Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harlem

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Hello everyone,

some time ago i joined this forum and asked a question about switching from pc to Apple, i was also wondering if it was a smart thing to buy the current macpro (to be honest i don't really know all that much about hardware or computers in general) so after some responses from you guys i decided to wait it out a little more for the new macpro. i checked it last week but still not a new release, i emailed sjobs@apple (read on this forum that he sometimes replies) asking him about when we could expect the macpro and if the prices are going to be changed. To my surprise i got a response after 20 minutes:eek:

No Need to update yet. The current Mac Pro is still a very good and Powerfully efficient workstation.

Sent from my iPhone

does this reply make sense to anyone, i thought a new macpro was going to be released, is it save to say we wont be seeing a macpro for the next couple of months or even 2010, i'm not familiar with how Apple handles updates and stuff :confused:
and is it actually steve jobs replying or is this just an automated computer reply?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
You should reply saying something to the effect of "it's ridiculously expensive for what you get. I'll just make a significantly better spec'd machine and hackintosh it. And I'll do it for half the price."

StevieJobs

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Palo Alto
Hello everyone,

some time ago i joined this forum and asked a question about switching from pc to Apple, i was also wondering if it was a smart thing to buy the current macpro (to be honest i don't really know all that much about hardware or computers in general) so after some responses from you guys i decided to wait it out a little more for the new macpro. i checked it last week but still not a new release, i emailed sjobs@apple (read on this forum that he sometimes replies) asking him about when we could expect the macpro and if the prices are going to be changed. To my surprise i got a response after 20 minutes:eek:

No Need to update yet. The current Mac Pro is still a very good and Powerfully efficient workstation.

Sent from my iPhone

does this reply make sense to anyone, i thought a new macpro was going to be released:confused:
and is it actually steve jobs replying or is this just an automated computer reply?

Screenshot and Full Headers or it never happened.

-Steve

harlem

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2010

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
i don't have no reason to lie about it, don't even have a mac yet :(

but no problem
how do i open full headers (i'm on pc and use outlook express)

Also, is this imac

http://store.apple.com/fr/configure/MB953F/A?mco=MTM3NjAyNjA

a better option than this macpro at this moment

http://store.apple.com/fr/configure/MB535F/A?mco=MTM4MzEwOTM

to be honest i don't really care about having the latest, either way its going to be a huge improvement for me anyway

...will you really need the power and expandability of the MP?

Even if they do update them soon, unless your work requires it the iMac is powerful and expensive compared to other makers offerings (this is being typed on a HP a6650F quad AMD PC with a user installed 4450 ATi video card running win7 64bit with 2.5 Tb of internal storage = $509 out the door... it may not be as small as a mini but its my HTPC and its not loud at all)...

I like my iMac and dual monitor setup and its valuable for my work as work runs iMac's, my whitebook is also portable but I dual boot to winXP when needed and my eeePC gets carried everywhere for the size factor so I don't expect to upgrade any machines for at least another 3 years unless some groundbreaking software comes out that just won't run on my machines (my Wii and PS3 take care of my gaming wants)...

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
IF true, I think that a new MacPro is on the horizon
Who wants to watch video on their iPod?
We don't know how to make a $500 netbook that isn't a piece of crap
We have no intentions of entering the cell phone market.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Even if macpro update was 10 days away, this would be a logic move to sell off as many 09 macpros as possible. So, does this really mean anything? Judge yourself..

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
i don't have no reason to lie about it, don't even have a mac yet :(

but no problem
how do i open full headers (i'm on pc and use outlook express)

Also, is this imac

http://store.apple.com/fr/configure/MB953F/A?mco=MTM3NjAyNjA

a better option than this macpro at this moment

http://store.apple.com/fr/configure/MB535F/A?mco=MTM4MzEwOTM

to be honest i don't really care about having the latest, either way its going to be a huge improvement for me anyway

Comparing those particular iMacs and Mac Pros, you should purchase based on what you will be using your computer for.

IMO, iMac is the way to go. And even if the Pro's were updates tomorrow, you wouldn't be left in the dust by any means. It's still a beast of a computer.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep

Sent from my iPhone

Translation: "I've got my hands full with impending class action lawsuits over my faulty iPhone antennae and proximity sensors. I could care less about the Mac Pro right now" (or ever.........)

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Hmmm..

I emailed Steve Jobs a couple days ago asking if we would see a new Mac Pro this year or next year and never got a reply.

I'm skeptical about this one.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
CONFIRMED* uncle Steve wrote back to this guy
:D:D

who what how?

Until it's on the front page of MR, this is BS. A lot of people are pissed at how much the Mac Pro sucks and how much of a rip off it is. Jobs has to know that even if he reads even 1% of his emails (one has to have slipped through).

I smell BS and lies. I say we do to harlem what Middle earth did to Gandalf (nsfw language/truth)

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Even if macpro update was 10 days away, this would be a logic move to sell off as many 09 macpros as possible. So, does this really mean anything? Judge yourself..

That's true. If they were gonna update soon, it would make sense to try and get rid of all the old ones they still have in stock.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
That's true. If they were gonna update soon, it would make sense to try and get rid of all the old ones they still have in stock.
Is it really that likely that Steve Jobs would reply with a response like that with the intention of updating it within the next few weeks?

Either way, that's just really frustrating to hear.

harlem

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2010
i received an email response about 20 minutes after i had send it...now how do i know if its actually steve jobs doing the replies, some computer generated reply or some guy getting payed to awnser the emails...very simple, i don't know and i don't have a direct line so i can ask him. you believe it or you don't, really that simple but i don't see a reason for me to just pick it out of thin air...i'm in the market myself for a Mac system my very first one if i may say so:D

when i go to email properties (is this the headers you mean stevie jobs?) i get this (i left my data out)

Received: from mail-out3.apple.com ([17.254.13.22])
Received: from relay14.apple.com (relay14.apple.com [17.128.113.52])
Received: from elliott.apple.com (elliott.apple.com [17.151.62.13])
by relay14.apple.com (Apple SCV relay) ... etc

i'm still not sure if i should buy the imac or macpro...when reading this forum it seems that the imac gives to most performance for my buck at the moment and i get to save 1000$ :D....and as mentioned before it will be a huge improvement anyway, at the moment i'm on pc with the first generation dual core and 2 Gb of memory...if i'm right even the macmini is faster wright?

mmmm luxury problems

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I swear I've seen a Steve-mail in the past that sung the same tune as the one posted here.

T'was at least a couple years back, so I can't recall the details (like exactly when).

If anyone else can remember, then maybe we can figure out what Steve's angle is on this based on the past - assuming this email is real (while also proving I haven't gone insane and made stuff up :p)

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
IF true, I think that a new MacPro is on the horizon
Who wants to watch video on their iPod?
We don't know how to make a $500 netbook that isn't a piece of crap
We have no intentions of entering the cell phone market.

Didn't SJ say at the ATD conference in June that Google was in for a world of hurt with Google TV for variety of reasons? And now there are rumors that Apple TV is about to be revamped.

You are right. One seemingly can read more into what SJ says Apple will not do. Mac Pros must be just around the corner if this email is authentic :rolleyes:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
In any way I would wait for either iMac or Mac Pro to be updated before I bought something, unless you really need it right now.

The i5 iMac isn't bad value tho, the screen alone is costly if you want something similar. The Dell Ultrasharp U2711 is the closest screen you get compared to the iMac and it costs $1099 from Dell (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=224-8284&redirect=1)

The iMac is $1999, so you'll pay $900 for a i5 2.66GHz Quadcore with 4GB RAM and 1TB HD and Ati 4850.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.