Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I own one of those HP laptops and have never noticed ANY resemblence to the MBP. If anything the new HP ENVY laptops are trying to look like MBP's.
My theory on why people keep saying that the MBP looks like a PC laptop is the following...

First, there was the Titanium PB, silver with black keys.
Then came the all-silver PowerBooks.
Meanwhile, PCs that copied the original Titanium PB started emerging. The Dell Inspiron 6000, a couple of ASUS laptops, and others. This was the paradigm shift where PC laptops went from uniformly black to various other colors, often 2-color schemes.
inspiron-6000.jpg

Since these PCs, the Dell 6000 in particular, were extremely popular and more widespread than Macs, silver/black became a familiar PC look, disassociated from Macs since they were all-silver.
So then, when Apple decided to go back to black keyboards on silver (this started with the MBA, not the MBP), the black/silver combo had come full circle on the Mac side of things, but from a PC-centric perspective it looked like Apple had taken a leaf out of Dell's book. Of course the physical proportions, materials and other things are radically different, but that's another story.

It barely looks any more "square" than the current iPhone unless your talking about the back mirroring the front. I really don't get people thinking this doesn't look apple like! If anything the 3Gs looks un-apple like.
I don't get that either. Over time, Apple has moved on to aluminum on pretty much all products, the computers, the iPods, even the Remote. Chrome and plastic is gone from all products except the 3GS, which IMO looks more like a predecessor to the original iPhone than a successor. Black/white plastic+chrome is Apple five years ago. And now that they're finally bringing the iPhone into the metal+glossy black family, consistent with the other mobile products, it's "so un-Apple"? Huh?

G58

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008
Update

What is with those random seams in the case? Please tell me they just got a hold of another prototype case, and not the production case.....

The 'seams' as you describe them, appear to be broken through in two instances [top and battery side] to allow removal/replacement of the battery.

The corresponding 'seam' on the opposite side is described as not cut through, and therefore an aesometric design feature.

Source: Gizmodo site.

The diagonal slots in the inside plate correspond to the positioning of the battery.

All things considered, this looks like the real thing. I have to say I like it, and I like it more than the original. The curved back was always a negative for me.

Kristianmaar

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2008
Copenhagen
Still no OLED... :(

Sorry Apple, looks like I'm waiting for 5th gen iPhone. Have Samsung make a super AMOLED display for the iPhone, or I see no reason to upgrade to 4th gen iPhone....

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Prepare to be enlightened...

monolith.jpg

I do agree though, a small RGB LED somewhere near the front camera would've been great and also if they got rid of those seams, other than that, it's perfect.

Sorry Apple, looks like I'm waiting for 5th gen iPhone. Have Samsung make a super AMOLED display for the iPhone, or I see no reason to upgrade to 4th gen iPhone....

What is the iPhone HD using? LCD or OLED? you will have to wait a long time for the Super AMOLED.

sleezy

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
What is with those random seams in the case? Please tell me they just got a hold of another prototype case, and not the production case.....

I kind of like those seams... they give it a very bang & olufsen-esque look. I love how it is machined aluminum just like my MBP. I cant wait to upgrade to this phone in June!!

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Maybe the seams and the LED are related. If the new bezel is, in fact, aluminum like the notebook lineup, there is nothing to stop Apple from drilling the microscopic holes in the case and sticking a white (probably not multicolored) LED in behind it. It could have several different states (or just one) depending on what it was indicating: solid, slow pulse or blink.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Maybe the seams and the LED are related. If the new bezel is, in fact, aluminum like the notebook lineup, there is nothing to stop Apple from drilling the microscopic holes in the case and sticking a white (probably not multicolored) LED in behind it. It could have several different states (or just one) depending on what it was indicating: solid, slow pulse or blink.

So if they can do the micro perforations in aluminum (which they obviously can), why would they need a big ugly seams?

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006

Not to worry. They just got a hold of another prototype case, and not the production case.

Haha. I really hope those seams are gone in the final product though! :(

For some reason, I just don't like the sandwich design.
Just wish the final design could look more like this
attachment.php

Looks nice, but honestly, is that mock-up that different? I do like the white, I think I will go white instead of black this time! :D

NeoCrusader

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

For some reason that made me chuckle (which woke the wife).

It was pretty funny lol

G58

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008
Does this really need 7 ethernet ports on the front? :p

What sensible manufacturer would put any ports in that location in the first place? And following on from that, who in their right mind would ever buy one?

Please tell me that's a PhotoShop job.

WickedRabbit

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
I think Apple's answer to this is related to this patent:

Basically "Apple proposes the implementation of a dual backlight system ..."

where they can display "icon-like status indicators on the iPhone's displays even when the handset is locked and the backlight turned off ..."

where "users would be able to determine whether they missed a call or communication without touching their iPhone..."

or any kind of icon or for any kind of info (battery low symbol, new mail, etc). The secondary backlight is very low-powered so that it can always be on. So, no need to add an LED to front of device - it's on the screen!

P.

I thought I saw that patent and it was for Macbook's and not the iPhone? Either way, I want to see it in production and not on a patent paper. And for people saying you count vibrations and blinking lights sure you could do that on a BlackBerry or just use it how the rest of the world uses it = when you see the light you know you got something new. Simple as that. Or, use the Color ID app, which lets you assign a color to individual things (green = email, blue = calls, etc.).

It's just annoying to have to turn the screen on to see that you got new emails. I think Apple did that on purpose to be honest because it means you're constantly picking up and playing with your phone JUST to see if you got a new message.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
What sensible manufacturer would put any ports in that location in the first place? And following on from that, who in their right mind would ever buy one?

Please tell me that's a PhotoShop job.

Haha, nah I was joking. If you zoom in, they are little triangular type things, not ethernet ports.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
So if they can do the micro perforations in aluminum (which they obviously can), why would they need a big ugly seams?

Quick question, but why were seams not big and ugly when Apple had them, but are big and ugly now all of a sudden? Just curious as to what's changed other than it fits in with whatever Apple is doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.