Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:31 PM   #1
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
GPS Navigation for iPhone 4

I've been browsing and searching the web the past couple of days and haven't heard anything really regarding gps navigation for the new iPhone. I'm assuming it's the same maps app as before. With Navigon regional apps on sale right now, would it be wise to purchase or should we expect anything coming to the iPhone in the near future? Google maps navigation for example..
F123D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:33 PM   #2
stridemat

There have been no rumours to suggest either way. Sorry I can't help you any further.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Pennine
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
I've been browsing and searching the web the past couple of days and haven't heard anything really regarding gps navigation for the new iPhone. I'm assuming it's the same maps app as before. With Navigon regional apps on sale right now, would it be wise to purchase or should we expect anything coming to the iPhone in the near future? Google maps navigation for example..
I think TomTom are updating theirs for ios4 so it can run in the background
Shuffle
Pennine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:36 PM   #4
STEVESKI07
macrumors 68000

I think if Apple were to introduce their own turn by turn GPS then it would have been anounced as one of their main changes. I don't see anything like this in the near future. I started a thread about a week ago about the Navigon Regional maps as well. Here's a link that may provide a little info for you:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...hlight=navigon

My only problem is I'm worried they won't update the app to 4.0 so it is able to run in the background. Either that or they will require us to pay again for the upgrade. Any thoughts on this? The sale lasts 3 more days.
STEVESKI07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 03:23 PM   #5
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
I've been searching and so far have found nothing that would show anything different regarding navigation on the new iPhone. Can't find anything regarding google navigation either (I feel like a Verizon customer trying to find something about the iPhone coming to their network.. lol). At this point, with the good reviews and the price drop, I'll probably just pick up the Navigon app tomorrow.
F123D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Krevnik
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennine View Post
I think TomTom are updating theirs for ios4 so it can run in the background
Let's hope so... right now it crashes pretty reliably on the iOS 4 GM. Looks like some change broke how they were using some API and it crashes as a result now.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:52 PM   #7
ChrisFig
macrumors newbie

As a current owner of a 3GS and the TomTom app, if I upgrade to the iPhone 4, I will be able to re-download the TomTom app to my new phone with no issues right?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:11 PM   #8
Krevnik
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFig View Post
As a current owner of a 3GS and the TomTom app, if I upgrade to the iPhone 4, I will be able to re-download the TomTom app to my new phone with no issues right?
Make sure you restore from a backup when you get the 4... it will restore your favorites/etc you set on the 3GS.

There are some bugs as well with the Traffic app, since it won't migrate your account<->phone information unless you restore from a backup.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:09 AM   #9
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Navigon is a Wise choice.

Regardless the cost
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:48 AM   #10
waznuf
macrumors newbie

TUAW showcased a free application called Skobbler
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id370144231?mt=8

it features turn-by-turn navigation WITH voice-assist! (night-mode also!). It uses the open maps system and its reallly nice and best of all...its free!
waznuf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:59 PM   #11
fhall1
macrumors 68020

Some people seem to like Waze better than Skobbler....I haven't tried Waze yet, so I don't have an opinion. Tried Skobbler once and it was "OK"....worth what I paid anyway on the one route I tried it on.
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:09 PM   #12
cvanlind
macrumors newbie

Navigon iPhone 4 issues

I am having problems getting my Navigon to work properly on the new iPhone. The GPS is unable to locate, etc. I installed via "restore" from 3GS data. Anyone else had this?
cvanlind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:48 PM   #13
jutte64
macrumors regular

i had the tomtom app on my 3g worked great. put it on my i4 when i got it and the update came out a day or two later, before i had a chance to use it, have used it several times on the i4 and it works great! someone calls or text you and you leave the app it still gives you all the voice commands as if your still in the app it is great!
jutte64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:54 PM   #14
Gilly Gil
macrumors regular

I've been using waze. i really like it. Easy to use and free.
Gilly Gil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:02 PM   #15
jutte64
macrumors regular

i had the tomtom app on my 3g worked great. put it on my i4 when i got it and the update came out a day or two later, before i had a chance to use it, have used it several times on the i4 and it works great! someone calls or text you and you leave the app it still gives you all the voice commands as if your still in the app it is great!
jutte64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:16 PM   #16
a.jfred
macrumors 6502

I tried "Waze" out last night, using my usual route home. It was cute, but I have a few of "issues" with it:

1) Route Home was mostly right - it didn't offer me the chance to use side streets & avoid making a left turn (during rush hour traffic) off a major thoroughfare, though.

2) I'm not always able to look directly at the GPS, so the voice directions are kinda nice. That said "bear left" and "bear right" do NOT tell me if I need to get on or off the freeway. If I didn't already know where I was going, I would have completely missed the entrances & exits I needed to take.

3) "In 1/2 mile...." Thanks for the warning, but if I'm stuck in the far lane from where I need to exit, 1/2 mile may not be enough time to get over, depending on traffic.

4) Not once did it mention street names. This ties into point #2.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad for a *free* app, but I'm not sure I'd rely on it exclusively.
a.jfred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:49 AM   #17
Mav2u
macrumors newbie

I can't believe no one has mentioned CoPilot Live USA. You can try it out for a month for free. It has text to speech. Very detailed mapping on the iPhone 4 now.

And it is better than the TomTom and Navigon. Best part! It's only $4.99 and to add the Speech for street names is only $2.99 or you can just use the "turn ahead in 500ft" talk that it does.

I've never liked TomTom, I bought and tried the Navigon but the maps and the way it works is horrible. The CoPilot worked the best and had the best display for reading streets and names on the display.

I would say try the free trial of CoPilot, you'll like it and buy it!
Mav2u is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps