Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

134010-iphone_4_preorder_wait.jpg

Now into the afternoon on the East Coast of the United States, Apple and AT&T are continuing to experience massive difficulties accepting pre-orders for the iPhone 4. As we noted earlier, Apple's own site has been throwing up errors for much of the day, but the primary problem appears to be AT&T's servers, which have reportedly completely collapsed under the deluge of requests.

Gizmodo has been staying on top of the issues all day, sharing reports of AT&T stores resorting to pen and paper for taking down customer information or even closing all together. Some customers have even reportedly attempted to log into their AT&T accounts only to find themselves viewing account for information for other customers, creating significant security concerns.

Customers hoping to bypass the frustrating online experience by calling in by phone to Apple to place their pre-orders are finding that Apple isn't accepting calls at this time, refusing to put customers on hold due to the crush of customers trying to place pre-orders. Even when Apple was taking calls, customers spent as much as three hours on hold before being told that there was nothing Apple's representatives could do until AT&T's servers are brought back up.

Meanwhile, customer frustration continues to increase, with both Apple and AT&T taking heat for the issues. While Apple has been known to struggle to keep up with launch-day demand for its products in the past, today's issues seem well beyond the scope of its usual congestion. Certainly the need for so many customers to interface with AT&T's systems during the pre-order process is a contributing factor to the difficulties, but it remains to be seen whether the issues stem from Apple and AT&T being woefully underprepared to handle the load or if customer demand has been significantly higher than the companies anticipated.

Article Link: AT&T's Server Problems Continue to Cause Problems for iPhone 4 Pre-Orders

silentsun

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
iPhone Backorders

Just came from an AT&T store (Henderson Rd. Columbus, OH) and the agent next to me just said the phones are now on backorder.

theotherguy

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
use the apple store app

after trying all morning on the website, the apple store app got through no problems. received my confirmation email.

peejer

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
TN
Who is really surprised by this?

Is there no end to what AT&T can mess up?

danielsmu

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
Just came from an AT&T store (Henderson Rd. Columbus, OH) and the agent next to me just said the phones are now on backorder.

Sorry, I don't buy it. Based on the forum posts, only a handful of pre-orders were able to squeek through so I seriously doubt they're already backordered.

Sounds like AT&T's company line is to blame a supply shortage instead of their woefully inadequate eligibility servers.

enklined

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Earth
I have been trying for nearly 3 hours this AM (West Coast) via Apple.com with no success. Gonna quit for a few hours and try again later.

Newsinker

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
I just got mine pre-ordered... through the Apple site. Maybe I got lucky? I got my confirmation order, but I am waiting on my confirmation e-mail still. Keeping my fingers crossed... ;)

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Security Issues are major. Prime example of how not to prepare for a launch.

Apple needs to let go of the AT&T yoke and shift to other carriers. This isn't good by any means.

PS. Why no MacBook Air update apple?

Fainer

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
I could care less at this point.

After and Apple employee told me I was eligible for an upgrade, AT&T now tells me that I am not until Feb '11.

So I am bitter and don't care...

Axl Rose

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
I was able to pre order mine from att in like 10 minutes....ho come everyone else is having problems..west coast btw, if that matters

musicrocks182

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
Apple Store App worked like a charm. Reserved my new iPhone within 5 minutes and even got my confirmation email. I suggest you all try that.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Tried multiple times today and still can't get past the AT&T step. I think I'll just sit back and wait until July. If it's bad now, the rush to get activated next weekend will be just as maddening. Maybe a month from now things will have calmed down a lot.

dj4uofa

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Use the new iPhone App!

I had trouble all morning trying on Apple.com to get the new iPhone, but at around 9:30 PST I tried the new Apple Store iPhone App that Apple released today and it went perfect!

Several friends were able to confirm this as well, so if you got an iPhone, get and use the App!

pacmantech

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
Don't believe anything an AT&T rep in a retail store says. Their sole goal is to get you to buy an iPhone under their login so they get the commission.

It's near impossible that the iPhone 4 is on "backorder."

ldkaplan

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
N. Georgia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

They should outsource this type of event to someone with the right hhardware. Like Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.