Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jul 4, 2010, 07:52 PM   #1
dsprimal
macrumors 6502a

world of warcraft not playing after i click "play" button. please help!

i bought wow at a local store, put in the cd, installed everything + patches. opened the world of warcraft shortcut and clicked "play" in the world of warcraft window and then my screen goes black like its about to run WoW, but nothing happens. ive been forced to manually press the power button to shut down my mac. i've even went to the blizzard site or "battle.net" and put in the authentication code thinking that was my issue. but nothing happens still.

ive never had wow, so i dont know if i need to setup a PAYMENT subscription 1st before playing, but isnt the 1st month free? i dont think this is the issue either tho. i dont see any WoW intro, or anything.

please can anyone help me. thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Don't have any paid time right now, but the newest patch login screens seems to be at least getting me to the server and telling me i'm out of time.

When I was playing, they did have some sever issues, and since there is a recent new patch and a holiday weekend ... having hangs on "connecting" wouldn't be too unusual.

---

Where I'm at right now the connection is simply awful or i'd check further. Not even worth the effort when my connection is marginally above dial up.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:03 PM   #3
dsprimal
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Baked View Post
Don't have any paid time right now, but the newest patch login screens seems to be at least getting me to the server and telling me i'm out of time.

When I was playing, they did have some sever issues, and since there is a recent new patch and a holiday weekend ... having hangs on "connecting" wouldn't be too unusual.

---

Where I'm at right now the connection is simply awful or i'd check further. Not even worth the effort when my connection is marginally above dial up.
i dont even get to the menu screen, no music, no cursor, nothing. all black screen after clicking the play button
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

The forum will say if the newest version 3.3.5.12340 has problems with the i7.

If you don't find anything.

I would say, go to hotmail and sign up for a free e-mail account, and go to blizzard and sign up for a free trial account using the new email download the trial version -- or use one of the 10-day cards.

If that gets you in and playing, simply sign in with your activated battlenet account and let it upgrade the trial version of the downloaded app to full.

Generally the shortcut i've always used has been World of Warcraft Launcher.app which shows the news and downloads, prior to starting WoW.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:26 PM   #5
Kendio7
macrumors member

It doesn't make any difference if you don't have a subscription/account it should still allow you to get to log in screen. Do you have the latest software update?
Kendio7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:36 PM   #6
dsprimal
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendio7 View Post
It doesn't make any difference if you don't have a subscription/account it should still allow you to get to log in screen. Do you have the latest software update?
i dunno, the updates musta installed like 10 patches. how can i get the latest one?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:44 PM   #7
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Just try archiving the current install (to a .zip file) and download a copy of the trial (which should work) and see if it gets you in to play.

Then simply type in the active battle-net account, and let it update the trial to full version again.

Sometimes it is a pain, but sometimes you have to download again if something gets really screwed up.

---

Only reason i mentioned trying the trial download first it should be a version that will work with you current machine, which isn't always the case with the version on the DvD.

---

EDIT

Looked again, tried to redo a trial, didn't work, but the black screen is it trying to download a huge new trailer (what a freaking pain with a slow connection) and it looked like a slight change to login for me darn drop down sub accounts replace by new screen (wasn't used to that).

Last edited by Sun Baked; Jul 4, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
Sun Baked is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro