Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:07 PM   #1
ipoddin
macrumors 6502a

Engadget iPhone 4 review

Quote:
We're not going to beat around the bush -- in our approximation, the iPhone 4 is the best smartphone on the market right now.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/22/iphone-4-review/
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:13 PM   #2
coelacanth
macrumors 6502

I'm very happy and excited about the battery section of the review. Nice. Very nice.
coelacanth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:13 PM   #3
agoat
macrumors regular

engadget is awesome muahhahaha
agoat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:48 PM   #4
malnar
macrumors 6502a

Does that article just stop at the video for everyone else? Is that the whole article? I thought there was supposed to be some talk about battery life ("more on that in a moment")?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Advil
macrumors 6502a

Yayyyy for iPad friendly videos!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:52 PM   #6
dmx
macrumors 6502

I can't wait to read Gizmodo's review!

Err..

oh, wait.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:53 PM   #7
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by malnar View Post
Does that article just stop at the video for everyone else? Is that the whole article? I thought there was supposed to be some talk about battery life ("more on that in a moment")?
yeah, it stops at the video for me as well, something is up. it looks unitentionalf because there are no source or comments after the video.

edit: just tried on the engadget app on my iphone and it seems to have fully loaded the review.
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Eluzion
macrumors 6502

Great review. Completely agreed about the notification system. It absolutely blows, and I'm surprised it hasn't changed (especially for notifications from apps like Meebo).
Eluzion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:55 PM   #9
STEVESKI07
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth View Post
I'm very happy and excited about the battery section of the review. Nice. Very nice.
What battery section? That was the section I was looking forward to most along with the camera section (which I'm pleased about).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluzion View Post
Great review. Completely agreed about the notification system. It absolutely blows, and I'm surprised it hasn't changed (especially for notifications from apps like Meebo).
I agree. My guess would be that the notification system will be next year's big change.
STEVESKI07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Mystikal
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Mystikal
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVESKI07 View Post
What battery section? That was the section I was looking forward to most along with the camera section (which I'm pleased about).
Here.

Quote:
This is a big one for many people, and we have some fairly surprising news to report. The battery life on the iPhone 4 has been outstanding thus far, exceeding our expectations for longevity during testing. We've only had a short time to use the phone, but in the week or so we've been carrying the device as our main phone, we've had pretty amazing results under normal to heavy use. In fact, we managed to squeeze more than 38 hours -- yes, 38 hours -- of life out of a single charge using the phone as we normally would. We're talking calls, some gaming, lots of push email and calendar invites, playing music over Bluetooth in the car, and just general testing (like downloading new apps, rearranging icons, tweaking settings). We went from 10:30AM on a Saturday morning till 1:00AM on Monday without needing to charge the phone. Of course, it switched itself off just after the clock struck 1, but it was thrilling -- like that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer and the car salesman see how far they can get in a car with the tank on E. Sitcom references aside, the battery life seems markedly improved in the iPhone 4, and why not? It's got a much larger battery coupled with that iPad-powering A4, which has already shown that it can sip rather than gulp power.

Once the rest of the team has their iPhones in hand, we'll do some hardcore battery life testing and see what we come up with, but we think under pretty active use, the iPhone 4 blows Apple's previous generation phone out of the water, and makes a lot of the competition look downright needy.
Mystikal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:58 PM   #11
ipoddin
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by malnar View Post
Nope, whole article loads fine for me.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:59 PM   #12
mac jones
macrumors 68040

my my.

I was luke warm about it. This review has warmed me up a bit though.

Now I'm glad they're suppose to deliver it a day early
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:01 PM   #13
STEVESKI07
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Here.
Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoddin View Post
Nope, whole article loads fine for me.
What browser are you using? The video is the end of the article for me on IE.

Edit: Just fired it up in Firefox and it works fine for me. So everyone that is having a similar problem, try it in a different browser.
STEVESKI07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:03 PM   #14
bundu
macrumors member

Just as expected: another suckfest by Engadget. They would probably praise Steve Jobs' turds if they were given some to review.

Engadget has become nothing but Apple fanboys, it's sad to see.
bundu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:04 PM   #15
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundu View Post
Just as expected: another suckfest by Engadget. They would probably praise Steve Jobs' turds if they were given some to review.

So I take it your not thrilled about this new phone?

Or is it just Engadget being unreliable?
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:06 PM   #16
Appmamma
macrumors newbie

Nice review... Although the video didn't blow me away I think my flip (raw, unedited, just like that) does better

Appmamma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:10 PM   #17
DJ ReFRESH
macrumors member

Good review. it just made me that much more antsy to take delivery
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:10 PM   #18
Eluzion
macrumors 6502

Quote:

While I agree most people on these forums would two-girls-one-cup Mr. Job's turds, I thought the review was legit. What do you not agree with? It covered both the positive and negative aspects. Hardware wise, there's not too much you can complain about with the new iPhone 4 but software wise, I think iOS 4 could definitely had a few additions/improvements that are long overdue (i.e. a notification system that doesn't cause the earth to stop rotating).
Eluzion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:10 PM   #19
NateDogX
macrumors member

And what else does your Flip do? Oh, that's right.
NateDogX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:12 PM   #20
Mark Booth
macrumors 65816

From the Engadget review:

"...and even a phone like the HTC Droid Incredible -- which just came out -- seems last-generation."

Mark
Mark Booth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:26 PM   #21
41qser
macrumors regular

This has made me a little more excited as well... good stuff to read.
41qser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:47 PM   #22
phobic99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
From the Engadget review:

"...and even a phone like the HTC Droid Incredible -- which just came out -- seems last-generation."

Mark
I don't see what's so funny about that. Seems kind of juvenile to me that someone would find that funny.

*shrug*

I guess having choices suck? Umm... yeah I don't get it.
phobic99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:05 PM   #23
notblackmac
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to notblackmac
I was thinking you might have a link for the iPhone 4 prototype overview they did. That would have been funny.
notblackmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:09 PM   #24
bahooki
Banned

Quote:

I have a pretty good FANBOY DETECTION ALERT SYSTEM and it goes off on this forum a lot, but Josh never gives me the impression that he's biased in any direction. The only issue I have with his review was the lackluster coverage of what most of us with iPhones agree on is the phones biggest issue - it sucks as a phone. Whereas the Boing Boing reviewer concentrated on that aspect and reported back that the dropped calls persist, Josh kinda gave it short shrift. Otherwise I thought his review was stellar. He ripped Apple for having the absolute worst notification system, and he pointed out that Apple did as little as possible to bring folders to us, which for a company that likes to claim they'll only do something when they can do it the best seems kinda cheap and lazy.

The battery life made me very very happy.
bahooki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:13 PM   #25
spinedoc77
macrumors 601

Videos don't work on my iPad, epic fail for the brownosers at engadget, jobs better not move his butt or there are goin to be a lot of broken noses.
spinedoc77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone