Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:43 AM   #1
mkstewartesq@co
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Uh-Oh - Anyone got yellow spots on their 14 screen?

Just synced up my iPhone 4 and noticed that, on screens with a white background (i.e., Settings.), there is a decidedly yellow spot on the lower left corner of my screen. It appears circular (about the size of a pencil eraser) but when you rotate the phone sideways, it's more visible as running across the bottom edge of the screen a ways. Anyone else? Also, assuming I wait til the weekend to make a Genius Bar appointment (to avoid the Thursday crush at the store), is Apple likely to have replacement phones on hand this early in the launch?

Thanks,
M
mkstewartesq@co is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:47 AM   #2
iHero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Sounds like the iMac
__________________
21.5 iMac, 3.06GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 1TB LaCie 80GB iPod Classic iPhone 4 16GB - Delivered June 24th
iHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:49 AM   #3
iPhonedHome
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dallas
Pics damnit!
iPhonedHome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:52 AM   #4
I AN LEGEND
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
damn.... that sucks..
I AN LEGEND is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:56 AM   #5
D4RK STR1D3R
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I agree, pics please!
D4RK STR1D3R is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:57 AM   #6
brvheart
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
that sucks, pics please.
__________________
www.mmaworld.org
- MBP (15.4" Matte)
- MBP (17" Glossy Unibody)
- 32GB Black 3GS
brvheart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:58 AM   #7
mkstewartesq@co
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhonedHome View Post
Pics damnit!
Well, it doesn't show up in screenshots since the defect appears to be in the output screen and (I assume), the screenshot really just snaps the data as presented to the screen. I think I'd need to use an external camera to capture it and, though it is noticeable, I'm not positive a camera would capture it. I guess I'll wait a couple of days to see if "burn-in" or some similar concept will address it. But, you know, one I saw it, I can't UNsee it.

M

EDIT - and I don't have an external camera.
mkstewartesq@co is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:58 AM   #8
mtj111
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Please god no

It put me off buying iMacs for live after that fiasco... please don't let this happen to iphone...
mtj111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:59 AM   #9
Advil
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
use the front camera in a mirror?
__________________
Advil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:02 AM   #10
iPhonedHome
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
use the front camera in a mirror?
I like what you did there!

Do it! Even if it doesn't show it I want to see a pic taken with the front cam. Por favor!
iPhonedHome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:04 AM   #11
PNutts
macrumors 601
 
PNutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkstewartesq@co View Post
Just synced up my iPhone 4 and noticed that, on screens with a white background (i.e., Settings.), there is a decidedly yellow spot on the lower left corner of my screen. It appears circular (about the size of a pencil eraser) but when you rotate the phone sideways, it's more visible as running across the bottom edge of the screen a ways. Anyone else? Also, assuming I wait til the weekend to make a Genius Bar appointment (to avoid the Thursday crush at the store), is Apple likely to have replacement phones on hand this early in the launch?

Thanks,
M
I would make it for Thursday just to see the circus from a distance and pick up some accessories Sorry about your phone.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:09 AM   #12
gloss
macrumors 601
 
gloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: around/about
Send a message via AIM to gloss
Frankly, if it is an issue they'll replace it for you, and until demand calms down at least you still have a fully functional phone.
__________________
when you say it's all over / hell yeah anyway
gloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:10 AM   #13
mkstewartesq@co
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
use the front camera in a mirror?
Yeah, that doesn't work so well (but you get an award for quick thinking, as that never would've occurred to me). You just get a shot of the phone taking a picture of the phone - but you need a white background up on the screen to be able to see the yellow spot.

Anyone hazard a guess as to whether Apple will declare there to be no issue until tons of others report the problem? I can't remember what happened in the iMac situation before the point where they publicly acknowledged an issue.

M
mkstewartesq@co is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:11 AM   #14
rsplatpc
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkstewartesq@co View Post
Well, it doesn't show up in screenshots since the defect appears to be in the output screen and (I assume), the screenshot really just snaps the data as presented to the screen. I think I'd need to use an external camera to capture it and, though it is noticeable, I'm not positive a camera would capture it. I guess I'll wait a couple of days to see if "burn-in" or some similar concept will address it. But, you know, one I saw it, I can't UNsee it.

M

EDIT - and I don't have an external camera.
Everyone I know in the world has a camera, why is it people on forums that make claims NEVER have even a point and shoot?
rsplatpc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:12 AM   #15
mkstewartesq@co
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post
Frankly, if it is an issue they'll replace it for you, and until demand calms down at least you still have a fully functional phone.
Agreed. It bothers me, but it's not like the phone is broken or doesn't work. And given the warranty length, it's not something I have to deal with immediately. Apple has always been pretty fair to me in the past with dusty-under-screen issues, etc.

M
mkstewartesq@co is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:14 AM   #16
iPhonedHome
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dallas
I know you stated that you do not have an external camera, but do you have a 3GS or other phone you can snap a pic?

I'll let it go after this one.
iPhonedHome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:19 AM   #17
taybo20
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tempe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsplatpc View Post
Everyone I know in the world has a camera, why is it people on forums that make claims NEVER have even a point and shoot?
I tend to agree with this. Always seems to happen on tech forums too...
taybo20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:21 AM   #18
jojofsu75
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I had this same problem with a launch day palm pre from sprint. Mine was the screen and I had to wait a while for a replacement.
jojofsu75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:22 AM   #19
bahooki
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtj111 View Post
Please god no

It put me off buying iMacs for live after that fiasco... please don't let this happen to iphone...
Agreed. I'll never buy another iMac. Especially after Apples idiotic and heartless handling of the matter.
bahooki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:32 AM   #20
mkstewartesq@co
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhonedHome View Post
I know you stated that you do not have an external camera, but do you have a 3GS or other phone you can snap a pic?

I'll let it go after this one.
This is the best I could do, and you can't see much, because my (now OLD) 3G dims the pictures a bit. So I'm sure people will say I'm just seeing things, but the yellow is pretty pronounced in person.

Sorry for the big pic file sizes. No way to reduce at work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phone 003.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	232905   Click image for larger version

Name:	phone 002.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	232906  
mkstewartesq@co is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:35 AM   #21
samven582
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkstewartesq@co View Post
This is the best I could do, and you can't see much, because my (now OLD) 3G dims the pictures a bit. So I'm sure people will say I'm just seeing things, but the yellow is pretty pronounced in person.

Sorry for the big pic file sizes. No way to reduce at work.


iMac fiasco all over again
samven582 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:35 AM   #22
Mark Booth
macrumors 65816
 
Mark Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
You are standing under florescent tubes which, depending on color temperature, can easily lend a yellow cast to white surfaces.

Have you tried viewing it under other lighting conditions, like outdoors?

Mark
Mark Booth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:36 AM   #23
woosah
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FL
I believe you, but I can't make anything out in that pic.
__________________
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz - iPhone 8GB - iPhone4 16 GB - iPod Nano 2GB
woosah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:42 AM   #24
mkstewartesq@co
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Have you tried viewing it under other lighting conditions, like outdoors?

Mark
No, have not. Will at lunch time and report back. But the yellowing is very localized on the screen, just to be clear - it's not that the whole screen looks yellow/has a yellow cast, as it would (I'd expect) if it was merely the effect fo the overhead lights. When I move the menus in Settings, it's easy to see the yellow spot is stationary.
mkstewartesq@co is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:44 AM   #25
mkstewartesq@co
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
And I don't mean to get everyone up in arms. I may just a have the one-in-a-million "bum" unit. It happens. Doesn't mean everyone else here should be worried about the same problem.
mkstewartesq@co is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iphone 4 screen dead spots Jimmm1985 iPhone 0 Oct 20, 2013 06:15 AM
Yellow spots on screen? IUBall22 iPhone 7 Mar 10, 2013 04:18 PM
Yellow spots on screen? IUBall22 iPhone 1 Jan 14, 2013 12:58 AM
Light spots on MacBook screen jb1882 MacBook 5 Nov 30, 2012 02:27 AM
Bright spots on the screen TSE MacBook Pro 5 Nov 26, 2012 12:18 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC