Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veronicaleo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
Okay, so I'm ready to buy my first apple computer. I'll be using my computer for boring things like office programs, e-mail, and itunes. I can get an educational discount, which brings the PB down to $1399. I can buy that as is or upgrade the ibook to 60GB for an extra $70. I like the look of the PB more but can't decide if it's worth it. I also don't feel like waiting around until next year when the update occurs.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I too, like the look of the PB over the iBook. But the iBooks were just updated and they more than meet your needs based on your description of what you want to do with it. I would invest in the iBook and upgrade the hard drive and the memory. Neither computer ships with enough memory. You need at least 512, if not more.

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
I'd go with the new iBook, with those prices you can't go wrong - you'd have more money left over to spend on software and accessories.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
ibook is the best bet for you unless you want to upgrade, as in get an external display! the only 2 factors to consider are DVI port and 64MB RAM, and a line-in. Are they worth 400$ more may not be! but you cannot get a DVI connection for ibook on any price!

It is some thing strange, i used to have a Athlon-M HP laptop with IGP. No seperate graphics card ... i was able to play UT very easily on that. My ibook with 32MB graphics card thought should have better. The game feels so slugish on my ibook screen itself... but my powerbook can run the game with out any problem on my 17" AppleDisplay
:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
ibook ibook ibook!!!!!!!!

IMHO, Apple offers no worse deal right now than the 12" PB, at least as compared to other macs.

The PB has these advantages, so far as I can tell:

bigger HD ($50 upgrade from apple)
BT built in ($50 upgrade from apple)
DVI (but can use spanning hack on ibook)
audio line-in
twice the video memory
130 mhz faster processor
faster bus (133 to 167)
faster RAM (266 to 333, I believe)

Now, that sounds like a lot. But, the price difference is $350, with a combo powerbook, upgraded HD and BT on the ibook, and edu discount on both. You're paying $350 for 130 mhz and 32 video RAM. The overall difference in speed between these two is going to be *negligible* (except in games where the extra VRAM matters). I doubt you'd notice it without doing tests.

No way the powerbook is worth it unless you've got $350 that you don't really need.

veronicaleo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
Okay, just to torment myself - when the PB update occurs how much of a price drop do you think there's going to be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.