Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Oct 4, 2004, 06:42 AM   #1
AmigoMac
macrumors 68020

Ballmer: 'iPod users are music thieves'

First the *smart* Bill and the spyware story, that was funny , now the "Monkey boy" ... iPod users are thieves

i hope his son to ask him an iPod for X-mas, if he has not one already and daddy doesn't know
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:20 AM   #2
caveman_uk

This'll be because the ipod plays mp3's? Well, doesn't every player (except Sony's and they're going to) play mp3's? Even WMP on windows will play mp3's. So if we're thieves then so is everyone else.

Anyway isn't this a bit rich coming from Microsoft?
caveman_uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:20 AM   #3
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
Yeah, and all casette recorder and minidisk owners are thieves too.
DRM is a bad thing! They don't allow you to backup our own music and make it difficult to put it on your iPod (or other digital media).
They are stealing your rights to backup your own leagally buyed music.
CD reability has already become a problem, my first cds (about 15 years old) are getting yellow spots and I have trouble playing them.
What could i do if i don't back them up?
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:23 AM   #4
Lancetx
macrumors 68000

Take this as a good sign. Obviously the iPod is really cutting into M$' bottom line if he's going to the trouble to bad mouth the iPod and it's users publicly.
Lancetx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:46 AM   #5
garybUK

Wow this man has children, I do feel sorry for them...

Ballmers bedtime story to his children: Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers

Oh and what do they want to be when they grow up? Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers

haha sorry, couldn't resist.
garybUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:49 AM   #6
AmigoMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybUK

Ballmers bedtime story to his children: Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers

Oh and what do they want to be when they grow up? Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers

... that made my day...
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:58 AM   #7
munkle
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancetx
Take this as a good sign. Obviously the iPod is really cutting into M$' bottom line if he's going to the trouble to bad mouth the iPod and it's users publicly.
Ballmer/MS must really be sweating on the iPod to stoop so low. And enough with the repetition of words to get your point across,

Quote:
We are going to continue to improve our DRM, to make it harder to crack, and easier, easier, easier, easier, to use," he said.
And not only is he a great public speaker but he's a joker too.

Quote:
"My 12-year-old at home doesn’t want to hear that he can’t put all the music that he wants in all of the places that he would like it," he joked.
Ha,ha,ha fricken hilarious!
munkle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:16 AM   #8
sonyrules
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to sonyrules Send a message via Yahoo to sonyrules
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybUK

Thats awsome...
"Using an apple a day, will keep the system crashing, blue screen, file losing, unstable system, memory dump, fatal errors that need to be sent to microsoft, unsecure, and other windows problems away!"
sonyrules is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:19 AM   #9
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quite a broad, sweeping stereotype...

But then again, when has M$ ever "gotten it" on anything?
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:23 AM   #10
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

So if MS makes their own player and music store, are their customers thieves as well?
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:25 AM   #11
5300cs
macrumors 68000

Ballmer: 'iPod users are music thieves'

This coming from one of the biggest thieving companies in the industry?

Funny, I've talked to about 5 people who have actually PAID for windows. Maybe we should change it to 'Windows users are thieves'.
Can someone find some statistics as to the percentage of pirated copies of windows out there?

Last edited by 5300cs; Oct 4, 2004 at 08:28 AM.
5300cs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:38 AM   #12
kettle
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to kettle
Is that a tell tale puddle forming at his feet?

It does sound like it.
kettle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 09:20 AM   #13
the_mole1314
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to the_mole1314
The funny thing is as if M$ players are any better. They play MP3s and most of the illegal music traiding goes on on Windows machines. What I love the is double talk and saving his ass. If your DRM is so easy, why do people have problems importing protected WMAs into WMP 10? Why does buymusic.com have irregular licensing, or why does, most importantly, does nobody care about the MSN Music Store? It seems he's fighting for his music life. The future of music is in downloading stores, and Microsoft missed the target. The next field will be movies, and they are jocking to get into that early. But I guess that Apple will move into that too once all computers come with DVD drives.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:42 AM   #14
Stewie
macrumors 6502

I find it hard to image how MS can protect music from being stolen when they can't even protect their OS or their flagship office products from being pirated.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:50 AM   #15
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Some severely obsessive-compulsive people may feel the need to repeat words a certain number of times, it brings them comfort. Just thought I'd throw that out.

paul
rainman::|:| is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:03 AM   #16
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokey boy
The most common format of music on an iPod is 'stolen'.
I would say that less than 1% of the music on my iPod is from something other than a CD or the iTunes store. And some of that was legally downloaded (like the two Beatallica albums )
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:13 AM   #17
aricher
macrumors 68020

Balmer's just a post-fratboy meathead crybaby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crybabyg.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	17797  
aricher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:14 AM   #18
virividox
macrumors 68040

Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
whatever

most of my music is legal!!!
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:45 AM   #19
Raid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoMac
First the *smart* Bill and the spyware story, that was funny , now the "Monkey boy" ... iPod users are thieves
Man, I think I remember the day's when people used to be called on their rhetoric... he's making a general statement about a group of people using a specific product. It's not that his statement is without merit in some cases, but it certainly doesn't apply to one product.

He's using these comments to try and pump up microsoft's DRM system... it's a lost cause and he knows it, but he won't collect his muti-million dollar bonus this year if he gives up. From a security standpoint, it doesn't matter if a DRM is proprietary or not, it will be cracked in a matter of months anyway. What matters is that no one company should dictate the use of a good or service that was legally purchased; and instead of being told that stealing music is wrong, how getting the labels to defend their pricing and costs?
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:57 AM   #20
keysersoze
macrumors 68000

Stupid Stupid Monkey Man.

keysersoze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:07 PM   #21
fistful
macrumors 6502a

What would Jesus say? "Who cares!"
fistful is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:23 PM   #22
rueyeet
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballmer
We’ve had DRM in Windows for years. The most common format of music on an iPod is 'stolen'.....

Most people still steal music. We can build the technology but there are still ways for people to steal music.
"Most people" still steal music. Well, hmmm. Most people use Windows, too. I take it the pre-iTMS presence of DRM technology in Windows didn't accomplish squat, then.

His observation should probably be amended to, "The most common format of music on a Windows computer is 'stolen'." (an observation borne out by nearly all of my Windows-using friends and acquaintances).

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GCS/O d+(---) s+:+>+: !a C+$ U P L+(-) E--
W++ N- o? K- w(---) O? M+ V PS++ PE Y+ PGP-
t(--) 5++ X- R+ tv- b+ DI++ D G e++ h-- r x+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
rueyeet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:58 PM   #23
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rueyeet
"Most people" still steal music. Well, hmmm. Most people use Windows, too. I take it the pre-iTMS presence of DRM technology in Windows didn't accomplish squat, then.
Good point! If DRM has been in Windows for years, what have they done with it? Squat from what I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rueyeet
His observation should probably be amended to, "The most common format of music on a Windows computer is 'stolen'." (an observation borne out by nearly all of my Windows-using friends and acquaintances).
So many Windows users that I know will say, "Why should I pay 99 cents for a song on iTMS when I can DL it for free?"

Sushi
sushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:59 PM   #24
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwhannel
Some severely obsessive-compulsive people may feel the need to repeat words a certain number of times, it brings them comfort. Just thought I'd throw that out.
So true!

If you say something enough times it them becomes reality.

Sushi
sushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 01:04 PM   #25
keysersoze
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi
So true!

If you say something enough times it them becomes reality.

Sushi
Does that really work??

I have some things I want to be reality....off to mumble to myself!

keysersoze is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events