Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Sebastian Ballas, PearPC's lead developer, said a screenshot of CherryOS shows a variable named "SPIRO MULTIMAX 3000," a nonsensical term Ballas claims to have invented for use in PearPC.
Busted. Fess up dude, anyone who's read the story knows this is a hoax.

whitlock

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2004
powermac666 said:
Bartender seems like a good line of work for him. He can mix drinks using other people's recipes all day long.

But you can't count on him to make an original drink :rolleyes:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't think it's exactly a hoax--some people at MOSR (often wrong, but probably not flat-out lying) have the beta and are testing it. It doesn't work--it's probably vapor for now, and always may be--but it does exist. That's different from a hoax. AND the problems getting it to run are supposedly very similar to the ones for PearPC.

All in all I think they are using PearPC but denying it. Not something that would make me want to do business--but I won't condemn them without final proof.

So I don't think it's a hoax, but nor does it seem to be a current and viable product.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
nagromme said:
I don't think it's exactly a hoax--some people at MOSR (often wrong, but probably not flat-out lying) have the beta and are testing it. It doesn't work--it's probably vapor for now, and always may be--but it does exist. That's different from a hoax. AND the problems getting it to run are supposedly very similar to the ones for PearPC.
Under PearPC it's possible to get OS X installation to complete =) This has me curious, that perhaps VX30 plugged in PearPC screen shots because their own code didn't exactly work....?

I started playing with the idea of using an existing filesystem and seeing if that could somehow be booted up, but it's not clear how to get there from here, or if an existing image can be whipped into shape to allow that.

Another emulator, a PPC version of Softmac, was demoed a few years ago, then disappeared under a big argument between Darek Mihocka and Jim Drew. I have been wondering if that's where this CherryOS thing may have come from, because the death of Softmac was announced in July.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.