Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
One for the UK folks here....

I just noticed that the Sky Mobile TV app has been updated to include iPad support, and it's a really nice looking app.

Unfortunately, that's where the good news ends.

The subscription for the iPhone is £6 a month, which I'm happy to pay. I expected to pay a similar amount on the iPad, so how much do you think it is?

£35 PER MONTH!

Now that's, clearly, complete madness.

Is anyone actually going to pay that, for half a dozen channels!?

Discuss.

EDIT: Thrown upa couple of blog posts...

Sky Mobile gets a univeersal app - at a price

Sky Mobile - prices clarified and app tested

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
For us Amurricans, can you tell us what this is roughly equivalent to? I mean it sounds insane, but is this 'premium', commercial-free programming, or something else? Is it the equivalent to us getting something like "Grey's Anatomy" on the ABC app with commercials, or better?

All I know about Sky is that they keep putting off the "Going Postal" movie and it's making me sad (I thought it was supposed to be Easter!).

01jww1

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
price

How do you know its £35 it does not say that in itunes. can you show me a link.

thanks

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
For us Amurricans, can you tell us what this is roughly equivalent to? I mean it sounds insane, but is this 'premium', commercial-free programming, or something else? Is it the equivalent to us getting something like "Grey's Anatomy" on the ABC app with commercials, or better?

All I know about Sky is that they keep putting off the "Going Postal" movie and it's making me sad (I thought it was supposed to be Easter!).

The app basically streams the four sports channels, just as they are on TV, including ads. Sky News is in there too.

If you download the app, and hit the sign-up button, it tries to sigma you up for a £35 p/m contract. It's in the FAQ too.

LixLev

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
I updated this, and stupidly emptied my trash for and lost the 1.2 ipa, so now I'm stuck. Anyone who still has it, would it be possible to share with me the 1.2 ipa? Obviously because it is a free app I wouldn't be ripping you off and I would use my own login (I don't think it is possible to use someone elses anyway). Would make you an absolute life saver!

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Complete and utter madness. Why would anyone pay such a crazy amount per month for 4 sports channels :eek:

For you US people out there, £35/month is 51/month.

I simply cannot fathom how Sky can justify this price when the iPhone is £6/month, and the iPhone version includes ESPN too.

Madness, Sky. I'd be amazed if anyone takes you up on this.

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Complete and utter madness. Why would anyone pay such a crazy amount per month for 4 sports channels :eek:

For you US people out there, £35/month is 51/month.

I simply cannot fathom how Sky can justify this price when the iPhone is £6/month, and the iPhone version includes ESPN too.

Madness, Sky. I'd be amazed if anyone takes you up on this.

I'm going to do a blog post about it when I get the time, hopefully tomorrow. I'll post a link here, hopefully we can make plenty of noise!

Pushkar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
SW London, UK
I'm going to do a blog post about it when I get the time, hopefully tomorrow. I'll post a link here, hopefully we can make plenty of noise!

Do it, I sent an email to the staff at Sky about the price they have set, Im sure that many of us will be happy to pay about £10 a month for the service. Yes I know it's extra to the £6 we pay on the iPhone, but it's reasonable.

Either way, There won't be any customers for £35 a month, you could get 20 times more channels for the same price and just stream it using your Mac.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Wow, that's a horrible deal.

Hopefully the BBC come up with an app to let you stream world cup games.

Thank God for the "Free-to-air list"!

Drew-UK

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
Yeah, it's an absolute disgrace. As mentioned above, if someone can make the 1.2 ipa available somewhere, that would really help us out.

Location on pc.
My music\iTunes\iTunes media\mobile applications

Thanks

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OMG and €54 for ROI !! Sky you really are taking the piss. Seriously these should be free for anyone who has a sports package.

Major Fail indeed.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Yeah, it's an absolute disgrace. As mentioned above, if someone can make the 1.2 ipa available somewhere, that would really help us out.

Location on pc.
My music\iTunes\iTunes media\mobile applications

Thanks

Sky just sent me an email saying 1.2 will no longer work on any device as from the 28th May...

Phazer

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
wow unbelievable. Im interested in knowing if anyone i actualy considering paying that? I had the Iphone app for a while at £6 ( and 3 month free trial) and it was great as it included espn, a subscription I didnt have at home. But I wouldn't consider ever paying more then that for what was a seldom used application for when access to the tv was not available

What makes a £35 price tag on the Ipad even worse is that , if you consider the device as a replacement for netbooks..... if you are already a sky subscriber you can get Skyplayer through your browser for FREE !

daleksec

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
I've received an email back from sky. I really hope they get no subscribers on the ipad.

Dear Sir
Thankyou for contacting Sky regarding the Sky Mobile TV application. I can advise that the UK launch of the iPad is 28/05/2010. When the iPad is launched in the UK we will be running a promotion to Sky subscribers with dual Sports in their TV package for 3 months free subscription to the service.
Otherwise Sky Mobile TV on the iPad will be charge at £35 per month and is subscribed for in the same manner as the iPhone or Ipod Touch all be it it is the application for the iPad that you select from the app store.
If you already subscribe to Sky Mobile TV on the iPhone or iPod and you wish to change the service to the iPad you will need to either cancel your current subscription and then subscribe for the iPad or leave your current subscription running and run a second subscription for the iPad.

I trust this information helps, however, should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact our team on 08442 411 531.

Kind regards
Graham
Sky Help Centre
http://www.sky.com

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Who do they think they are, AT&T? Heh.

(Seriously, that seems crazy.)

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
I've received an email back from sky. I really hope they get no subscribers on the ipad.

Dear Sir
Thankyou for contacting Sky regarding the Sky Mobile TV application. I can advise that the UK launch of the iPad is 28/05/2010. When the iPad is launched in the UK we will be running a promotion to Sky subscribers with dual Sports in their TV package for 3 months free subscription to the service.
Otherwise Sky Mobile TV on the iPad will be charge at £35 per month and is subscribed for in the same manner as the iPhone or Ipod Touch all be it it is the application for the iPad that you select from the app store.
If you already subscribe to Sky Mobile TV on the iPhone or iPod and you wish to change the service to the iPad you will need to either cancel your current subscription and then subscribe for the iPad or leave your current subscription running and run a second subscription for the iPad.

I trust this information helps, however, should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact our team on 08442 411 531.

Kind regards
Graham
Sky Help Centre
http://www.sky.com

Very helpful.

Make sure everyone spreads either a link to this thread or my blog post a the more noise we make the better!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.