Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
ATT just turned down my girlfriend in the store stating, "they are not allowed by apple to accept pre-orders with a debit card, only credit card".... very interesting.

I know apple was just involved in a law suit by a lady who was denied buying an ipad with cash...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I know apple was just involved in a law suit by a lady who was denied buying an ipad with cash...
There was no lawsuit, retailers can dictate what payment terms they're willing to accept. The lady who got denied buying an ipad generated a lot of negative press, so apple acquiesced

They are not compelled to take cash even though its legal tender.

macslayer118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Dallas, TX
When entering my card number online (which as of now looks ok) it said make sure you have enough on your "credit/debit card" when the item ships or it will be cancelled. So I don't understand why they wouldnt take a debit??

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Seriously? No white, no debit cards, bogged servers? What a nightmare.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
There was no lawsuit, retailers can dictate what payment terms they're willing to accept. The lady who got denied buying an ipad generated a lot of negative press, so apple acquiesced

Interesting... I'm going back with her tonight to a different ATT store so we can get this situated... it's weird how this country is trying to get out of all it's debt, yet demands you have "credit" to purchase things, and doesn't even accept cash, which SHOULD be the #1 thing, above how good your credit is.

But that's why we are in the ****** condition we are in as a country I suppose.

I'll update around 6pm after I go in there raising all hell...

dwella1

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2009
AT&T has plainly stated all along they will not accept debit cards on preorder. You might try Apple.

D1

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
First in line at ATT store they announced if you pay with a debt visa the order will cancel when it gets ready to ship, some walked out.

Drusso

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
I also used my visa/debit card and called to confirm with At&t, since I have not received a email confirming just my bank account being charged. My order is there and placed!

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
As someone who works with debit cards, the issue could be with the way banks handle authorizations. With credit cards, the charge is always pulled from the authorization. With debit cards, sometimes the banks treat the authorization and charge as two separate transactions, and for a period ranging from a day up to several days, double the money is held and it almost looks like two charges. The authorization usually falls off and the funds are again available, but as you can imagine, if you are someone with only enough money to cover what you charge in your account, this can cause problems. That's probably why they are only doing credit.

skyehill

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
After 12 hours of off and on attempts to order from Apple for home delivery, my order was finally placed and was done so using a debit card.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004

I wouldn't be so quick with that answer if I were you. I have heard of several lawsuits against businesses where they were compelled to accept cash by law. One instance I can think of - the guy wanted to pay for something in pennies - and the store denied him. The store lost...

Tough cookies they gotta count'em, but the law isn't on their side.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
AT&T has plainly stated all along they will not accept debit cards on preorder. You might try Apple.D1

"plainly stated"? to whom? It was not anywhere on the online order page (that I saw) and their software dutifully accepted my debit card.

Based on the exclamation point I got when I checked my confirmation online doesn't suggest that it will be that easy, however. But I am hoping ATT will make contact with us, if it is indeed an issue, for a different form of payment rather than to simply reject the order outright and we lose our place in the queue. Heck, they could charge my ATT account if they wanted. Only been paying it on time for the past 12 years.

But, whatever. It made for a fun diversion today regardless :p

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
I wouldn't be so quick with that answer if I were you. I have heard of several lawsuits against businesses where they were compelled to accept cash by law. One instance I can think of - the guy wanted to pay for something in pennies - and the store denied him. The store lost...

Tough cookies they gotta count'em, but the law isn't on their side.

From an ABC website:
The U.S. Treasury Department says there is nothing in the law that requires companies to accept cash as payment, even though it is "legal tender."

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=7447037

bhsu21

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
debit card only options?

I tried to go upgrade at the ATT store and they would not take my debit card.

So now what are my options? I've been trying Apple.com but that's a mess.

I only have a debit card or cash. No credit cards.

If I walk into ATT on launch day and can get an Iphone, will they take debit? How about the Apple store?

awestruck

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I ordered mine with a Debit Card. I hope there isn't a big deal. I mean, the right amount will be on the card when the phone ships, so I hope to god it won't cancel my order.

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
I have a Visa-debit and it went right through.

Most debits are visa/debit these days, they don't know the difference when you order.

Juarez7514

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
you can order with a debit card

i ordered 2 iphones today with a debit card from bank of america. the store manager informed me that they are not suppose to accept debit cards, even though they can be used as credit, has visa logo. but he will do it. they are not suppose to use debit cards because they debit the $250 out today and they will debit another $250 when the phone ships. then when you receive the phone, then they will the first $250 back in your account.

hope that helps:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.