Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T's announcement of their new capped data plans has generated a lot of discussion amongst current and future iPhone owners. In short, AT&T eliminated their $30/month unlimited plan for new iPhone customers starting on June 7th. After that time, new iPhone (and other smartphone) customers have the option of $15/mo (200MB) and $25/mo (2GB) data plans. AT&T, however, has grandfathered in existing iPhone customers by allowing them to keep the $30/month unlimited plan if they desire.

But with the new iPhone just around the corner, several readers wondered if that guarantee would hold even if they chose to upgrade to the new iPhone. It seems like it will.

AT&T has replied on their Facebook page indicating that current customers may keep the $30/month unlimited plan even when they upgrade to a new iPhone:
The good news for current customers who love their unlimited plan is this: they are not required to switch, even when it's time to upgrade to a new phone. So you are welcome to keep your unlimited plan :)
Of course, by staying on the unlimited plan, customers won't be able to add on tethering service. See our previous coverage of the new pricing plans for further details.

Article Link: AT&T iPhone Customers Can Keep Unlimited Data Plan for Next iPhone

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I'll wait and see if this is really the case. Can AT&T be trusted?

SaaGua

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
So, either those retards are planning to eliminate unlimited plan or raise their prices...

Please let there be an alternative to ATT for the iPhone...

douglaswilliams

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Oklahoma
Shoot, these caps do it for me. It's over the top. My wife and I were finally going to switch to AT&T but now were gonna wait for Verizon this Fall.

I'm sure I wouldn't go over 2GB/month but just the fear of the limit would make me not enjoy the phone's abilities.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
If this is the case, I might just get the 3GS now with the unlimited data plan, and return it if the new iPhone is released within 30 days.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
June 7 --- which coincides with Steve's keynote.

I wonder if the new iPhone is going to be available the same day.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Great news. Not that I use insane amounts of data, but for only $5 I'd rather keep the unlimited. Now, if a 2GB plan was, say, $15, that'd be different.

Of course, they get you by not allowing tethering on the unlimited plans.

Dan55304

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2006
Why more for tethering?

Gad, I just don't get these pricing plans. Data is, well data. Who cares if it comes from tethering to a laptop or from a smart phone. What justifies charging additional for tethering?

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
People really need to look at their bills and see how they don't even come close to the 2GB cap it will be. Sure some might, and maybe they're all the ones here, but 2GB on a phone, unless you're j/b and tethering, isn't a simple feat...

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
What you talking about AT&T?

So say, i sold my iPhone 3G, Switched to a crappy dumbphone for a month, would i get the option to get the $30/unlimited plan??? when i upgrade????

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
USA
Not fair. If I want an iPhone and unlimited data, I won't get it even though I'm willing to pay a measly $5 more? That's not right. I don't want an iPHone now though, so it doesn't really matter. Just an outside view.

defboob

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
I have no problem at all with these new plans, in fact i'm happy to see them. In my case i think it will actually lower my bill.

My wife and I are on a family share with 2 iPhones - on a monthly basis she has never gone over 100MB usage on the data plan. Myself I vary anywhere from 300-450MB per month and I hardly feel restricted with that, i use it quite frequently.

So switching her to the $15 plan and myself to the $25 plan will reduce our monthly bill by $20. I'm pretty happy about that. I'm willing to bet over 50% of the people with iPhones could benefit from this change in reducing their monthly fees.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
What you talking about AT&T?

So say, i sold my iPhone 3G, Switched to a crappy dumbphone for a month, would i get the option to get the $30/unlimited plan??? when i upgrade????

If you kept your original contract and just did a sim-swap to the dumphone, I don't see how you'd lose your grandfathered contract with this news.

However, there's still a chance AT&T will not offer the new iPhone 4 to anyone other than "new contract" purchasers at launch day.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
2 months ago the iPad had unlimited data, now it is capped.

We're going to trust ATT with this right now?

Time for a FCC or FTC complaint I think.

Guy Carlo

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Upstate New York
There is only one solution if you want to keep raping AT&T the way they rape us...

I use 10GB a month on my 3GS...

My solution: My-Wi + 3G unrestrictor
voice at $65
unlimited data at $30
total of about $110 after fees

Their solution: AT&T insanity
voice at $65
2GB data at $25
8GB data at $80
tethering at $20
total of about $220 after fees

I don't know about you, but I like my plan better... ; )

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
I use 10GB a month on my 3GS...

Do you use Wi-Fi at all? Cause that is like 300MB a day?

What apps do you use that requires that much data????

It doesn't matter to me, I am on WiFi unless I am in the car somewhere.

UPDATE: I checked my bill and I really don't use as much cell data as I thought. At the most around 250MB, so I almost qualify for the $15 plan, but I will stick with the 2GB to be safe.

I will be saving money, so I don't care.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Thank you ATT. I'll keep my unlimited plan with MyWi for unlimited usage (5GB theoretical) and tethering for $30/mo. Best of both worlds.

madridista59

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Houston, TX
If you kept your original contract and just did a sim-swap to the dumphone, I don't see how you'd lose your grandfathered contract with this news.

However, there's still a chance AT&T will not offer the new iPhone 4 to anyone other than "new contract" purchasers at launch day.

say at&t does do this, could we still go buy the new iphone from apple stores with no contract you think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.