Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koilvr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I dont think you can get the phone shipped to your house anymore through apple.com I want to pay and have it delivered to my house but it only lets me reserve to a store.

beaner454

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
And in yet another blatantly obvious showing of why Apple needs to be on more than one carrier yet again.

Seriously, I'd say 90% of what I hate about AT&T just has to do with the inability to handle the iPhone-and would quickly dissipate if we could spread the user base over at least 2 networks.

This has been such a nightmare, and I had started my pre order process at 1:00:30AM.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
2nd one ordered now finally after 8 hrs of trying Im done I just hope ATT ships to arrive on the release date

silentsun

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I don't buy the backorder issue either...just passing along what they are telling customers.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
My Radio Shack where my best friend is the Manger was able to generate my ticket with a reserve PIN at 1:00PM EST exactly. Every ticket since has declined the PIN.

I have had to luck trying AT&T, Apple.com, and the iPhone App.

It's just a phone though and I will get it when I get it.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I don't really care. I want one too, but it doesn't matter one bit to me if I get it the first day or first week or first month. Seems like way too much headache to me just to have it a couple days early.

normang

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2007
Maple Grove, MN
Why is this a surprise.. while I am sure they expected high demand, I am sure it has exceeded their expectations, result, its slow or there are errors. For something this popular, what did you expect AT&T do, spend 100's of thousands or millions of dollars for extra server capacity for one to two days of pre-orders? Not sure I would. Even if they did, what if it was still over-whelmed?

If one is patient, you will get your pre-order completed. However we seem to have become a society filled with people that can't wait for nothing, immediate gratification, no matter what the cost..

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Wow - glad I didn't check this board earlier.

I went to the AT&T store in Dallas over lunch to place a pre-order and walked out 10 minutes later with no problems whatsoever.

waltermitty

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
I got to the very last AT&T page, entered my credit card information and everything, clicked order, and after a long while got a proxy error. I seriously doubt it went through... What if my card is charged but my order never entered the database? This is ridiculous.

briansanderson

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003
Have been trying to pre-order since 8 this morning. Still no go. This is seriously frustrating. Hopefully I can get one ordered later today.

dieselm

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Using the apple store app to pre order works fast

They're probably bypassing the realtime eligibility check.
The reservation goes through almost immediately.

aeaglex07

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2007
United States
luckily got mine ordered through AT&T this morning. But i didn't recieve a confirmation email so i called AT&T Customer Service and the CSR verified that it has been ordered. still awaiting my confirmation email though. Hopefully all goes well.:D

gilesrulz

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
I was thinking about this earlier: Since they basically let anyone with a pulse upgrade for this iPhone, it seems crazy to me that they wouldn't set up some alternate method, like pre-qualifying for the upgrade, or something similar.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I most certainly got further with the App Store App - but - when I select either model I get a simple "Error" dialog box and all I can do is press OK.

This happens regardless of which model I select.

Yes, it looks like you can reserve phones with the App Store App, that's what I was doing.

BornAgain Apple

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Got in after 4 hours using iPhone Application

After trying off and on for four hours, I was finally able to reserve a phone using the iPhone application. I tried the Apple site both from home and at work and it did seem to be the AT&T interface that slowed or crashed the program. But the iPhone application crashed repeatedly as well. When it finally made it through, I was surprised. Received an email confirmation of my reservation 5-10 minutes later. And while it lists the retail price, I trust the upgrade price will be used when I pick it up - the same as happened when I upgraded my first iPhone to a 3G. And while it is easy to slam Apple and AT&T for being unprepared, who can plan for this many hits in advance? I'm just happy to have one reserved as I bet they have a problem keeping up with the initial demand on these as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.