Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 6, 2010, 02:58 PM   #1
exe163
macrumors regular

Notepad equivalent on a Mac?

I a new to mac. I am trying to open a ".config" file but I get this error message: "There is no default application specified to open the document xxxx". Normally, on a Windows, I would just force open it with notepad as it conly contain text. How do I do the same with a Mac?
exe163 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 03:00 PM   #2
lewis82
macrumors 68000

Try changing the extension to .txt or to .rtf. This way you can open it with Textedit.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 03:15 PM   #3
spinnerlys

spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 03:17 PM   #4
DewGuy1999
macrumors 68040

Click the file once so it's highlighted, and either press Command + I or go to the File menu and select Get Info. From the Get Info window, below the Open With pop-down list choose, TextEdit. Below Use this application to open all documents like this. click Change All...
Old Jun 6, 2010, 06:15 PM   #5
miles01110
macrumors 604

You shouldn't have to change the extension to open it with Textedit. If it's a config file you shouldn't do that anyways.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:05 PM   #6
exe163
macrumors regular

Thanks, I got it open by using Textedit without changing extensions.

I have few more questions:

With the search on the upper right corner, after I find my filed, how do I get it to show up at the location the file is in? I can't even right click the file.

Is there a "My computer" for Mac? The finder feels like just a regular windows, especially sometimes it won't even show all my drives. I have to close all finders and restart it.
exe163 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:08 PM   #7
spinnerlys

Quote:
Originally Posted by exe163 View Post
Thanks, I got it open by using Textedit without changing extensions.

I have few more questions:

With the search on the upper right corner, after I find my filed, how do I get it to show up at the location the file is in? I can't even right click the file.
Select the file and press CMD+ENTER to open up a Finder window with the folder the file resides in.

Quote:
Is there a "My computer" for Mac? The finder feels like just a regular windows, especially sometimes it won't even show all my drives. I have to close all finders and restart it.
Finder is "like" Windows Explorer, several Finder windows are just windows, not Finders.

Have a look at the Preferences in Finder and see what it says UNDER GENERAL AND SIDEBAR.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows
Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X
Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X
Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks
Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.
Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints
Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more
MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store