Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Now I can't decide where I would want to pick it up. The Apple store is out of the question, because there isn't one in my town. I also don't want to order it online because it might not arrive on the launch day, and I'd rather physically pick it up to have control over exactly what time I receive it; I don't want to be waiting for the delivery person to arrive. And so that leaves AT&T and Best Buy. I'd rather go to best buy because it's a lot closer to me, and I like the experience better than at an AT&T store, but I'd rather go to the AT&T store because it will open at 7. Anyone know when Best Buy will open? I have classes at noon, so it might be beneficial to me to just go to AT&T and purchase it there.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
OH MA GAWD!!! I now have been told 3 different times to pre-order online.
first call: midnight (although i wasn't told the time zone)
second call (called back to get time zone): was told 7am eastern
third call: was told 7am central

we need to get a poll going. what time were you told?

I am a little suprised that there hasn't been an official time announced yet.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Now I can't decide where I would want to pick it up. The Apple store is out of the question, because there isn't one in my town. I also don't want to order it online because it might not arrive on the launch day, and I'd rather physically pick it up to have control over exactly what time I receive it; I don't want to be waiting for the delivery person to arrive. And so that leaves AT&T and Best Buy. I'd rather go to best buy because it's a lot closer to me, and I like the experience better than at an AT&T store, but I'd rather go to the AT&T store because it will open at 7. Anyone know when Best Buy will open? I have classes at noon, so it might be beneficial to me to just go to AT&T and purchase it there.

I have an Apple store, Radio Shack, Wal Mart, two ATT stores and Best Buy all within 5 miles of my house...and I can't decide either. :)

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Why would preorders be on the 25th?

I don't know, but I've read this as well - if you reserve for in-store pickup at ATT you have to wait til the 25th (I can't remember where I read it though...).

How did it work for the iPad if you reserved one for in-store pickup at the Apple retail stores? Were you assured one on launch day (assuming you pre-ordered early enough)?

pjjames1

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
The is no way they'll make people wait until the 25th to get their pre-orders. The people who pre-order for in store will get them BEFORE the people who are in line. This is how it was for me at my Apple store for iPad Wifi and iPad Wifi+3G.

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
This may seem obvious from the press release's language, but I emailed a contact within Best Buy and he confirmed In Store pre-orders only... You can't pre-order from Best Buy online.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
The is no way they'll make people wait until the 25th to get their pre-orders. The people who pre-order for in store will get them BEFORE the people who are in line. This is how it was for me at my Apple store for iPad Wifi and iPad Wifi+3G.

This is only for ATT pre orders. Everyone who is pre ordering is being urged to get the phone shipped to them on the 24. If you preorder and want to pick the phone up you will have to wait until the 25th. All iPhone stock on the 24th will be allocated for first come first serve customers.

All this info is from three different store representatives and one customer service reps. YMMY but I am just going to wait in line at my ATT store.

NyArtboy

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Miami
What I plan to do is what I did for the iPad. What i did is I ordered it online as a 'pre-order' as Apple doesn't charge you until the day it ships. Then I went to the apple store and reserved one in person, which they also do not charge you until you 'pick it up'. Then I sat back and waited. Turned out I got the email saying my reservation was ready to pick it up at the store and when I checked the online order, it said it was still processing. So I went to the apple store, picked up the tablet and cancelled the online order (with the iPad I might add). I suspect if the online order was going to get fulfilled and arrive at my house I would see it on the tracking #. This time I might even reserve it at best buy too just for a back up :p

Amanda84

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
so if you pre-order with apple to have it shipped to your house, you are guaranteed to have it by the 24th? And we have no idea what time pre-orders start? Also, they will be able to tell the price you are eligible for when you pre-order? Thanks!

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
FWIW, I just called 1800MYAPPLE to get a clue as to what time the pre-orders are supposed to begin on Apple's site. Conversation went like:

Me: I only have one question: What time are pre-orders for iPhone 4 supposed to begin tomorrow?

Apple: A specific time hasn't been announced but you can begin checking any time after midnight. (me: EDT I presume. No TZ information was suggested by the Apple rep.)

Me: OK, guess I'll be up all night then!

Apple: Providing a specific start time isn't in our best interest because it would prematurely and immediately overload our servers.

Me: Pretty sure you guys are going to get hammered no matter what. haha
Thanks for your help!

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
This may seem obvious from the press release's language, but I emailed a contact within Best Buy and he confirmed In Store pre-orders only... You can't pre-order from Best Buy online.

Thats what I expected. BB doesn't seem like they're going to open early for pre-orders either, so its 10AM (for me) to pre order one - the Apple store is 15 miles, BB is 1 mile, and the UPS and FedEx guys don't show up until 2-3 in the afternoon. I have to be home in the AM tomorrow anyways I might as well just swing by BB on the way into work.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
How exaclty does the preorder work? Do I have to pay for the entire device or partial? Will that gaurantee BB to have one for me when I walk in on luanch day?

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
How exaclty does the preorder work? Do I have to pay for the entire device or partial? Will that gaurantee BB to have one for me when I walk in on luanch day?

If I recall correctly, you reserve a device by purchasing a 50$ BB gift card (and giving them your name, account info, etc of course). On launch day when you come pick up the device, you use that 50$ BB gift card towards the purchase price of the device. If you choose not to get the device, BB has essentially sold you a 50$ gift card, so it works out well for them.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield

update: just had a fellow co-worker call. he was told by someone at 800myapple on the east coast that they will start taking pre-orders at 7am. the apple guy said he honestly didn't know when the exact time was, just that he knew he was to be there taking orders at 7am.

I'm going to venture my best guess to say that preorders will take place tomorrow 14-Jun-10 at 7am your timezone, that's how they've done it in the past, right? :confused:

NyArtboy

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Miami
If I recall correctly, you reserve a device by purchasing a 50$ BB gift card (and giving them your name, account info, etc of course). On launch day when you come pick up the device, you use that 50$ BB gift card towards the purchase price of the device. If you choose not to get the device, BB has essentially sold you a 50$ gift card, so it works out well for them.

Good to know. So I am still going to do what I posted earlier just skip BB. The apple store does not charge you to reserve until you 'pick it up'.

macfanjoe

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
OK, so if I preorder from Apple and have it shipped, what kind of delivery do they use? Will it need to be signed for? - Signature requirements are always the issue for me....

ALthough I know Apple's Fedex shipments can sometimes be pre-signed for on Apple's website....

deratka

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2009
Has anyone called a Best Buy to confirm this?? This morning I spoke to a Best Buy manager and she said they are not doing pre-orders. Then I hung up the phone, and went on-line and saw the press release stating they are taking pre-orders. So I called her back and told her this, and she said she checked on everything she could, and didn't know anything about them taking pre-orders.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007

Thanks, this makes sense. I don't mind having to buy a gift card in order to preorder since I know I'm going to be purchasing the phone at BB anyways.

hdtvee

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
On line ordering

Does anyone know what time we can start placing orders tomorrow?

Thanks.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wonder if Walmart will sell these at 12:01am on the 24th?

No.

(Long, non-Steve answer: they will start selling them at the same time as or later than Apple. Apple would certainly not allow anything else.)

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
Quick question

I won't be able to pre-order until Thursday. I was wondering if I would be able to pick up my phone on the 24th? Someone posted earlier that if you pre-order too late you might not be given a phone on the 24th. I thought that is what preordering was to be given a phone before the people in line are given theirs. Thanks for any info in advance.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.