Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I was jussssssst about to drop my verizon mifi plan and put the iphone data plan back on until I read "of course, tethering not allowed on unlimited plan" what a crock of 8888! so whats the point of unlimited data, no one will ever use 2gb only on the phone. but of course att knows that! :mad: absolute BS and att is playing it to the stupid ones that don't see how much dung this is :mad:

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
+1 tethering with a 2Gb cap should be included for no additional charge for $25 a month. If ATT insists on charging more for tethering then it should be only $5 a month more, $10 max!! Spending $45 a month for data+tethering with a 2Gb cap is is ridiculous. I could have an iphone on the 200Mb plan plus an ipad on the 2Gb plan for only $40 a month and save $5 but with an extra 200Mb od data.

exactly! why would I pay $45/month for 2gb of crappy att network when I can get 5gb of verizon's far superior network for $60/month?????? oh, because you have the new iphone you say att? well, we'll see who laughs last in that game

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
For everyone doubting that anyone goes over 2GB's probably every person here does.

Actually most of the people who have checked their actual data usage here and elsewhere, have NOT been over the 2 gig limit. So you are simply wrong.

This new pricing on all smartphones might finally allow me to get into an iphone via walmarts $97 3gs. As a poor college student I could never justify the extra $30 a month minimum data plans all the major carriers force you to buy when you get a smart phone with 2 year pricing. I currently carry my call only cell phone along with my ipod touch for games, movies, music, and the internet when I find wifi. Saving $180 a year over the unlimited $30 is well worth the small effort to make sure I'm on wifi if I want to watch youtube and the 200mb would easily cover all my email, general browsing with images disabled, and texting using the Textfree app.

I know the $ per kb is pretty high, but I like to think of it as buying a tub of mayo from costco for $20 when I know it will go bad before I use all of it myself vs a jar from walmart that I will use up just before it goes bad for $10.

Not only is ATT freeing up the network for 98% of their 3g users (not just iphone), but they are lowering the cost to own a smartphone. Sucks to be in the 2%, but from a business standpoint you are adding customers with the lower price point, saving current customers money, and speeding up their network for the most part.

I know they will be sending messages about % left, but anybody know if they will offer the option to "hardwire" your limit so that once you hit 200mb all you have is a phone rather than charging for the difference?

Now the ipad on the other hand, you can't back out of unlimited data pricing that fast unless you've got a good reason. I'm hoping since the ipad is unlocked Jobs will be announcing several other wireless carriers as options on the ipad the same day and among them will be an option with a higher gb cap.

Seem like a pretty put together college kid. There is hope for the future.

Hate to see where At&t takes this when they introduce their LTE network. There will be no grandfather plan to save us then. The future is an all data voice
over ip cell network no more minute plans. This was talked about back at CTIA by Ralph and it looks like At&t is priming the pump and getting it customers ready for this tiered data crap. Please stop trying to say this is good. I understand when Apple make a f*up decision some try to rationalize it for whatever reason, blinded by Jedi Jobs I guess, but why do it for At&t.

No doubt that AT&T and all the other MAJOR carriers will not have an unlimited option. Simply too easily abused. As long as I only have to pay for my fair share, though, I don't care. I have been subsidizing the 2%ers for years now, and I am glad to stop doing it. If they don't like it and want to leave, good for me, and good for AT&T.

THANK YOU KIND SIR :D

Even with the grandfather clause still in effect I don't want to deal with AT&T anymore considering that they won't do anything to help there own network or listen to customers complaints but instead have us pay up front through the nose and maybe if they can get people to quit yelling at them about there crappy 3g service they will get to upgrading if all the other carriers do it as well. We all know we are getting cornholed for a piece of technology. It's just a matter of if we are going to keep taking it or not and if people are going to sign up for this just to be a part of a fad.

They lowered data rates for almost ALL of their customers and in the same swift move managed to lessen the load on their network. Seems like some pretty customer friendly actions to me.

How deep in the Apple/AT&T cult can you be? They offered UNLIMITED service - if they couldn't provide it due to technical limitations, it was a LIE to offer it especially since they've now capped at 2GB knowing that the iPhone OS 4 will consume more data based on multitasking capability. The only reason they're grandfathering is to avoid lawsuits and FTC investigations.

How could you sue them for data plans changing? They are allowed to change the services you offered. They are not charging you for something you didn't get. I assume you are legally ignorant?

I just got off the phone after being placed on hold and transferred to numerous representatives for about an hour.

What I wanted to do was convert my line to a family share plan, add another 3G to my account, and be grandfathered in to get the unlimited data plan on the new iPhone. I was told this was not possible by two different people (called twice) because:

1) When you buy the new phone, AT&T requires you to sign a new 2 year commitment to purchase it at the subsidized cost.

2) When you sign a new contract, you have to select one of new data plans to accompany your plan for that line. If you have a 3G/3GS on a family share plan, those phones will remain grandfathered in and get the unlimited plan. Your new phone will not.

3) AT&T said that if I got the new iPhone, put my SIM in it, and tried to continue using the unlimited plan, you would automatically be forced to select a new plan. The representative told me that AT&T tracks the IMEI number associated with the phone (much like trying to keep the 2G plan with a 3G phone, which only works for a little while) and will automatically either switch or prompt you to switch (other choice being go back to your 3G/3GS).

I think this is totally ridiculous. We already pay far more than Blackberry customers for unlimited data, and to put a 2GB cap for $5 less a month than what we are currently paying, they can kiss it.

Has anyone else heard otherwise speaking directly to an AT&T rep?

Realize that csr reps should never be contacted about any change in any company before it goes into place. It is only asking for trouble.

I believe these go in effect on June 7th, so if yo want to an AT&T store today and did what you wanted, it should not be a problem, I would assume.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Yes, you could borrow a 3G/3GS and call to add the unlimited data plan. But if you want the new unreleased iPhone, from what the rep just told me, you have to change to the capped data plans because the new iPhone isn't a "qualified upgrade device" for the grandfathered plan. This would only allow you to get unlimited on a 3G or 3GS.

I flat out believe the rep or reps saying this are simply wrong.

It directly contradicts the secondary press release AT&T sent out this morning addressing this very specific issue.

Again, people, stop calling and talking to CSR for companies for things that have not even been introduced. It is not even wise to do it for a few weeks after it has been introduced, but doing so before something becomes active is just asking to get bad information.

People are calling them and they have not been officially trained so all they got is rumor, speculation and guesswork.

I am going to take the word of the specific AT&T press release over that of a CSR rep who has not been officially trained for this yet.

edit: I will modify this as it was not a press release but a statement on their facebook page, which is the actual topic of discussion for this thread. So I stand by my position.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Very unclear how this is going to free up bandwidth and make life better for the rest of us?

According to ATT 98% of users use under 2gb. So assuming that the other 2% use over that and they will change their evil ways and begin using less doesn't that imply we will only see a 2% increase in network performance?

I don't buy that 2% are killing the network for the rest of us?

I call this another way to milk customers of more money. I'm glad I didn't got 3G iPad.

I will downgrade the wives plan as she only uses 35mg a month, however even though I'm well under the 2gb limit I'll be keeping my unlimited plan.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
Gad, I just don't get these pricing plans. Data is, well data. Who cares if it comes from tethering to a laptop or from a smart phone. What justifies charging additional for tethering?

"as much as you can eat, as long as you are a single person".

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Very unclear how this is going to free up bandwidth and make life better for the rest of us?

According to ATT 98% of users use under 2gb. So assuming that the other 2% use over that and they will change their evil ways and begin using less doesn't that imply we will only see a 2% increase in network performance?

I don't buy that 2% are killing the network for the rest of us?

I call this another way to milk customers of more money. I'm glad I didn't got 3G iPad.

I will downgrade the wives plan as she only uses 35mg a month, however even though I'm well under the 2gb limit I'll be keeping my unlimited plan.

Those 2% of the users are probably using anywhere from 25% - 40% of the network resources, so yeah they are killing it for the rest of us.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Greedy

Its kinda sorta amazing and how greedy AT&T is really getting.

FYI, Check your billing statements, people have found added cost's that AT&T slipped in on there accounts. This is NOT BS, this happened here in NY.

As for the new iPhone and whacky data pricing, I'll either stick to netshare which still works great for me, or just stay with the 3G I have till it dies.

I'm going to end up paying full price, because signing a 2 year agreement with the highest dropped call carrier is getting hard to swallow.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
Everyone should check out the newest MR post "More Details on AT&T's Data Plan Changes for iPhone and iPad" as it may be a better source of information and it may clear up some confusion...

Now as for whether 2GB is enough or not...

I consider myself a regular/savvy iPhone user. Now, I am not a heavy DATA user... I occasionally watch videos online or on youtube, but I regularly tweet, use facebook, do a bunch of web browsing, I regularly use google maps, and I use web enabled apps.

I checked my account, and I've been (fairly) consistently using ~ 500 megs of data per month. Surprisingly, my dad (who is NOT a savvy user) has been using ~700-800megs for the last few months. I wonder if it was after he discovered Pandora...

jkchr1s

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
I just wanted to clear up some of my earlier posts:

I talked to AT&T through the Facebook page and they confirmed that existing iPhone customers -- 2G-3GS -- can all keep their unlimited data plans for $30/mo.

So in my case, I went by my local AT&T store and activated another SIM card on my account because I was going to add another person when the new phone came out, give them my 3GS, and take the upgrade. The rep happily added another line to my account with no contract and used the IMEI from my current phone. This added a second, contract-free line that will allow me to purchase the iPhone HD (or whatever it's called) at the subsidized cost. Just be really friendly with the rep and they will hopefully let you add another the same way before the June 7th deadline of the tiered data pricing.

Good luck guys!

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Those 2% of the users are probably using anywhere from 25% - 40% of the network resources, so yeah they are killing it for the rest of us.

However these people are unlikely to change ways and keep the unlimited plans and keep doing what they are doing.

So in a way this move does nothing to help the rest of us?

Cancelled
May 29, 2005
Just wait. They'll get around to it.
They can't tell you're using an iphone if you bought an iphone that was never locked to AT&T, like one from europe. They only have the imei's of phones they sell, not all of them.

kudukudu

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Gad, I just don't get these pricing plans. Data is, well data. Who cares if it comes from tethering to a laptop or from a smart phone. What justifies charging additional for tethering?

I suspect someone has already made this point, but I am too lazy to read through the whole thread. When using your iphone without tethering, it is pretty hard to go over the 2 GB limit unless you are a heavy user which is why AT&T isn't too concerned about grandfathering the unlimited plan as long as tethering isn't included.

Tethering is a whole different ball game. Lets say you are working 8 hours a day at a cottage or something while tethering. It is not hard to imagine someone consuming 20-30 GB a month. There is no way AT&T will allow this. In Canada Rogers doesn't charge additional for tethering, but they cap your data at 6 GB which is more than enough for the average casual tethering user.

systimax

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2005
I have read through 12 pages of comments and havnt seen my question adressed.

My wife and I have the family talk plan. Both phones are in her name.

I have a BB she has a 3GS iphone.

She would like to upgrade to the new iPhone and I would like to replace my BB with a the new iPhone.

The idea is that I want her unlimited plan that she can grandfather and she wants the the $15 plan.

Is it possible once we have the phones to tell ATT to apply the grandfather plan to my number and the 15$ plan to her number?

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial

She would like to upgrade to the new iPhone and I would like to replace my BB with a the new iPhone.

The idea is that I want her unlimited plan that she can grandfather and she wants the the $15 plan.

Is it possible once we have the phones to tell ATT to apply the grandfather plan to my number and the 15$ plan to her number?

Thats a question only a call to your not to friendly ATT rep will answer.

I suspect the answer is no.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle

I don't think you can do that because the plans are probarly tied to the phone number. So after the 7th if you call them and do that the system will not allow them to do that. Because once something is removed that was grandfathered it's gone.

So i would suggest that you do it before the 7th and be careful about removing any feature from your account after the 7th to make sure you dont lose your data.

I work for AT&T over in the wireline department so while it's a different department than wireless. When we take grandfathered features off our CRM system will not allow it to be added back.

Knarl

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2010
I've read this whole thread, and now have my own variant of a popular question.

My wife and I are on a family share plan. Neither of us have smart phones, and therefore have no data plans right now. We both want iphones. I want unlimited data, she doesn't need more than the $15 200 MB plan. I want the iPhone 4, and she doesn't care whether hers is 3GS or 4. We are both eligible for a phone upgrade.

What I'm wondering is: Can I buy an iPhone 3GS right now with an unlimited data plan, and then when the iPhone 4 comes out, buy one for my wife with the 200 MB data plan, and then swap phones? So essentially, I would get her iPhone 4 with my unlimited data plan, and she would get my iPhone 3GS with her 200 MB data plan. We wouldn't swap plans, just phones (and sim cards, I assume).

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
I've read this whole thread, and now have my own variant of a popular question.

My wife and I are on a family share plan. Neither of us have smart phones, and therefore have no data plans right now. We both want iphones. I want unlimited data, she doesn't need more than the $15 200 MB plan. I want the iPhone 4, and she doesn't care whether hers is 3GS or 4. We are both eligible for a phone upgrade.

What I'm wondering is: Can I buy an iPhone 3GS right now with an unlimited data plan, and then when the iPhone 4 comes out, buy one for my wife with the 200 MB data plan, and then swap phones? So essentially, I would get her iPhone 4 with my unlimited data plan, and she would get my iPhone 3GS with her 200 MB data plan. We wouldn't swap plans, just phones (and sim cards, I assume).

Why not, just swap out the new micro-sim card in your wifes phone. Should be good to go.

Knarl

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2010
Why not, just swap out the new micro-sim card in your wifes phone. Should be good to go.

Do we know for sure if the iPhone 4 is going to use a micro-sim or a regular sim card?

If it does use micro-sim, would I be able to swap them out? Or would they not fit in each other's sim slots?

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
Do we know for sure if the iPhone 4 is going to use a micro-sim or a regular sim card?

If it does use micro-sim, would I be able to swap them out? Or would they not fit in each other's sim slots?

Nothings for sure yet, but all the new photos point to a microsim like the iPad. Correct me if I'm wrong
iono.gif

If you and your wife both get the new iPhone 4 it would be just as simple as a regular sim card swap.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Nothings for sure yet, but all the new photos point to a microsim like the iPad. Correct me if I'm wrong
iono.gif

If you and your wife both get the new iPhone 4 it would be just as simple as a regular sim card swap.

It is a totally different slot. It will not be a simple swap.

I went from a Razor:rolleyes: to an iPhone and upgaded twice, all the while using the same SIM.

I know it simply will not fit into the new phone.

I'm curious as to what the might come up with, but I'm betting your iTunes will do most of the work transferring your Data.

But who really knows

grumpyguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
as to the question of whether you can keep your unlimited plan and upgrade the new iPhone, take a look at this AT&T link:
http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...ncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB110282&isSrch=Yes

" Question:
I have a quick messaging phone on an unlimited data plan; can I keep my unlimited plan if I upgrade to a smartphone?
Answer:
Since you would be moving from a quick messaging phone to a smartphone, you would need to choose from one of our new smartphone data plans. Only smartphone to smartphone upgrades can stay on the current unlimited data plan. "

To that means if I want to upgrade from the my 3Gs to the new iPhone 4, I can keep my current unlimited plan

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
It is a totally different slot. It will not be a simple swap.

I went from a Razor:rolleyes: to an iPhone and upgaded twice, all the while using the same SIM.

I know it simply will not fit into the new phone.

I'm curious as to what the might come up with, but I'm betting your iTunes will do most of the work transferring your Data.

But who really knows

haha, my 3GS is using the SIM that I've had since my LG G4010 :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.