Qwest xxxx@q.com email problem with iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dapper, May 20, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Apr 23, 2010
    I have email hosted through Qwest, they use pop3 server and designate their email as xxxx@q.com. My problem is I can receive mail but not cannot send email. I receive a message that states the sending address is not valid. This only happens on the iPad imbedded mail program. The genius personnel LOL at the apple store were confounded, any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2008
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Apr 23, 2010
    This has been checked and verified, so the problem is something other than the outgoing server. Thank you for your response, anyone else?:)
  4. macrumors 6502

Mar 19, 2009
    Orbiting Mercury
    This may not be related to your problem but some ISPs do not allow you to use sendmail servers (SMTP) that are not their own (an attempt to kerb spam I believe).

Example: I have my own server which my extended family use for their email amongst other things. My parents use Internode for their internet services. The cannot use my SMTP server at all because Internode blocks it. They must use Internodes SMTP sever instead. I, on the other hand, am with iiNet and I can use my SMTP server just fine.

Perhaps check with your ISP on this?
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Apr 23, 2010
    I use smtp on my PC so it is not the use of the server, however I can manipulate the options to include using TLS and setting the ports which I cannot do on the iPad. It is kind of a pain that I can use other email programs (web) within the iPad but not the default program.
  6. macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2009
    Mac iPad and SMTP woes...

Hey Dapper

7. thread starter macrumors member

Apr 23, 2010
  8. thread starter macrumors member

Apr 23, 2010
    Hopefully the update to the os will include a better mail program where you can input advanced features, thank goodness for gmail, hotmail etc. Yes it is a pain but what else can you do?