Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 3, 2010, 02:31 PM   #1
ethan028
macrumors 6502a
 
ethan028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Tethering on unlimited data plan?

Is this possible?

All i saw was that you need the pro package but never mentioned anything about the unlimited.

Thanks

Ethan
ethan028 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan028 View Post
Is this possible?

All i saw was that you need the pro package but never mentioned anything about the unlimited.

Thanks

Ethan
Nope, you'll need to "downgrade" and pay more to tether.. lol

(or jailbreak and keep unlimited plan)
F123D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Dr Kevorkian94
macrumors 68020
 
Dr Kevorkian94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: # 12 Grimmauld Place
i pay 30$ for unlimited plus i think its 15$ for 1500 texts now and i dont use 2gigs so if i go to the 2gig plan for 20 dollars with my same text plan and tethering it comes out to 55$ opposed to 45$ so idk if its a good deal but what the heck. and if u use tethering does the data go towards ur plan (the 2gigs) or is that separate?
__________________
The Artfull Dodger
Dr Kevorkian94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 03:00 PM   #4
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
$25 - 2 GB plan
$20 - option to tether
____________________
$45 - for a 2GB plan with tethering

Yes, tethering data is from your 2GB plan. Go over and pay an additional $10 per GB.
F123D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:17 PM   #5
ethan028
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
ethan028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
So your saying i have to get rid of my unlimited data plan to get tethering?
ethan028 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:22 PM   #6
CJayC
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
No, he said you can jailbreak and get the tethering patch.
CJayC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:54 PM   #7
beamer8912
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan028 View Post
So your saying i have to get rid of my unlimited data plan to get tethering?
If you want to do it legitimately then yes. There is the option to jailbreak, but AT&T might start cracking down on jailbreak tethering.
beamer8912 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Nicksd84
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
That's the most frustrating part for me. I really don't mind the changes in the plan, but allowing current users to "keep" the unlimited plan without tethering is kind of a ploy. I know tethering is a big hog for data, but frustrating none the less.
Nicksd84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 07:20 AM   #9
Jonsan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
The pdaNet would not cost anything else because it's an illegal tethering program. So if Verizon catches you, you're screwed.. And there are plenty of horror stories out there about it happening to people.
__________________
anaheim weddings | Anaheim | banquet halls
Jonsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 07:29 AM   #10
iPhone3GCrazed
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kevorkian94 View Post
...and if u use tethering does the data go towards ur plan (the 2gigs) or is that separate?
The 2GB of data is shared between the phone and the computer you've tethered your phone to.
iPhone3GCrazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 07:32 AM   #11
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer8912 View Post
If you want to do it legitimately then yes. There is the option to jailbreak, but AT&T might start cracking down on jailbreak tethering.
Now that they'll be offering tethering, I'm guessing that they'll be looking to clamp down on people who tether but no pay the fee.

They have in the past changed/added the data package to people's iPhone, so I suspect folks who JB and do a lot of tether will suddenly find themselves with the 2GB data plan and a 20 dollar monthly charge for tethering.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 08:16 AM   #12
Bodhi395
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I don't see how ATT can charge people for tethering for very long, and think it will become free within the next few months. I've yet to hear any logical argument as to why someone should pay $20 a month for a hardware feature that has nothing to do with ATT's service. Its only about gouging customers and I think there's going to be a backlash that will force them to allow tethering for free.
__________________
VintageZen.com
Bodhi395 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 08:26 AM   #13
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040
 
Dwalls90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Just JB, use MyWi or some JB Tethering App, and keep unlimited. AT&T clearly doesn't know how, or care to tell if people are JBing and tethering.
__________________
rMBP 4850HQ & iPhone 6
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 08:44 AM   #14
tuna
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
For people who aren't jailbreaking, there is hope that AT&T will bring their Data Connect package to iPhone.

$60 for 5GB and tethering.

Actually not a terrible deal. Tethering from Verizon and Sprint is also a $30/month option top of the normal data package (which is also ~$30).
tuna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 08:52 AM   #15
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi395 View Post
I don't see how ATT can charge people for tethering for very long, and think it will become free within the next few months. I've yet to hear any logical argument as to why someone should pay $20 a month for a hardware feature that has nothing to do with ATT's service. Its only about gouging customers and I think there's going to be a backlash that will force them to allow tethering for free.
Logic has nothing to do with it. People who want it, will have to pay for it. I suspect that this pricing structure is set up so that it prevents the average user who just wants to play with it, to use it, i.e., only those who need it will be willing to pay for it. They don't want everyone to use tethering.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 09:02 AM   #16
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040
 
Dwalls90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna View Post
For people who aren't jailbreaking, there is hope that AT&T will bring their Data Connect package to iPhone.

$60 for 5GB and tethering.

Actually not a terrible deal. Tethering from Verizon and Sprint is also a $30/month option top of the normal data package (which is also ~$30).
Yes it is ... when you can get that for half the price with unlimited data.

I could NOT imagine doubling my data plan for something I feel I should have already ... 5Gb is hardly a lot when I already use over 3Gb consistently and cross over 5Gb quite often. Most people don't even know what tethering is and wouldn't use it, thus it SHOULD be a free feature tacked onto the already pricey data plan IMO.
__________________
rMBP 4850HQ & iPhone 6
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:01 AM   #17
Rodimus Prime
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Yes it is ... when you can get that for half the price with unlimited data.

I could NOT imagine doubling my data plan for something I feel I should have already ... 5Gb is hardly a lot when I already use over 3Gb consistently and cross over 5Gb quite often. Most people don't even know what tethering is and wouldn't use it, thus it SHOULD be a free feature tacked onto the already pricey data plan IMO.

Just figure I would point out that if you use 5 gigs of data it cost the carry around $30.

Anything over 5gigs cost them money.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:33 AM   #18
chargit
macrumors 6502a
 
chargit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Evansville, In
well I have been tethering my pc at work for several months. I just checked my data usage on AT&T.com and on my iPhone. I have not even used 2gig since I got my replacement 3gs in Feb. I have my phone streaming music off the internet pretty much from 10-5 every day. it is jb and I use the mywi app. I get and send tons of texts each day along with email. I dont go nuts with apps but I do have several. I dont see how you can go over 5gigs like you said. that is alot!!
__________________
iUnlock All Cell Phones
iClean Verizon ESN's
chargit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:31 PM   #19
rywat
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsan View Post
The pdaNet would not cost anything else because it's an illegal tethering program. So if Verizon catches you, you're screwed.. And there are plenty of horror stories out there about it happening to people.
Wait, what law is being broken by using pdanet or tethering? I think the word you're looking for is "unauthorized". Also, what does that have to do with Verizon?
__________________
iPhone 4 16gb, iPhone 3gs 16gb

Last edited by rywat; Jun 4, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
rywat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 02:39 PM   #20
Maverick1337
macrumors 65816
 
Maverick1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer8912 View Post
If you want to do it legitimately then yes. There is the option to jailbreak, but AT&T might start cracking down on jailbreak tethering.
Yeah I'll believe that when I see it. AT&T won't crack down on anything. There was a thread 1-2 days ago where a couple was using their phone's internet for tethering and running upwards of 10-100 Gigs of data per month. Let me know when AT&T starts cracking down on stuff like that. You would think if any employee saw that from an iPhone, they would be a little suspiscious.
Maverick1337 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 01:35 PM   #21
kevink2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I finally got around to trying to jailbreak my 3G this week, with the intent of occasional tethering my new iPad. First attempt failed, no cellular service, but my second attempt with another program worked.

I'm hoping that a combination of the $15 data plan for my iPad, WiFi, and tethering at lunch at work (when I can plug my phone in) will suffice.

I'll see. It seems that the iPad uses more data, probably because some sites treat the iPhone different.

If it turns out that I want to consistently use more than 2GB on my iPad, I have made a mistake in not signing up for the unlimited iPad plan when I had time
kevink2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
International Messaging Unlimited Showing on my AT&T Unlimited Data Plan JonathanK81 iPhone 9 Apr 1, 2014 03:16 AM
T-Mobile Tethering iPhone 4 on unlimited plan iPhonesandMacs iPhone 5 May 19, 2013 09:38 AM
Has anyone on AT&T given up their unlimited data plan for the $50/5gb tethering plan? Big.Mac.Daddy iPhone 48 Sep 1, 2012 05:02 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC