Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
I have email hosted through Qwest, they use pop3 server and designate their email as xxxx@q.com. My problem is I can receive mail but not cannot send email. I receive a message that states the sending address is not valid. This only happens on the iPad imbedded mail program. The genius personnel LOL at the apple store were confounded, any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.

WytRaven

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Orbiting Mercury
This has been checked and verified, so the problem is something other than the outgoing server. Thank you for your response, anyone else?:)

This may not be related to your problem but some ISPs do not allow you to use sendmail servers (SMTP) that are not their own (an attempt to kerb spam I believe).

Example: I have my own server which my extended family use for their email amongst other things. My parents use Internode for their internet services. The cannot use my SMTP server at all because Internode blocks it. They must use Internodes SMTP sever instead. I, on the other hand, am with iiNet and I can use my SMTP server just fine.

Perhaps check with your ISP on this?

Dapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
This may not be related to your problem but some ISPs do not allow you to use sendmail servers (SMTP) that are not their own (an attempt to kerb spam I believe).

Example: I have my own server which my extended family use for their email amongst other things. My parents use Internode for their internet services. The cannot use my SMTP server at all because Internode blocks it. They must use Internodes SMTP sever instead. I, on the other hand, am with iiNet and I can use my SMTP server just fine.

Perhaps check with your ISP on this?

I use smtp on my PC so it is not the use of the server, however I can manipulate the options to include using TLS and setting the ports which I cannot do on the iPad. It is kind of a pain that I can use other email programs (web) within the iPad but not the default program.

CenturyLink

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
Mac iPad and SMTP woes...

Hey Dapper

I have email hosted through Qwest, they use pop3 server and designate their email as xxxx@q.com. My problem is I can receive mail but not cannot send email. I receive a message that states the sending address is not valid. This only happens on the iPad imbedded mail program. QUOTE]

Just spoke with one of my super techs, John, he believes the following may hlep.

Currently q.com SMTP outgoing email is set to port 25. Some and most carriers block port 25. You can call Qwest and ask them to remove a port 25 blocks on your account but if you are at a coffee shop they probably with have blocked your outgoing mail via port 25 blocks to prevent spam. Also, your outgoing mail server requires SSL. Here is the link from Qwest on Mac mail set up. http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/email/pdf/mail_mac_qcom.pdf

If you have any issues with this, or would like some direct assistance, please email me directly at TalkToUs@qwest.com with my name in the subject line. For speedier service please include your name and Qwest billing number with a good contact number other than the biiling.

Rich Lilya
Mgr, Talk To Qwest Team

Dapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Hey Dapper

I have email hosted through Qwest, they use pop3 server and designate their email as xxxx@q.com. My problem is I can receive mail but not cannot send email. I receive a message that states the sending address is not valid. This only happens on the iPad imbedded mail program. QUOTE]

Just spoke with one of my super techs, John, he believes the following may hlep.

Currently q.com SMTP outgoing email is set to port 25. Some and most carriers block port 25. You can call Qwest and ask them to remove a port 25 blocks on your account but if you are at a coffee shop they probably with have blocked your outgoing mail via port 25 blocks to prevent spam. Also, your outgoing mail server requires SSL. Here is the link from Qwest on Mac mail set up. http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/email/pdf/mail_mac_qcom.pdf

If you have any issues with this, or would like some direct assistance, please email me directly at TalkToUs@qwest.com with my name in the subject line. For speedier service please include your name and Qwest billing number with a good contact number other than the biiling.

Rich Lilya
Mgr, Talk To Qwest Team

It seems that this is a problem inherent to my iPad notice I mention " My Ipad" because my email works fine with any other application or any other equipment I choose to send and receive email. I typically use " my iPad" on my home network which is qwest and when at star bucks I connect to my qwest network now I realize I may seem a little dense but the problem does not happen on any other device than my iPad which is why I posted in the forum to begin with. Any assistance will be appreciated if it helps with " my ipads" inability to send a q.com email address. Thanks!

Dapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Hopefully the update to the os will include a better mail program where you can input advanced features, thank goodness for gmail, hotmail etc. Yes it is a pain but what else can you do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.