Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
http://appshopper.com/navigation/navigon-myregion-us-east

I noticed that Navigon has dropped the price of the MyRegion software down 50%. This would be a great deal for me since I live in DC and the only places I ever drive would be in the East region anyways. If I were traveling to the other side of the country, I would be flying.

The problem is I heard that Navigon's terms are worded strange and that updates may not be free. I'm thinking about picking this up now in hopes of them updating it to 4.0 for free, but maybe they will not do that and maybe that's why they dropped the price 50% anyways. Any thoughts on this?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Good question. I’m also curious what features are missing from the MyRegion versions.

The only one I know of so far is Panorama view. The full Navigon app offers that (a paid option) but MyRegion apparently does not.

What else is missing? (Pther than wider-area coverage, obviously.) I’m really close to buying one of these MyRegions.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I'm really interested in this app as well but will wait until the 7th to see what the new iphone has as far as navigation goes.. I'll make my decision after that. Good thing we have to the 11th to purchase navigon for the sale price.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This PR suggests that MyRegion should have the same features—and future updates—as Mobile Navigator (the full iPhone product):

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=24844140

I don’t see any indication of future update costs (although maybe new map data would occasionally be an optional expense).

Maybe I heard wrong, and Panorama is available in MyRegion. Or coming along later? But that specific feature is not a big deal to me—it’s extra-cost and I probably wouldn’t get it. (Looks neat, but runs slower—at least on some hardware.)

Unless someone pipes up that MyRegion is missing something I care about, I’m buying it over the weekend!

$15 for a full-scale GPS (which I already have a mount and car charger for) is not to be passed up :)

I'm really interested in this app as well but will wait until the 7th to see what the new iphone has as far as navigation goes.. I'll make my decision after that. Good thing we have to the 11th to purchase navigon for the sale price.

Hardware-wise: faster processor and higher-res screen (which MyRegion would probably need to be updated for—but it would look as good as always until then).

Software-wise: some little updates to the Maps/compass functionality are to be expected with OS 4.0, but I don’t expect it to have the two key features of Navigon:

1. Gigabytes of map data pre-stored on the phone, so you can navigate even when there’s no cell coverage. (This is the failing of Google’s Android navigation: it relies on the Internet.)

2. Turn-by-turn voice guidance. Third parties do that well, so I doubt Apple would try to step in. Maps will remain just that: an awesome map that knows where you are.

But I’d sure love if Navigon could (optionally) stream Google’s satellite photo imagery as an “underlay” for the pre-stored map: that detail would only appear when you had a cell connection, but it would be nice to have! (And optionally it could be faded halfway back, so as not to be too visually distracting.) I like being able to see buildings, neighborhoods, etc. as they really are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.