Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalfiuss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I just recently killed my second set of V-moda Vibe Duo's, and am now shopping around for some new in ear headphones with inline controls.

I liked the sound quality of the Vibe Duo's but it seems a common thread with a lot of the headphones people use with their iPhones is that they fail after a short amount of time due to the wiring near the 3.5mm jack.

Does anyone have any recommendations for headphones that have a solid build quality and will last more than a couple months? I use my headphones with my iPhone in my pocket at work and it ends up jostling around in there a bit, which leads to my problems.

I'm looking to spend up to about $150 if necessary, but am willing to go higher if somethings build quality is exceptional.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Nde

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm using Vmoda headset and I love them as well. You have one year warranty on your headset, if your is within 1 year, email the tech for a repair. I do have to say my vmoda do not last very long. The tech at Vmoda do take care of me. My older set was broke, vmode mail me an upgrade. I entitle to one replacement. And no, I do not work for them. :D

Psant

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
I like my Klipsch S2Ms, but they might be on the cheap side for you.

Basically, anything by Klipsch, Sennheiser, Shure, or Denon should do the trick.

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Ultimate Ears make the best in-ear earphones bar none.

Try the MetroFi series. Inexpensive and I guarantee you hear stuff you never noticed in your music before.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I have not tried the beats yet. my wife loves the on ear beats. but they sure have a great cods and a good 90 degree plug.

turugara

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2009
Pennsylvania
ER6i
They've been around the world with me, literally. I keep them in my pocket all the time and they sound pretty decent. Granted, I normally use a Markl Modded Denon AH-2000 with a decent amp/DAC. These won't come close to the full headphone but for travel, these are my first go to option.

Yes you'll find others with better quality sound. But in terms of sheer build quality, these have not failed me yet.

http://www.digitalmania-online.com/Etymotic-ER6i-Review.html
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPod/Etymotic-ER6i.htm

SJTrance

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
It all really depends on what you want to spend and whether you want integrated controls for the phone with a mic. I have the Shure SE530 and it's pretty awesome. If I could foot the bill for a more expensive IEM (inner ear monitor), I would have chosen the Westone 3. I don't have Shure's mic, but I haven't been hearing the best things in the world about them.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
i've used shures for about 6 years and thing they're pretty good. as far as which model? this is a case where the more the spend the more you get. i've got e5c's. they've got a new name now "new for 2010" hah.

that said, make sure you want in ear stuff. they can get irritating. i don't use them full time more partial to cans. shure 840's were a recent deal. big but amazing bang for your buck!

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
sold my se530's for w3's. i recommend you trying the u3x. (wanted to hear some opinions before pulling the trigger on that haha)

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
i am looking into the UM1's as well - look pretty good.

UM1's are very nice for the price. bought a pair for the pops for fathers day. he loves them. only thing that he doesnt like is it isolates noise TOO much hahah.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
thats very good news! because i am considering purchasing them for when i play gigs! or do you reckon the UM3X/UM2 ;)

i would always recommend the higher models. the um1's offer a really good bang for the buck though. comparing the um1 to the se110 is a drastic difference, even though both are the respected brands starter headphones the um1 easily beats out the 110's in almost every category. the only problem is, many people don't find it justified to spend 300+ on headphones. imo, if you use your ipod/iphone everyday for music, good headphones is a must.

but whatever headphones you use, remember to rip your music preferably above 192kbps! happy listening!! ;)

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I'm personally very happy with my Klipsch s4i, but any audiophile will tell you that Etymotics, Sennheiser, Shure, Ultimate Ears, and Klipsch all have really good headphones for a variety of listening styles. Poke around, read reviews. See what sounds good.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
i would always recommend the higher models. the um1's offer a really good bang for the buck though. comparing the um1 to the se110 is a drastic difference, even though both are the respected brands starter headphones the um1 easily beats out the 110's in almost every category. the only problem is, many people don't find it justified to spend 300+ on headphones. imo, if you use your ipod/iphone everyday for music, good headphones is a must.

but whatever headphones you use, remember to rip your music preferably above 192kbps! happy listening!! ;)
FLAC/apple lossless for me ;) even though:
1. my iPod doesnt reproduce the sound perfectly, and
2. ive lost my iPod :(

but i would only mainly use this purchase for playing live gigs, i only need a metronome coming through the headphones so its not exactly going to be a need for good quality - just something to block the other ambient noises!

I'm personally very happy with my Klipsch s4i, but any audiophile will tell you that Etymotics, Sennheiser, Shure, Ultimate Ears, and Klipsch all have really good headphones for a variety of listening styles. Poke around, read reviews. See what sounds good.

yea thats exactly right man - each set differs for each user and the genre will always play a MASSIVE part in the experience. the best option is to try it yourself!

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
I'll also really like my Bose in-ear mobile's. My only complaint with them is that the cord is too long, Sound quality is excellent and they work great for phone calls as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.