Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple set to begin taking pre-orders for the iPhone 4 in a handful of countries tomorrow, including the United States, the company's retail partners are also beginning to firm up their plans. Last Friday, we noted that Wal-Mart was gearing up to offer the new iPhone at launch, following news earlier in the week that RadioShack would begin taking pre-orders on the 15th for a June 24th launch as well.

Electronics chain Best Buy had been rumored to be preparing its plans for launch, and today confirmed that it too will be taking pre-orders beginning tomorrow.
Beginning June 15, Best Buy Mobile, the mobile specialty retail unit of Best Buy Co. Inc (NYSE: BBY), launches its pre-sale of iPhone 4 from Apple. Pre-sale orders can be placed at any Best Buy or Best Buy Mobile standalone store nationwide. The iPhone 4 will land in Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile stores June 24.
Apple's U.S. carrier partner, AT&T, has also been working to get ready for launch day, with employees set to debut new company T-shirts for the event and the company has also put together a video providing information on upgrade pricing policies and data plans for the new iPhone.

The company is also planning to open its retail stores at 7:00 AM on the launch day of June 24th and is offering rebate credits or handset upgrades for those customers who purchased an iPhone 3GS in the month before iPhone 4's announcement.

Article Link: Best Buy and AT&T Prep for U.S. iPhone 4 Launch

Mercaptan

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
The guy's hair is awesome. Though I've noticed that I don't see any statements about "standard upgrade pricing" on my *639# message.

Still good for AT&T for releasing this video.

dusters711

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Love how there was no mention of "early upgrade" in the video... Apparently AT&T even confused themselves with this one! :eek:

macfanjoe

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
pre-order by mail track record?

What is Apple's track record of mailing pre-ordered iPhone's? Will mine likely arrive on the 24th?

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
Uh-Oh... It's seth the blogger guy again...
His eyes are really odd - He stares straight at the screen for some reason?

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wonder if Walmart will sell these at 12:01am on the 24th?

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
AT&T prepares to the launch by lowering the coverage and signal quality. They also limit calls to 2min 30sec and then drop the connection so that everyone gets a chance to call. In addition the make customer info publicly available to make it easier to contact people.

Oh wait, they do that anyway all the time..........

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
AT&T opens at 7AM I believe and this should calm people down on the data plans. If an AT&T rep tries to pull a fast one, bring up this video and that should shut them up. Otherwise, ask for the manager.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
What is Apple's track record of mailing pre-ordered iPhone's? Will mine likely arrive on the 24th?

Apple has been very good at delivering on the day of availability. So almost always from Apple's standpoint. If there is ever a problem, it usually has to do with the carrier, but even that is very seldom.

You should almost certainly get it on the 24th if you order June 15. If you wait longer than that, you run the risk of them running out of stock for the first shipments.

Tony

pjjames1

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
All this upgrade eligibility stuff is so confusing...it's a truely overwhelming/nail biting experience for us early adopters. I figured I'd shed some light/my plan for the 15th-24th of June.

The plan that I am currently on is a family plan with four phones. 3 iPhones and 1 Blackberry Bold. I am somehow the primary on the account, even though I didn't open the account nor is it in my name. I am eligible for the upgrade because my bill is $246.00 a month and the others only cost $30. Basically, the breakdown shows me paying for shared minutes and unlimited texts and theirs paying data plans. Funny enough, the person with the Blackberry (whom moronically swapped from an iPhone 3GS in March of this year, signed a new 2-year contract, and now wants the iPhone 4) is eligible for the $399/$499 price point. This is odd because he JUST signed a new contact, he should be getting it for full price I would think. One of the lines we have isn't in use and the contract is up in July, we plan on shutting it down. Our third line isn't eligible for any upgrades, they bought their 3GS in September last year with a new 2-year contract. Next week, I plan on opening a new line on my companies AT&T iPhone account and getting a new phone number obviously with the subsidized price point. In which case someone on my account is able to take MY upgrade. Now, last year when the 3GS came out, we were in the same position, so here is what I did. When pre-orders began, I immediately ordered a 16GB 3GS from Apple online for $199. BUT! it did not arrive on launch day when it should have...so of course I freaked and thought, "well if my phone hasn't arrived, it obviously has not been activated under my line, if the Apple store has phones (which they did) I'll go try my chances at picking one up and just see what happens." Sure enough, they checked my eligibility in store, I was good to go. Walked out of there with a 32GB 3GS for $299. So when my 16GB eventually arrived, I gave it to my brother, he turned it on, and it deactivated my line right away....we just swapped the SIM's and everything was fine. I am going to try this again this year...whether it'll work, I don't know, I'm prepared for the worst. I think it's crazy WHY they wouldn't just sell iPhone's to anyone who currently has one for $199/$299...because for every 10 people that are willing to pay full price for their iPhones, there are 100 people excited and willing to pay $199 for the phone. I know they have to make their money somehow, but we all know that AT&T and Apple are still making a killing at the $199/$299 range. Sorry for this being so confusing, but I wanted to share my ideas because just like everyone else, I am constantly thinking about June 24th and how it'll go down!

Cubbiblue

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
West Palm Beach
Pre-Order start time?

I am curious about that too, since it would be much more painless than battling the crowds.

I'm also interested to know when we can start preordering online... Tomorrow at 12:00? Or will the online store not open until the retail stores do? I'm not too worried about low stock since tons of places are letting you preorder, but it would be nice to know.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
If you want to pick up a phone at an ATT store on the 24th you are going to have to wait in line for first come first serve. All preorders for in store pick up will be ready on the 25th.

dusters711

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Four posts until the generic trying-to-be-witty att hater post, is that a record?

For the record, I've been a loyal AT&T customer for years and around here they are great... But they have been driving me nuts lately with their own confusion! So I'm not an AT&T hater... Sorry to disappoint!

chim9999

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I'm also interested to know when we can start preordering online... Tomorrow at 12:00? Or will the online store not open until the retail stores do? I'm not too worried about low stock since tons of places are letting you preorder, but it would be nice to know.

OH MA GAWD!!! I now have been told 3 different times to pre-order online.
first call: midnight (although i wasn't told the time zone)
second call (called back to get time zone): was told 7am eastern
third call: was told 7am central

we need to get a poll going. what time were you told?

update: just had a fellow co-worker call. he was told by someone at 800myapple on the east coast that they will start taking pre-orders at 7am. the apple guy said he honestly didn't know when the exact time was, just that he knew he was to be there taking orders at 7am.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
If you want to pick up a phone at an ATT store on the 24th you are going to have to wait in line for first come first serve. All preorders for in store pick up will be ready on the 25th.

Why would preorders be on the 25th?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.