Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 2, 2004, 06:00 PM   #1
KevRC4130
macrumors 6502

What is the point of the Logitech MX900 over the MX700?

Hey all,
I know that the MX900 is one of the most popular mice here, but here is what I don't get... What is the point? I realise that the 900 has bluetooth and the 700 doesn't, but both have the dock, which acts as the bluetooth dongle, right? Both mice have the dock/charger plugged into the USB port, it's just that the 700's also acts as a reciever, right? So really they have the same amount of cords, take up the same amounts or ports, everything. I am probably (and hope I am wrong), so someone correct me.
KevRC4130 is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2004, 06:53 PM   #2
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

well, if you have an internal bluetooth module, you don't *need* to have the dock plugged in to use the MX 900. You'd only need to plug it in to recharge.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 07:42 PM   #3
shawnjackson
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352
well, if you have an internal bluetooth module, you don't *need* to have the dock plugged in to use the MX 900. You'd only need to plug it in to recharge.
actually you dont want the mx900 over the mx700 as the data rates for the mx900 are slower, therefore the mouse will lag.

now, i would do what I did and get the mx1000, best damn mouse ever.
shawnjackson is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2004, 07:43 PM   #4
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnjackson
here, here!
Old Oct 3, 2004, 02:26 AM   #5
aswitcher
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to aswitcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by edesignuk
here, here!
Well, I wish they would sort BT out because its damn inconvienient for laptop users to have to put an RF dongle in everytime they want to use it.

Is there really significant lag?
Old Oct 3, 2004, 06:23 AM   #6
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnjackson
actually you dont want the mx900 over the mx700 as the data rates for the mx900 are slower, therefore the mouse will lag.

I second that. While I have an Apple BT (anyone want one, only 2 days use?) and Microsoft Wireless (Which I love), I couldn't resist one when I was in CompUSA the other day.

The mouse has the best feel in your hand than any other mouse I've ever held. All buttons work as advertised and you can customize them all. Installation was a breeze and when I finally figured out why it wasn't working (on/off switch ), I had the best damn mouse ever!
rdowns is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 04:04 AM   #7
Diatribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns
I second that. While I have an Apple BT (anyone want one, only 2 days use?) and Microsoft Wireless (Which I love), I couldn't resist one when I was in CompUSA the other day.

The mouse has the best feel in your hand than any other mouse I've ever held. All buttons work as advertised and you can customize them all. Installation was a breeze and when I finally figured out why it wasn't working (on/off switch ), I had the best damn mouse ever!
oooh. It has an on/off switch? That looks like the next MX900 or MX1000 BT will have one too. Now just add OSX support and I'll get one instantly. Until then I'll just keep my MX700.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 04:45 AM   #8
thatwendigo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswitcher
Is there really significant lag?
I've had my MX900 for at least a month, now, and I have no idea what the people who cry about 'lag' are talking about. The mouse feels as responsive as my corded USB optical was, tracks just as precisely (if not better), and the only issue I've ever had with it once USB Overdrive was installed was a loss of connection. I push two buttons, a few seconds pass, and I have my mouse functional once more.

I've not really delved into Bluetooth peripherals all that much, but the MX900 works just fine for me.

Edit:

Rdowns - Does the newer model have a different version of Logitech Control Center? It did nothing but cripple the mouse when I installed it, which is why I'm using USB Overdrive.
Because they change things.
thatwendigo is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 04:52 AM   #9
aswitcher
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to aswitcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwendigo
I've had my MX900 for at least a month, now, and I have no idea what the people who cry about 'lag' are talking about. The mouse feels as responsive as my corded USB optical was, tracks just as precisely (if not better), and the only issue I've ever had with it once USB Overdrive was installed was a loss of connection. I push two buttons, a few seconds pass, and I have my mouse functional once more.
Thanks. Mmm. Still think I'll wait a bit longer and see if the "LAZER" gets a BT option
Old Oct 4, 2004, 06:20 AM   #10
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswitcher
Thanks. Mmm. Still think I'll wait a bit longer and see if the "LAZER" gets a BT option
That was my thought as I held the box in the store. Then I realized that a BT version will still have a charging cradle and need to be connected via USB. I saw no reason to wait.
rdowns is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 06:22 AM   #11
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwendigo
Rdowns - Does the newer model have a different version of Logitech Control Center? It did nothing but cripple the mouse when I installed it, which is why I'm using USB Overdrive.
No idea if it's a new version or not. Logitech Control Center 1.3.0 is the version.

Just doesn't feel right to have a post from you without the

rdowns is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 06:31 AM   #12
Diatribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
That was my thought as I held the box in the store. Then I realized that a BT version will still have a charging cradle and need to be connected via USB. I saw no reason to wait.
Yep, if you use it just at home there is no reason to wait. For me, I would only upgrade my MX700 if they'd bring out a BT with an on/off button. The Lazer mouse as BT would be grealty appreciated by a lot of notebook users.
But Logitech has never been very involved when comes to BT. They only offer 1! out of how many? Oh well, I am still hoping.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 09:28 AM   #13
thatwendigo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No idea if it's a new version or not. Logitech Control Center 1.3.0 is the version.
I downloaded and installed LCC 1.3.0, actually, and that's the version that not only didn't make the other five buttons work, but actually disabled the mouse itself. I had to unplug it and plug in my Apple mouse just to uninstall the program and restart so that it would be off my system.

Thanks, Logitech. Your hardware's pretty awesome, but your drivers suck worse than listening to Dont Hurt Me.

(only partially for Rdowns )
Because they change things.
thatwendigo is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers