Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trevreyno

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Greedy MURDOCH again as he starts putting up his pay-walls all over the place to try and exploit new technology.:mad:

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
I e-mailed this to the Sky Mobile TV team earlier today:

"Dear Sir,

As a subscriber to your iPhone version of your Mobile TV package, I welcomed the news that you would be bringing an iPad specific version out.

However, I was absolutely amazed, and quite frankly disgusted, that you have put a ludicrous £35/month price point on it.

With the iPhone version being £6/month, I cannot see how you can even come close to justyfying this cost. The increase in picture quality of the iPad version cannot justify this monumental price diference between the iPhone and iPad versions of Mobile TV.

I have now cancelled my iPhone Mobile TV, and also cancelled my Sky Sports package on my main Sky package aswell as a gesture of how strongly I feel that this is quite simply out and out greed on Sky's behalf.

I just thought it might be useful that you are aware that I (and I am sure others), am not impressed with the iPad package at this price level, and that in my case it has actually had a detrimental effect to Sky, as I have have cancelled two aspects of my Sky subscription as a direct result.

Yours Sincerely,"

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
I e-mailed this to the Sky Mobile TV team earlier today:

"Dear Sir,

As a subscriber to your iPhone version of your Mobile TV package, I welcomed the news that you would be bringing an iPad specific version out.

However, I was absolutely amazed, and quite frankly disgusted, that you have put a ludicrous £35/month price point on it.

With the iPhone version being £6/month, I cannot see how you can even come close to justyfying this cost. The increase in picture quality of the iPad version cannot justify this monumental price diference between the iPhone and iPad versions of Mobile TV.

I have now cancelled my iPhone Mobile TV, and also cancelled my Sky Sports package on my main Sky package aswell as a gesture of how strongly I feel that this is quite simply out and out greed on Sky's behalf.

I just thought it might be useful that you are aware that I (and I am sure others), am not impressed with the iPad package at this price level, and that in my case it has actually had a detrimental effect to Sky, as I have have cancelled two aspects of my Sky subscription as a direct result.

Yours Sincerely,"

Let us know if you hear anything.

Ashmanspice

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
After the app hasn't worked properly for the past 6 and now they've come up with this! Its almost insulting! Sky can shove it up it's arse! I've also cancelled my iPhone subscription.. :mad::mad::mad:

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
ive now also emailed sky.

there more I think about their pricing the more ridiculas it seems, considering you can get a slingbox for £100 with no subscriptions and can stream it to both of your devices , even over 3g and have access to EVERY sky channel you own rather then a selection, why would anyone subscribe to the sky app ?!

koollectablz

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Well I used to use the iphone app a fair bit, as I don't have sky tv and output to my telly using tvout.

But as the season's over and they really think they can charge £35 for it on the iPad!

No more - just cancelled.

Thats another guaranteed £6 a month their greed just cost them. Really hope this ends up biting them in the arse.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
How much does a TV subscription to SkyTV cost per month?

35 quid per month sounds rather rich for mobile television service from a single provider... but if you have a TV in your household at all, don't you also have to pay the British Government a mandatory fee (per month or year?) for the BBC even if you don't watch the BBC?

Nevasleep

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
How much does a TV subscription to SkyTV cost per month?

35 quid per month sounds rather rich for mobile television service from a single provider... but if you have a TV in your household at all, don't you also have to pay the British Government a mandatory fee (per month or year?) for the BBC even if you don't watch the BBC?

Its mostly for the Sky Sports Channels.
These channels cost so much because they put massive amounts of money into the Premier League (football), and other sports.

I hope they see the error of their ways, and just charge £10ish

daleksec

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
So Sky have cleared up their pricing.

SPECIAL FREE* TRIAL OFFER FOR IPAD CUSTOMERS:

To celebrate the launch of Sky Mobile TV on the iPad we have two special offers available:

3 Months Free* - if you are a Sky customer with a subscription to the Sky Sports Pack (either via Sky TV or via Sky Player) you can get 3 months free Sky Mobile TV - see below for full details. £6(UK)/€7(ROI) a month thereafter. Please note: you will first need to redeem your 3 months free promotional code to be recognised for this price point

First Month Free* - offer open to all non-Sky and Sky customers who do not have a Sky Sports pack subscription - see below for full details. £35(UK)/€54(ROI) a month thereafter.

These offers can only be redeemed by customers subscribing to Sky Mobile TV on the iPad.

I still think it stinks that as a non sports subscriber they are expecting me to pay an extra £29 now.

Out of interest has anyone managed to get this app working? Mine keeps on giving me a "Temporary Network Error" even though my wifi is fine for browsing etc on my iPad.

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Those prices are a little bit better...providing you already have Sky Sports.

Wonder what would happen, if after you got your 3 free months code, and were then eligable to go onto the £6/month iPad fee, if you cancelled your Sky Sports sub one month into your free 3 months ?

Would the Sky system be smart enough to realise this and start charging you £35/month, or would you continue for free for the next two months, and then go onto the £6/month option, despite at that point no longer having Sky Sports as part of your main package.

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
So Sky have cleared up their pricing.

SPECIAL FREE* TRIAL OFFER FOR IPAD CUSTOMERS:

To celebrate the launch of Sky Mobile TV on the iPad we have two special offers available:

3 Months Free* - if you are a Sky customer with a subscription to the Sky Sports Pack (either via Sky TV or via Sky Player) you can get 3 months free Sky Mobile TV - see below for full details. £6(UK)/€7(ROI) a month thereafter. Please note: you will first need to redeem your 3 months free promotional code to be recognised for this price point

First Month Free* - offer open to all non-Sky and Sky customers who do not have a Sky Sports pack subscription - see below for full details. £35(UK)/€54(ROI) a month thereafter.

These offers can only be redeemed by customers subscribing to Sky Mobile TV on the iPad.

I still think it stinks that as a non sports subscriber they are expecting me to pay an extra £29 now.

Out of interest has anyone managed to get this app working? Mine keeps on giving me a "Temporary Network Error" even though my wifi is fine for browsing etc on my iPad.

That's interesting, thanks for the info. Do you have a link?

We subscribe to Sky Sports (HD and all), so I'll give it a shot.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
OK, they could certainly have made that easier to understand. I'm subscribed to Sky (including sports) at home, and I also have the iPhone app at £6pm. Have just spent ages scouring their T&Cs to figure out how on earth I can get it on the iPad too. It was far from clear.

My understanding is :

- if you have an iPhone subscription, you need a separate iPad one on top of that (another £6pm)

- if you don't have Sky Sports at home, it's not £6pm, it's £35pm

- there is a promo of three months free, but you need a code for that. To get the code you have to phone Sky and they will email you it

- you can't set up a separate iPad & iPhone subscription online as the system tells you you already have one. You have to phone Sky to get them to set up a second account

- you can transfer a subscription from one device to another (ie transfer your iPhone sub to your iPad), but again you can't do that online. Again, you have to phone Sky and they will change it over within two working days

What a dogs dinner. They do their very best to make it as difficult as possible for you to buy any of their products, don't they?

Rankrotten

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
UK
What about customers who subscribe to the Sky Sports TV package via Virgin Cable, will this promo also be available?

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
OK, they could certainly have made that easier to understand. I'm subscribed to Sky (including sports) at home, and I also have the iPhone app at £6pm. Have just spent ages scouring their T&Cs to figure out how on earth I can get it on the iPad too. It was far from clear.

My understanding is :

- if you have an iPhone subscription, you need a separate iPad one on top of that (another £6pm)

- if you don't have Sky Sports at home, it's not £6pm, it's £35pm

- there is a promo of three months free, but you need a code for that. To get the code you have to phone Sky and they will email you it

- you can't set up a separate iPad & iPhone subscription online as the system tells you you already have one. You have to phone Sky to get them to set up a second account

- you can transfer a subscription from one device to another (ie transfer your iPhone sub to your iPad), but again you can't do that online. Again, you have to phone Sky and they will change it over within two working days

What a dogs dinner. They do their very best to make it as difficult as possible for you to buy any of their products, don't they?

We have to ring up? Christ, it's hard work this.

daleksec

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
We have to ring up? Christ, it's hard work this.

So I just bit the bullet and signed up for the free trial(only 1 month as a non sports subscriber), might as well watch the cricket on a 10" screen for a month.

Signup was quite painless, took about 4 mins mostly on hold as the guy transferred my account details onto his form. He gave me the promo code over the phone.

Only watched for 5 mins so far but quality is better than iPhone app.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
I have to take back what I said, its actually not all that unreasonable for an existing Sky tv subscriber, i've just signed up to the Ipad app with 3 months free and £6 thereafter. At least it wll cover me for the worldcup!

however I would like to add, my intial experience with it was a little poor, stuttery and then disconnected ( over wifi) but will use a bit more before passing judgement.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Apart from the fact that the World Cup isn't on Sky, it's on BBC & ITV!

TVCatchUp is your friend if you want to see World Cup games.

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Got the miss us to ring up and sort our 3 month trials out. Should be £6 a month after that, though the site does still say £35. The Sky rep swears blind that's an error with the way the site checks your Sky Sports subscription. We shall see!

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
Got the miss us to ring up and sort our 3 month trials out. Should be £6 a month after that, though the site does still say £35. The Sky rep swears blind that's an error with the way the site checks your Sky Sports subscription. We shall see!

yea they said the same thing to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.