Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:18 AM   #126
iBlue
macrumors Core

I'm not a very "normal" girl. If I am carrying a bag at all it's almost always a camera bag containing a DSLR with a 28-135mm lens, polarizing filter and lens hood. Within my trusty bag's compartments there will be my oyster (travel) card, a little cash and or a credit card and my mobile phone, if it won't fit in my pocket comfortably. There may be chapstick and ibuprofen but that's about it.

It's funny I got into an argument with an airline customer service person who was trying to tell me that a camera bag isn't considered a "personal item", such as a purse/handbag. (then started telling me what is normal to carry in a handbag, which was hugely patronizing and stereotypical.) I replied: "So because I'm toting a camera instead of a bunch of make up and tampons you're going to discriminate against my choice of what I carry and how? This IS my handbag and it's going to be considered my personal item since I am carrying no others." He dropped the issue at that point. Knobend.

The bag of minor controversy:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraBag.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	290820

It's smaller than many women's ridiculously massive handbags nowadays anyway... presumably to accommodate their gigantic sunglasses and dying dreams.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:20 AM   #127
Yumunum
macrumors 65816

I carry the pain of the world.

And I carry it on my shoulders
Yumunum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:59 AM   #128
peapody
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwodubber View Post
I carry because I always have some pretty expensive equipment and travel from site to site, some are not so desirable. Also shooting is a hobby of mine for the past 10 years.

What a crazy mix of items!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:44 PM   #129
50voltphantom
macrumors regular

In my pockets today:
Motorola L7c (I know....)
Coach card case
Swiss Army Classic SD
iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB
iPod Classic 120 GB in Swiss Mobility case
Phillips SHE5910 earbuds
keys (not pictured)

50voltphantom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:50 PM   #130
zwodubber
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapody View Post
What a crazy mix of items!
LOL yep, thats why I love my job I get to do a lot of different things each day
zwodubber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:44 PM   #131
henry2
macrumors regular

i have a lady friend who say we man are carrying around our manpurse with us as we use bags to carry things around now days ..
henry2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:37 AM   #132
Devie
macrumors 6502

Work:

Pockets:
2x iPhone 4's (one mine one work)
Wallet
ID Card
Site Access cards
Screw Driver
Side Cutters
Pen
Sharpie
Electrical tape
Car keys, panel keys
iPod earbuds sometimes, depends on the job

Thats what I carry into every job before I start, then I'll get the tools I need, depending on the job I'll grab just what I need and pocket them or grab my drill and tool box. What I carry on site usually is enough for most things.

Not working:
Wallet, keyes, iPhone 4. Thats it. I don't know why a lot want to carry so much crap around lol. An iPhone, iPad and laptop and camera everywhere? Stuff that!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:18 AM   #133
zeroh3ro
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsdaname View Post
Phone: Motorola quantico.
Knife: Kershaw Skyline
Wallet: cheap walmart wallet.
Ipod: 32gb 4th gen

thats all I carry.... in my pockets...

Thumb resize.
Can you just carry knifes around?, in the UK if your caught with a knife your in big trouble..
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:29 AM   #134
SuperJudge
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroh3ro View Post
Can you just carry knifes around?, in the UK if your caught with a knife your in big trouble..
Where I come from (eastern/central North Carolina, USA), just about every man that I know (and quite a few women) carries a pocket knife with them everywhere. One of the reasons I hate flying is because I feel under prepared without a pocket knife. They're just so damned useful.

In a lot of US states, knives under a certain size (3" generally) do not count as weapons.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:34 AM   #135
zeroh3ro
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJudge View Post
Where I come from (eastern/central North Carolina, USA), just about every man that I know (and quite a few women) carries a pocket knife with them everywhere. One of the reasons I hate flying is because I feel under prepared without a pocket knife. They're just so damned useful.

In a lot of US states, knives under a certain size (3" generally) do not count as weapons.
Ah okay, yea in the UK were not alowed anything really, i had a small knife on me that i use at work, (i was even in work uniform) and i got a warning and they said if i wasn't in my uniform i would have been sectioned
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:29 PM   #136
vtran
macrumors member

I use the North Face Surge for school
Thumb resize.
(not my pic)

15'' Macbook Pro
Books
Ipod touch 1st gen
Headphones
Other stuff...

I also use a Ecote Canvas Rucksack from Urban Outfitters w/Mountainsmith Kit Cube to carry around my Nikon D90
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
vtran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:03 PM   #137
tjsdaname
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroh3ro View Post
Yes, I am 17 and have had a knife on me when ever I leave the house since I was 12.

every state has it's own laws on the size of the knife. but you can carry one in every state.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 06:28 PM   #138
zgh1999
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlue View Post
I'm not a very "normal" girl. If I am carrying a bag at all it's almost always a camera bag containing a DSLR with a 28-135mm lens, polarizing filter and lens hood. Within my trusty bag's compartments there will be my oyster (travel) card, a little cash and or a credit card and my mobile phone, if it won't fit in my pocket comfortably. There may be chapstick and ibuprofen but that's about it.

It's funny I got into an argument with an airline customer service person who was trying to tell me that a camera bag isn't considered a "personal item", such as a purse/handbag. (then started telling me what is normal to carry in a handbag, which was hugely patronizing and stereotypical.) I replied: "So because I'm toting a camera instead of a bunch of make up and tampons you're going to discriminate against my choice of what I carry and how? This IS my handbag and it's going to be considered my personal item since I am carrying no others." He dropped the issue at that point. Knobend.

The bag of minor controversy:

Attachment 290820

It's smaller than many women's ridiculously massive handbags nowadays anyway... presumably to accommodate their gigantic sunglasses and dying dreams.
But (1) how do you carry tampons; and (2) avoid getting mugged or knived in London with a camera bag?
zgh1999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 01:35 PM   #139
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsdaname View Post
Yes, I am 17 and have had a knife on me when ever I leave the house since I was 12.

every state has it's own laws on the size of the knife. but you can carry one in every state.
I got my first pocketknife when I was 8, but I was also taught how to use it (and how not to use it), how to sharpen it, take care of it, etc. Basically, it was always ingrained in me that it's a tool, not a toy.

The very thought that a government would consider a pocketknife a "weapon" is both funny and sad to me. They're roughly as dangerous as a pencil, IMO.

Curious, to all those who live in places where knives aren't allowed - are you allowed a knife in your home? How do you cut a piece of steak, or better yet, how do you prepare meals at home? Where, and why, is the line drawn between having a knife at home and carrying one on your person?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:54 AM   #140
ROGERWILCO357
macrumors 6502

I carry

I carry my H&K USP 40 on my hip..
ROGERWILCO357 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:39 AM   #141
ROGERWILCO357
macrumors 6502

what I carry

what I carry on my hip.

Last edited by ROGERWILCO357; Jun 27, 2011 at 02:40 AM. Reason: forgot the case
ROGERWILCO357 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:10 AM   #142
zeroh3ro
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
The very thought that a government would consider a pocketknife a "weapon" is both funny and sad to me. They're roughly as dangerous as a pencil, IMO.
We have an insane amount of knife crime here in the UK if it was leagal to have a knife on you i bet there would be a knife crime every day in the city i live in.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:30 AM   #143
peskaa
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post

Curious, to all those who live in places where knives aren't allowed - are you allowed a knife in your home? How do you cut a piece of steak, or better yet, how do you prepare meals at home? Where, and why, is the line drawn between having a knife at home and carrying one on your person?
A knife, no matter how small, can still kill - a quick stab to the carotid artery, in the eyes/ears, or even just into the stomach where it can rupture organs. Pencils don't quite have the same penetrating power, nor the ability to slash...

Banning them from being carried means that some people won't, reducing weapons on the streets. In the UK you can be 'done' for having a screwdriver or anything else that could be construed as dangerous, in your possession for no reason (ie: a kid loitering on a street corner at night, with a screwdriver in their pocket is probably not using it for DIY).

In regards to at home, of course you can have knives. I have a set of very expensive, incredibly sharp kitchen knives - but they don't leave my home, or go for trips in the car. So the line is drawn at the boundary of your house - take it outside and you're breaking the law (well, without reason - if you're going to be catering or something then it's fine, but a knife in isolation is a no). There is no reason to be carrying a knife in an urban setting 'just because' - we're not living off the land any more. You can probably have one in a toolkit with no problem however, such as a fishing tackle box.

http://www.bkcg.co.uk/guide/law.html
This is a pretty concise guide to UK law. 3.0" or less, folding, is allowed, but can still be construed as an offensive weapon in certain circumstances - so blithely carrying one all the time isn't a good idea. However if you're going camping, then it's fine. Other knife types are either banned, or can only be carried for your job/sport, and you can't take it everywhere.

Last edited by peskaa; Jun 27, 2011 at 05:03 AM.
peskaa is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:43 AM   #144
zeroh3ro
macrumors member

Yea i agree, compairing a knife to a pencil is just stupid. Its people that think like that who shouldn't own one.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 07:31 AM   #145
iWright
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlue View Post
I got into an argument with an airline customer service.
Out of interest, which Airline was it? BA didn't have a problem with me taking a camera bag and satchel.
iWright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:27 PM   #146
Streffert
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGERWILCO357 View Post
I carry my H&K USP 40 on my hip..
Ferrari of personal protection guns, I have one myself set up for a lefty.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:48 PM   #147
wovel
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzydot View Post
This is a genuine serious question here so please don't take offence as none is meant but why do so many of you carry guns with you?
I understand if you're in the police (do all american police carry guns?) but I guess from a UK perspective it just seems really weird to imagine joe bloggs walking down the road with a gun in his jacket.

As i said no offence meant I'm just curious.
While some do, most, but I am sure not all of the people in this thread claiming to do so are not telling the truth. First, Glock's marketshare would be abnormally represented here (it is high though, like 65%). The 48 states that do allow concealed hand guns (for non leo/civilians) 44 require a permit and most of them offer penalties if your concealed weapon an be seen by others.

I am not sure about other states, but unless they changed the wall recently anyone can walk down the street with visible guns in Texas, no permit required. It is somewhat odd since it is a violation to have your concealed weapon visible.

I don't have any statistics handy, but I do not believe licensed gun slingers commit very little crime. They also prevent very little crime. I recall a few notable accidental shootings. US gun statistics are about the most manipulated numbers in the world so it is hard to find actual data.
wovel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:20 AM   #148
ROGERWILCO357
macrumors 6502

yep

depends if you have the license to carry concealed you can and if it is registered you can carry as long as it is visible and not concealed ..check your local laws ....here in the states it is one of those rights to bear arms we so love and why not carry them bad guys do ...In the U.K what does the law state ? just curious.
ROGERWILCO357 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:35 AM   #149
peskaa
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGERWILCO357 View Post
depends if you have the license to carry concealed you can and if it is registered you can carry as long as it is visible and not concealed ..check your local laws ....here in the states it is one of those rights to bear arms we so love and why not carry them bad guys do ...In the U.K what does the law state ? just curious.
What does the UK law state? No guns.

Okay, that's a slight lie. Shotguns/single shot rifles are permitted under certain (tightly controlled) circumstances, such as for farmers, sportsmen and hunters. Joe Bloggs off the street certainly cannot just go and buy a gun. Packing a pistol will get you in rather a lot of trouble, and certainly jail time - handguns are banned. Basically, guns on the streets are illegal, and the only guns you'll see will be at shooting ranges, or intrinsically tied to a profession/sport that requires one.

Oh, or you may see some of the armed police at airports.

http://www.met.police.uk/firearms_licensing/faqs.html
peskaa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:44 AM   #150
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Every time I see a gun on this thread I think this guy was also carrying one.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery