Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imback

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
I'm about to have my first apple experince. Ive ordered the G5 17" 1.8 from apple.com

I read that you get ivideo, i music, garage band etc included. What other sooftware do you get though? word processor,power point etc?

Cheers

imback

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Yea, sorry I should have said imac - told you I was new :D

Thanks for the link. But it dooesnt give details of word processor etc. :confused:

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
It sounds like the iMac comes with Appleworks, Apple's word processor. I don't know how to directly link to the Apple Store, so just search for Appleworks.

You can also pick up Microsoft Office for Mac ($150 / student, $400 otherwise), OpenOffice (free) or any number of other word processors.

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Software:
iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand), AppleWorks, Quicken 2004 for Mac, World Book 2004 Edition, Nanosaur 2, Marble Blast Gold, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive and Apple Hardware Test

From apple.com/imac's tech specs page...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
All macs also come with Textedit, which offers basic word processing that might be plenty for your needs. It can even open MS word documents.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
The iMac G5 comes with AppleWorks, which is a bit overdue for an upgrade, but still works for most people. It allows for word processing, and also lets you create spreadsheets, presentations, and databases.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Your iMac will come well-equipped. There isn't that much more you have to buy yourself, it just depends on what you do. I recommend Office (but I could only afford it because I am a student) and Photoshop Elements 2.0 for a cheap image-editing solution based on the industry standard Photoshop.

imback

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Cheers johnny. I'll definitely need Office for powerpoint. The Mrs is a student doing her PGCE so I'm sure that she will qualify for the discount.

If I make a powerpoint presentation on mac and save it, will it run on an ordinary laptop?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
imback said:
Cheers johnny. I'll definitely need Office for powerpoint. The Mrs is a student doing her PGCE so I'm sure that she will qualify for the discount.

If I make a powerpoint presentation on mac and save it, will it run on an ordinary laptop?
Yes it will, because the Mac and PC versions use the same file formats. However, generally try to display it on a Mac (or test out on a PC before the presentation) because the Mac version has much better effects and stuff, like cube transitions and cross dissolves. My experience is that someone else's PC doesn't always have the fonts that you used and the presentation ends up running with Arial all over it.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
imback said:

Be sure to use a font that is common in Windows, like Times New Roman (not Times), Arial, Courier New (not Courier).. You should probably check a pc and write down the standard fonts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.