Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Im soon getting an ipad and was planning on jailbreaking it with spirit but i updated to iTunes 9.2 yesterday :/

Can i downgrade to 9.1 or am i stuck for now?

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Hmm i came up with an idea because even if i downgrade it on my mac i'd still be kind of afraid to risk bricking it.

Can i set it on my mac when i get it and sync it etc

but download iTunes 9.1 for my old windows desktop and jailbreak it on that?

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Hmm i came up with an idea because even if i downgrade it on my mac i'd still be kind of afraid to risk bricking it.

Can i set it on my mac when i get it and sync it etc

but download iTunes 9.1 for my old windows desktop and jailbreak it on that?

You won't brick it. Downgrade on your Mac and enjoy your Spirit jailbreak!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Reading comex's tweets it seems that they managed to get out the infinite loop thing by ruining spirit jailbreak twice.... However I still would not recommend doing so. Stick with iTunes 9.1.1

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
So what is the issue with 9.2 and the spirit jailbreak? I have been running spirit since it came out and recently updated itunes and haven't had any issues.

How does itunes effect jailbroken ipads? I don't see the relation. You don't use itunes to jailbreak.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So what is the issue with 9.2 and the spirit jailbreak? I have been running spirit since it came out and recently updated itunes and haven't had any issues.

How does itunes effect jailbroken ipads? I don't see the relation. You don't use itunes to jailbreak.

There's no issue with an already jailbroken iPad, the problem occurs when you try to jailbreak an iPad with iTunes 9.2 installed, either because you just got a new iPad, or you had to restore it for some reason. I believe jailbreak programs like Spirit relies on some component of iTunes to work, and that component got modified in the 9.2 update.

GinoDotCom

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Can anyone else confirm that 9.2 iTunes won't work with a jail broken iPad??

I plan to go to 9.2 when I get the iphone4... This could be a potential conflict.

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
There's no issue with an already jailbroken iPad, the problem occurs when you try to jailbreak an iPad with iTunes 9.2 installed, either because you just got a new iPad, or you had to restore it for some reason. I believe jailbreak programs like Spirit relies on some component of iTunes to work, and that component got modified in the 9.2 update.

Okay, that makes a bit more sense. Thanks

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
So we can use another computer that has an older iTunes just to Jailbreak (say my office computer) and still be able to sync with no problems at home, which would be updated to 9.2? Thanks

Jasonnaylorx

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I've done a daft thing, forgetting that I had upgraded iTunes to 9.2 I restored my ipad using iTunes 9.2, my question is if I downgrade my iTunes back to 9.1.1 will spirit jailbreak the ipad even though it was restored with 9.2 iTunes without any problems? Ie will it end up in that boot loop thing,

Jasonnaylorx

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Edit to my last post,

I took the plunge and tried the spirit jailbreak after restoring my ipad with iTunes 9.2 and low and behold it all went very well, no boot loop, no wifi or cydia problems, exactly as it should go, it's hard to believe all the people that said do not do a fresh spirit jailbreak at iTunes 9.2 because it worked for me,

ideesg

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Edit to my last post,

I took the plunge and tried the spirit jailbreak after restoring my ipad with iTunes 9.2 and low and behold it all went very well, no boot loop, no wifi or cydia problems, exactly as it should go, it's hard to believe all the people that said do not do a fresh spirit jailbreak at iTunes 9.2 because it worked for me,

Hi Jassonaylorx, would like to seek your help to clarify what you did with your iPad.

My new iPad 3.2 was sync with my iTunes 9.2 (I upgraded as I was prompted by iTunes to do so, otherwise my new iPad could not be started). If I downgrade to iTunes to 9.1.1, would I still be able to jailbreak my iPad with Spirit? Any chance of bricking it? Thanks for your help.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
The website still says not to jb with 9.2 so I don't know if I would trust it....

I originally had 9.2 but installed 9.1.1 and was able to jailbreak it fine.

larock

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
I too just jailbroke my iPad with iTunes 9.2 using Spirit. I didn't have any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.