Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Hi,
I'm travelling from the UK to France with my new iphone4. Are there settings I should be turning off to stop it from connecting it's self to the internet and running up a huge bill?
Thanks,
blinkie

realjd

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Be warned: if you leave your phone on and don't answer, it registers as a call forward when it transfers the person to voicemail. You end up paying international roaming for the minutes people are leaving you voicemail messages. If you leave your phone off, it won't do this. Depending on where you're going, look up the international roaming rates and decide if it's worth it to you. Remember you can have your phone in airplane mode (3G/voice/SMS turned off) while having wifi enabled.

And be sure international data roaming is turned off in the phone. That gets expensive quickly.

JustinP81

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Celebration, FL
Just turn your phone off completely.

International rates are crazy! I was in Europe for 2 weeks, and it was kind of liberating not having a phone on me.

Of course, once I got back to the states?

Phone on!

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
What about going to Settings --> General --> Network and turning off "Cellular Data". Will this shut overything off or just data usage?

Actually, I think it just terminates data. Airplane mode is the safest.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Airplane mode, and you can still turn on wifi if the hotel you're staying at has it.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Why do people suggest to turn off Push AND Data Roaming? Simply turning Data Roaming Off will turn off ANY data, even push.

So OP, if you're only worried about data you only need to turn off Data Roaming. If you want to avoid calls and texts too you should put your iPhone in Airplane Mode and then turn WiFi.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Airplane mode, and you can still turn on wifi if the hotel you're staying at has it.

Yep. When we went to Bermuda I turned on airplane mode then turned WiFi back on. Using Internet cafes, I was able to stay in touch without difficulty. I'm sure you can do the same in Europe.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

"Data roaming" off should work, although there have been some rare horror stories of woe over the years. (mostly from 3rd world local carrier scams)

I would think the new 4.0 option of turning off "cellular data" would be the ultimate kill switch for traveling data worries. If I understand it correctly, you still have a working iPhone in all respects (including wifi) minus the cell tower data use.

Sean

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
just keep it simple and turn on airplane mode. it turns off data and the cellular network on the phone, so it's essentially an iPod touch with a camera

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

"Data roaming" off should work, although there have been some rare horror stories of woe over the years. (mostly from 3rd world local carrier scams)

I would think the new 4.0 option of turning off "cellular data" would be the ultimate kill switch for traveling data worries. If I understand it correctly, you still have a working iPhone in all respects (including wifi) minus the cell tower data use.

Sean

Turning Data Roaming Off effectively does the same thing as turning off Cellular Data when you leave your country. Most (probably all) of the horror stories you hear are because either people didn't turn data roaming off or they turned it back on just "once in a while" and then were shocked when the bill came.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Thanks everyone. Just to clarify, does Data Roaming refer to my phone accessing the networks of local mobile phone companies? For calls or only for internet?

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Tips:

Make an email address that's only for international travel. Tell that address to your friends, no one else.

Get Google Voice and switch from Visual Voice mail to GV's voicemail, turn off sms forwarding. You can check messages via email or on the web.

Use GV SMS and check messages via email or on the web.

Thanks everyone. Just to clarify, does Data Roaming refer to my phone accessing the networks of local mobile phone companies? For calls or only for internet?

This is only the data usage. This includes email and all other data use, but not SMS (billed separately).

Hummingbird12

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
Just turn off voicemail, as well as data roaming.

Texts are free to receive anyway and you can choose which phonecalls you may wish to answer, bearing in mind you will be charged to receive them if you do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.