Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:49 AM   #1
iphone529
macrumors regular

Screen protector necessary iPhone 4???

So with the new material used for the screen. Is in necessary for a screen protector?

"All the breakthrough technology in iPhone 4 is situated between two glossy panels of aluminosilicate glass — the same type of glass used in the windshields of helicopters and high-speed trains. Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, the glass is ultradurable and more scratch resistant than ever. It’s also recyclable."
Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:51 AM   #2
ngenerator
macrumors 68000

Regardless, I can't stand Apple's glossy screens. I'll be hoping for a Power Support Anti Glare film for the front and back shortly after the launch
Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Gav2k
macrumors 601

I've never used a screen protector and never suffered with a scratched screen. Some forget it's glass not plastic. Providing you don't pocket it with your keys your going to be fine.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:57 AM   #4
iphone529
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngenerator View Post
Regardless, I can't stand Apple's glossy screens. I'll be hoping for a Power Support Anti Glare film for the front and back shortly after the launch
They did say that the screen has anti glare built in also.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Cod3rror
macrumors 68000

I would, don't really care about the outer casing but the screen is important.

Just put it on and rest easy.
Cod3rror is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:59 AM   #6
ngenerator
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone529 View Post
"All the breakthrough technology in iPhone 4 is situated between two glossy panels of aluminosilicate glass
Quote:
They did say that the screen has anti glare built in also.
When it comes to , I'm not holding my breath. I saw the fingerprint magnet that is the black iPhone4 on the engadget gallery It was pretty gross.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:47 AM   #7
thep33t
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
I've never used a screen protector and never suffered with a scratched screen. Some forget it's glass not plastic. Providing you don't pocket it with your keys your going to be fine.
but what if I DO?
thep33t is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Ice-Cube
macrumors 6502a

Just get one and put it on anyway...why take the chance? And its not like its expensive to buy one too.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:47 AM   #9
saccento
macrumors 6502a

I'll be getting one, better safe than sorry.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:48 AM   #10
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Every time Apple releases an iPhone they go on about how scratch resistant the screen is. This is followed by people on this board saying they won't need a screen protector.

Then someone does the impossible and scratches the screen from normal use and then others will say, "why didn't you get a screen protector".
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:49 AM   #11
itsjared
macrumors regular

I saw those pics on Engadget too. They look pretty filthy. Not attractive at all. You'll prolly need a bottle of windex with you at all times with the new phone.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:50 AM   #12
djransom
macrumors 68040

Zagg has already announced the invisibleshield for the iPhone 4 http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php
As soon as Best Buy gets them in stock I will pick up one and have them install it as they did with my 3GS.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:03 AM   #13
roland.g
macrumors 603

I have always been a fan of Bestskinsever.com and have their skins on my original iPhone, iPhone 3G, aluminum MacBook and iPad. But I always bought the back only skin as I never put those skins on my screen. They have a great tacky grip to them but I don't like that on my screen. In the past I used a PowerSupport Crystal Film on my iPhone and iPhone 3G, but then took it off the 3G because what I realized was that the screen is extremely scratch resistant. My phone goes in my pocket, no case, skin on the back only and looks brand new 2 years later. I'd get some resale if the 8GB 3GS wasn't so cheap. I don't think you will need a film for the front or back glass and I certainly wouldn't put an InvisibileShield or any other tacky grip 3M skin on the glass given how clear the Retina display is suppose to be. Anti-Glare and other screen protectors and screens are known to cause fuzzyness and lose optical quality as a trade off to protection and glare reduction. Considering that the new glass front and back on the iPhone 4 is suppose to be even better engineered, I think this phone was truly designed to be a naked use phone. Even Apple's bumper cases look like they are aimed soley at providing some drop protection to the clumsy hearted.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:28 AM   #14
bassjunky
macrumors member

As of a couple months ago I removed the screen protector from my 3GS. It's so much prettier. I understand the nervousness people have about scratching their screens, but it is truly a durable screen that takes some effort to mess up. I also feel it almost takes away from the beauty of the iPhone when you put rather unnecessary protectors and cases on it.

I'll probably go naked on the iPhone 4, too. It just looks so much cooler when you do
bassjunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:36 AM   #15
cornelius1
macrumors member

I guess people forget that iPhone 4's glass is not the same as the one on 3GS, that is:

Quote:
"All the breakthrough technology in iPhone 4 is situated between two glossy panels of aluminosilicate glass — the same type of glass used in the windshields of helicopters and high-speed trains. Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, the glass is ultradurable and more scratch resistant than ever. It’s also recyclable."
We'll most likely see some iPhone 4 torture test videos after it's released. So, you can all decide after watching those.
cornelius1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:37 AM   #16
calderone
macrumors 68040

Probably not, but I just got a free Zagg Full Body easy install! It will probably go on my fiancée's iPhone 4. I like mine naked.

Just happened to see the coupon on twitter!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:41 AM   #17
davyreins
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjunky View Post
As of a couple months ago I removed the screen protector from my 3GS. It's so much prettier. I understand the nervousness people have about scratching their screens, but it is truly a durable screen that takes some effort to mess up. I also feel it almost takes away from the beauty of the iPhone when you put rather unnecessary protectors and cases on it.

I'll probably go naked on the iPhone 4, too. It just looks so much cooler when you do
Agreed. I've tried a few different cases (including the invisible shield) and I much prefer to not have one. I haven't had any problems with scratches on the screen and sometimes cases will actually scratch the back if you forget to clean out the dust.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:42 AM   #18
Googlyhead
macrumors regular

Personally; yes. May as well.
If the clarity is a concern; I've found the powersupport crystal to be near identical to the original glass; if it wasn't for the fine line marking the edge, you wouldn't know it's there. Came in a pack of 2; the other an anti-glare. But I have to say I have no problem using a phone with a non-matt screen - it's not like you can't adjust the relative position easily!
Googlyhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:44 AM   #19
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000

I'm ordering the invisible shield today. I may or may not get a bumper case depending if I like that as well.

I like how the iPhone looks naked, and the invisible shield should do the trick.. Hope I don't drop it.. Haven't dropped my 3G or my 3GS in 2 years.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:46 AM   #20
kas23
macrumors 603

For those of you concerned about fingerprints, consider getting the white because it won't show them as much.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:06 PM   #21
Googlyhead
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlrollin91 View Post
I'm ordering the invisible shield today. I may or may not get a bumper case depending if I like that as well.

I like how the iPhone looks naked, and the invisible shield should do the trick.. Hope I don't drop it.. Haven't dropped my 3G or my 3GS in 2 years.
That's one particular advantage of the new iPhone; flat surfaces!
I tried 3 different stick-on skin protectors for my 3G, and all tended to peel at the curves, and catch grime in the many cuts and joins; the moulded PowerSupport part suits me better due to this, but it's noticeably more like a case than a film (b'cos it is!)

I've always had a white iPhone, and I must admit fingerprints haven't been a concern on the back... Can be annoying on the screen tho.
Googlyhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:14 PM   #22
stevetim
macrumors 6502a

If you get a case that covers ANY amount of the glass, which is the front and back of the phone now, you will want a screen protector. I use a countour case on my 3Gs, and it can get stuff stuck between the glass and the case. This has cause a couple tiny pockmarks on my glass around the home button. The usable screen is still perfect without a protector after 14 months, so in general, yes, the glass is very scratch resistant.
stevetim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:16 PM   #23
GermanSuplex
macrumors 6502a

I didn't use a case for the first-gen iPhone, never had a scratch on the front or back.

I have used a silicon case for both my 3G and 3GS with no screen protector. 21 months after buying my 3G, the screen was flawless. 3 months after buying my 3GS, the screen is flawless.

I'll probably buy one of Apple's Bumper's for the 4G, but do without any screen protection, I've never needed it.
GermanSuplex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:22 PM   #24
CD3660
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by calderone View Post
Probably not, but I just got a free Zagg Full Body easy install! It will probably go on my fiancée's iPhone 4. I like mine naked.

Just happened to see the coupon on twitter!
Could you share the details?
iPhone 6
CD3660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:40 PM   #25
Omni1123
macrumors newbie

FYI: The new screen(front and back) has an anti-smudge coating... it's thin, but it's not glass. This material will scratch before the glass does.
Omni1123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories