Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Zcott
macrumors 68020

3 Uk Apn?

I just signed up to 3 and registered my SIM, but when I go into the APN settings, it's blank. Anyone on 3 tell me what the iPad APN is?
Zcott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:27 AM   #2
DenniZ
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcott View Post
I just signed up to 3 and registered my SIM, but when I go into the APN settings, it's blank. Anyone on 3 tell me what the iPad APN is?
Try:
3internet or three.co.uk

Before you commit to 12 months, bear in mind that 3 do a pay as you go sim , with 12GB preloaded, valid for 12 months, hence you have 1 year to use the 12gb. All for 35 on ebay, you just need to cut down the sim.

Also check if you got the 3G symbol next to the 3 carrier name. (Turn off wifi if that shows).
DenniZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Got a Three microSIM in my iPad, and it's working fine with all those fields left blank.
Seamaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Sebby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
Before you commit to 12 months, bear in mind that 3 do a pay as you go sim , with 12GB preloaded, valid for 12 months, hence you have 1 year to use the 12gb. All for 35 on ebay, you just need to cut down the sim.
Wow, that's a great deal. That must be just about the best value out there for most people.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:20 AM   #5
colmaclean
macrumors 68000

I was told by their tech support to use 3internet as the APN.

However I've now removed this and the connection still works fine.
colmaclean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:33 AM   #6
Zcott
macrumors 68020

3internet works fine; just had to do a power cycle and all is well :-)
Zcott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:40 AM   #7
chrisduk112
macrumors newbie

Hi

I bough a ipad on release on O2-UK pay as u go. but now want to move to 3, I got their micro-sim and registered it. I switch of my ipad, insert micro sim and connect to itunes which auto powers it up. I assumed it may install a network update through itunes but it seems three do not have this setup with apple.

I have no APN settings, i tried using 3 internet with a reboot but still my internet does not work on 3.

Any other ideas?

Macbook Pro 15" 8GB Ram 256GB SSD | IPhone 4s 32GB | IPAD 3 4G 16GB
chrisduk112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:44 AM   #8
DenniZ
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisduk112 View Post
Hi

I bough a ipad on release on O2-UK pay as u go. but now want to move to 3, I got their micro-sim and registered it. I switch of my ipad, insert micro sim and connect to itunes which auto powers it up. I assumed it may install a network update through itunes but it seems three do not have this setup with apple.

I have no APN settings, i tried using 3 internet with a reboot but still my internet does not work on 3.

Any other ideas?
Hmm, I don't think it's registered on the three network, do you get a '3G' symbol next to the signal strength ?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:47 AM   #9
chrisduk112
macrumors newbie

it just shows full signal and says 3. however if i go to manual roam it shows

3 (3G)

if i lock it to use 3G only it still does not say 3G but has a tick next to 3G on the network choice screen.

I have a USB dongle on 3 which shows full 3G signal.

Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:51 AM   #10
chrisduk112
macrumors newbie

see attached screen shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.PNG
Views:	209
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	229375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.PNG
Views:	331
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	229376  

Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:53 AM   #11
DisneySMAX
macrumors member

APN = three.co.uk

Username and passwor leave blank.

That works fine on mine. The 3G did not show up until I changed the APN (which was blank after changing the o2 card to a 3 one)
DisneySMAX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:56 AM   #12
DenniZ
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
it just shows full signal and says 3. however if i go to manual roam it shows

3 (3G)

if i lock it to use 3G only it still does not say 3G but has a tick next to 3G on the network choice screen.

I have a USB dongle on 3 which shows full 3G signal.
I'd leave the network selection to automatic, just for ease, looks like something has gone wrong at their end, as you should be getting a 3G symbol next to the '3' carrier name.

To be honest, I'd recommend you getting a 3 12GB bundle sim card of ebay. 12GB to be used how you like within 12 months, 35, which is cheaper than any plan, for the same period or data.

Can always sabotage the three dongle you have. Or if you need that one, you can get a new dongle with preloaded 12GB sim for 80.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 07:12 AM   #13
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Now want to move to 3, I got their micro-sim and registered it.
When did you register it? It can take up to 24 hours to activate (Three say up to 3 hours is typical). When it does "3G" appears alongside the bars in the signal strength display.

You shouldn't have to change any settings at all. I didn't. I was activated in under half an hour.

If it's been longer than 24 hours, call Three.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 07:21 AM   #14
chrisduk112
macrumors newbie

thanks guys I'll put my o2 one back in for a day and try 3 tomorrow.

has anyone seen this webcam for ipad http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...era-this-year/ a bit mad! it should of had one built in

Old Jun 7, 2010, 07:51 AM   #15
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
When did you register it? It can take up to 24 hours to activate (Three say up to 3 hours is typical). When it does "3G" appears alongside the bars in the signal strength display.
To be clear, I should have added "...when not connected to wifi".
Old Jun 7, 2010, 07:57 AM   #16
johnrs
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Try:
3internet or three.co.uk

Also check if you got the 3G symbol next to the 3 carrier name. (Turn off wifi if that shows).
I got a 3GB/3Month Three sim from ebay, cut it down to size and it worked a treat. Used it all weekend in London with no problem. Did not have to enter anything for the APN and left them blank.

when on the three network I went to three.co.uk/my3 and it automatically logs me in so I can see my usage/balance.

will be getting another one while I can as they are a bargin

iPhone 4 16gb
iPad 2 3G 16gb
johnrs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 08:04 AM   #17
Streethawk
macrumors 6502

Must point out, APN 3internet seems to make no difference to leaving the APN blank.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 05:03 PM   #18
fafster
macrumors newbie

A Reset worked for me..

Hello,
I had the common "could not activate mobile data network" message but when I tried resetting the iPad3 the icon in the top right hand corner changed to 3G and I could then connect to the internet. I reset the iPad3 by pressing and holding both the "Power" and the "Home" buttons until the apple logo appeared.
Please note that I have a new iPad - I do not know if resetting the iPad makes you lose data or applications. Hope this helps.

PS I'm on 3 network, APN name is 3internet, APN username and password are blank. WiFi switched to off position.
fafster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 05:57 AM   #19
dchao
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I tried eBay.co.uk and could not find any 12GB SIM for less than 60. Can you provide a link please?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrs View Post
I got a 3GB/3Month Three sim from ebay, cut it down to size and it worked a treat. Used it all weekend in London with no problem.
Can you tell me if "Personal Hotspot" is disabled on your prepaid Three SIM card?

I could not see this option form the screen shots above.

And according to Three's web site. They only support tethering if you have a monthly rolling contract with them. Is that correct?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:09 PM   #20
DKatri
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
I tried eBay.co.uk and could not find any 12GB SIM for less than 60. Can you provide a link please?

----------

Can you tell me if "Personal Hotspot" is disabled on your prepaid Three SIM card?

I could not see this option form the screen shots above.

And according to Three's web site. They only support tethering if you have a monthly rolling contract with them. Is that correct?
This thread is 2 years old so its likely that they don't offer the 12GB sim any more.

Also i'm not sure that personal hotspot was available when this thread was made. From what I know on the iPhone only their "One plan" has tethering but no other ones do.
I'd hope that they let you use prepaid data how you like but I know that most carriers are a bit shady with limiting hotspot use.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 01:29 PM   #21
dchao
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKatri View Post
This thread is 2 years old so its likely that they don't offer the 12GB sim any more.
The poster above me dug the thread up from the grave, I didn't realize that, sorry. 12GB 12 month now is 70. In two years and 100% increase.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 05:22 PM   #22
DKatri
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
The poster above me dug the thread up from the grave, I didn't realize that, sorry. 12GB 12 month now is 70. In two years and 100% increase.
I guess they realised that people actually wanted SIMs with lots of data on. The best they do now is the 20 SIM with 3GB for 3 months. Its a pre paid SIM that you can top up as well so IMO better than taking out a contract.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad