Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:06 PM   #1
ihawkfreak
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 Low signal fix via Apple "Genius"

I went into my local Apple store today to see what they recommend to help with my no/low signal while holding my phone like I have since I was toddler. They of course want me to purchase an iPhone Bumper that they are currently sold out of or putting a piece of DUCT TAPE!!! on the corner of my phone for a cheap fix! Great suggestion from a real genius. Duct taping a $700 phone...Thanks Apple.
ihawkfreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:07 PM   #2
iPadztr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihawkfreak View Post
I went into my local Apple store today to see what they recommend to help with my no/low signal while holding my phone like I have since I was toddler. They of course want me to purchase an iPhone Bumper that they are currently sold out of or putting a piece of DUCT TAPE!!! on the corner of my phone for a cheap fix! Great suggestion from a real genius. Duct taping a $700 phone...Thanks Apple.
hahaha! nice.. that's really GENIUS...
iPadztr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:20 PM   #3
DustyLBottoms
macrumors regular

Quote:
silly boy

1.) You walk into the store, asking for help with a signal issue.

2.) Apple employees suggest the ONLY FIXES that will help you RIGHT AWAY.
(They have no control over the device, cell provider signal, or on-hand warranty units)

3.) You insult said Apple employees - when you are the one who left the store with the same issues you arrived with.

So...um....yeah.
DustyLBottoms is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:21 PM   #4
ItsThatKush
Banned

Quote:
did you pay $700 for the phone?
ItsThatKush is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:24 PM   #5
JonnyIreland
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyLBottoms View Post
silly boy

1.) You walk into the store, asking for help with a signal issue.

2.) Apple employees suggest the ONLY FIXES that will help you RIGHT AWAY.
(They have no control over the device, cell provider signal, or on-hand warranty units)

3.) You insult said Apple employees - when you are the one who left the store with the same issues you arrived with.

So...um....yeah.

Come on -you really think that Duct Tape was an acceptable answer from an Apple Store employee? That's ridiculous. Maybe they should just suggest "use a handsfree kit", I mean that would 'fix' the problem too, wouldn't it?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:25 PM   #6
hazeydavey
macrumors member

I called...they told me the same thing.

I put piece of scotch tape over area, used exacto knife...and it's great now.

As the Tech support guy told me "it's a band aid until they come up with a fix"

He hinted that most likely people will be offered a free bumper...or of course, return it.
hazeydavey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:26 PM   #7
StephenRzucidlo
macrumors member

your nuts you paid $700
Ipad 64gb WiFi/3g coming soon
StephenRzucidlo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:28 PM   #8
frenchie0101
macrumors 6502

flippin duck tape, thats real genius ???
frenchie0101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Bostonaholic
macrumors 6502

clear fingernail polish

...or pink if you prefer

Bostonaholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:30 PM   #10
technopimp
macrumors 6502

Scotch tape does not fix the problem for me. It really feels to me like less of the antenna arrays getting bridged as the whole antenna itself being covered up (as if everything needed to make it work was in that corner).
technopimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:33 PM   #11
iMetalG5
macrumors 6502a

I went back into the Apple Store (they know I have no life, hahaha, nah just a day off hanging out at the mall) and 2 people there said that the signal issue is sporadic. I showed them mine and wouldn't you know it didn't do it at the Apple Store just 1 bar lower. But anyway they said I HAVE TO BUY a case for it if I'm that worried about low signal. They had no cases and suggested I go to Best Buy and just get any old case and one guy overheard us and showed me his i4 with some decent case he said he ordered online last week for $3 and it solved the signal problem.

bottom line is you gotta put your i4 in a case.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:33 PM   #12
big0mar
macrumors regular

You mean they didn't give you a patch on-site?
big0mar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:33 PM   #13
KidStallyn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie0101 View Post
you can fix anything with bailing wire, duct tape and a hammer........you could build a nuke with those three items if you Macgyver!
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:39 PM   #14
i-John
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyIreland View Post
Come on -you really think that Duct Tape was an acceptable answer from an Apple Store employee? That's ridiculous. Maybe they should just suggest "use a handsfree kit", I mean that would 'fix' the problem too, wouldn't it?
Why did you go ask if you already knew what a good fix was?

The simple answer is if you want to handle the phone, get something that will cover the area so your skin can't act as a conductor.
i-John is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:42 PM   #15
i-John
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie0101 View Post
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
i-John is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:46 PM   #16
Bostonaholic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-John View Post
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
If it moves and it shouldn't, there's duct tape. If should move and it won't, there's WD-40.

Bostonaholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:46 PM   #17
wishman35
macrumors regular

The easiest solution is to never ever go for tech support to a "genius" typically you shouldn't trust someone if they have more than 5 pimples on their face.
wishman35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:56 PM   #18
zerostar
macrumors regular

I "fixed" mine with tape, it's scotch tape but the shiny 100% transparent kind not the "magic" flat/matte kind, that kind didn't work. I suspect clear glossy packing tape would do the trick too.

I at least can use it until there is a fix or I decide I need to return it...

Hoping for a software fix... seems something software-signal processing related to me.

When I have 5 bars I can't get the signal to go down at ALL by holding the corner or any other area, if I was indeed "shorting" out the antenna you would expect some movement.

However if I am in a 3-4 bar area it goes down all the way to no service then you back up to 3-4 bars when I let go, so either its a different modulation on some of the towers or the Phone is having a fit/crashing out trying to hold onto the weaker signal/interference.
zerostar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:05 PM   #19
stphnman20
macrumors regular

Duct tape? wth.. At least electrical tape.. geez..
stphnman20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone