you mean by "random seams"?? Do you mean the cooling slats in the inside plate?

My take:

This is almost certainly a prototype of the real thing, or [more likely] a genuine early production part. If you notice at 0:16 the two sound button holes we saw in the Gizmodo purchase, are visible on the left edge - from inside.

This case has been machined from a solid piece of aluminium plate, not pressed from aluminium sheet, or fabricated from an extrusion. The technology and set-up costs are on a totally different level. All are complicated in terms of tooling, but the former two are easily within the reach of all OEM manufacturers. The latter is currently only used in this way and to this extent for computers and portable devices, by Apple.

Whilst it is possible to make a one-off of such a part, even that would involve hours and hours of CAD work. So, for that reason alone, it's also unlikely to be a spoof.

There's also no way any Chinese rip-off company is going to invest in that level of aluminium machining technology to make a cheap copy either.

So, imo, what we're looking at is the case of the iPhone 4G. I could be wrong, but I'm familiar with the techniques used here and they are entirely consistent with those currently used by Apple in their iMacs, UniBody MacBooks and the iPad.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
droooooool

With such a cool looking iphone coming, I can't seem to figure out why no camera on the ipad. If we are going to be able to ichat on the iphone via wifi can't see 3G been able to handle that much bandwidth, why not bring out the ultimate ipad with a camera.

I know next one will have it, oh well will just upgrade when that one comes. :D

WickedRabbit

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Would it seriously kill Apple to add an LED or something to the front of the device so that you know you received a new message, etc. without having to turn the screen on, unlock the device and look at your applications?

jihuiwen

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
For some reason, I just don't like the sandwich design.
Just wish the final design could look more like this
attachment.php

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Apple designs are becoming more and more generic, first the MBP began looking like PCs and now this iPhone which looks a lot like the tons of other smartphones out there now.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It's funny how some people can't accept that this is the next iPhone and continue to brush it off as a prototype and not a production unit.

People, this is the final design.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Would it seriously kill Apple to add an LED or something to the front of the device so that you know you received a new message, etc. without having to turn the screen on, unlock the device and look at your applications?

I smell you I smell you.

Anything, even the home button pulsing.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
It's funny how some people can't accept that this is the next iPhone and continue to brush it off as a prototype and not a production unit.

People, this is the final design.

I am sure it will look quite a bit cooler when you have it in your hands. Steve Jobs very much liked the new Star Trek movie. I am quite sure that is where the inspiration came from.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Hmm, for some reason it looks like a fragile mint tin in the video. I'm really digging the new design though.

You only have to turn the screen on. Missed calls and messages show up in a little window and you can tap to view them. That's it. One of the things great about the iPhone (and Macs for that matter), is that Apple don't just "add an LED or something" willy-nilly.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Hmm, for some reason it looks like a fragile mint tin in the video. I'm really digging the new design though.

You only have to turn the screen on. Missed calls and messages show up in a little window and you can tap to view them. That's it. One of the things great about the iPhone (and Macs for that matter), is that Apple don't just "add an LED or something" willy-nilly.

What if it's another notification? Push or mail or otherwise?

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008

Yeah, random blinking LEDs can be annoying anyway, and then you're sitting there trying to count them like "was that 3 and a new text, or 4 and a new email?"

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Yeah, random blinking LEDs can be annoying anyway, and then you're sitting there trying to count them like "was that 3 and a new text, or 4 and a new email?"

Never had to count LEDs on my blackberry. Had to count the vibrations, but that was simple too. Short, medium, long. So simple and painless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.