Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 20, 2004, 03:00 PM   #1
MacNeXT
macrumors 6502

Apple Wireless keyboard - Windows compatibility

Hi

Is the Apple Wireless Keyboard compatible with Windows 2000 or Windows XP?
Old Oct 20, 2004, 03:18 PM   #2
hotwire132002
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to hotwire132002 Send a message via MSN to hotwire132002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNeXT
Hi

Is the Apple Wireless Keyboard compatible with Windows 2000 or Windows XP?
I can't see why it wouldn't be... as long as the computer has Bluetooth. I know my Apple USB keyboard and mouse work fine with Windows.
hotwire132002 is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2004, 05:34 PM   #3
LimeLite
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to LimeLite
Even if you got it to connect with Bluetooth, keys on a mac keyboard are different than those on a PC. PCs have ALT Buttons, Windows Buttons...compare the two types of keyboards together, they don't match up. That being said, I would recommend either finding a different keyboard or buying a mac, rather than wasting time trying to make mac specific hardware work on a PC.
LimeLite is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2004, 06:00 PM   #4
MacNeXT
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeLite
Even if you got it to connect with Bluetooth, keys on a mac keyboard are different than those on a PC. PCs have ALT Buttons, Windows Buttons...compare the two types of keyboards together, they don't match up. That being said, I would recommend either finding a different keyboard or buying a mac, rather than wasting time trying to make mac specific hardware work on a PC.
I want to buy the keyboard for an iBook and I also want to use it for my peecee. When using a PC keyboard on the Mac, the Windows button gets the command button doesn't it? Isn't it the same the other way round?

Something else: I really hate those PC keyboards with all those ugly specific buttons you never use. I have been searching for a functional keyboard for the PC but every one seems to be contaminated with the "if it looks like a spaceship it's good" idea. Just like mice btw. Really, the apple keyboard is the only one I like except for some cherry keyboards which are very expensive.

I also like the clicky IBM PS/2 keyboards except for the fact that they consume a lot of desk space. Just like the ADB Extended Keyboard II.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:37 PM   #5
point665
macrumors regular

Pressing the Apple key on a Apple keyboard plugged into a Windows box will not work as the Windows key, Alt and Command (Apple/Windows) are switched around on the two layouts.
point665 is offline   0
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:24 PM   #6
oopss
macrumors newbie

I am using the apple wireless keyboard on my windows xp fine. I have found that I must using xp sp2 to enable the keyboard, otherwise I have to pair bluetooth pin with my PC every time when I login the windows (after successful pairing each time, it works fine on xp w/o SP2).

on the other hand, the "Ctrl", "Alt", "Windows" also works fine on Windows.
The follow is the keys on the apple keyboard:
PC<->Mac
"Ctrl" - "Control"
"Alt" - "option"
"Windows"-"Apple"

But until this moment, I dont know how to use the four media keys under Windows. Can anyone tell me? thx much!
oopss is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers